May 03, 2024, 06:59:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Something I hope I'll never have to read here

Started by gryphon, February 01, 2009, 12:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotham

Went to Sturgis in 1977 and for the next 5 years.  Back then,  there were 30,00 people and a few vendors.  Riding the Black Hills, swimming in Lake Pactola, camping out.  It was all great.  No more.  To many people, to commercial and to much of everything.  Those of you that got to go back then,  know what I mean.  Those that didn't get to go then, missed out on some uncrowded fun.

Ultrashovel

March 21, 2009, 08:21:14 AM #26 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:18:44 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: dablaze on February 01, 2009, 05:22:22 PM

what bugs me...

HD Golf balls = not riding on the nice days...

Just don't make sense to me.

Craig

I've still got two packages of Harley-Davidson cigarettes and a can of Harley beer from the 1995 Daytona gathering. I also recall that Custom Chrome used to sell condoms with the Harley brand on them. That's what I call "living the legend". Eh?

As to towing versus riding, it's not like the old days for sure. Many of the newer riders see motorcycling as a weekend venture rather than a life style.

The price of fuel has driven a lot of people to change thieir approach as well. It's just the way thnigs are.

biker3r

good memory lane reading here, got me thinkin when was the last time i went to sturgis, it was 1976, back then didnt own any leathers, it was the old sleaveless levi jacket. dont have much interest going to events anymore, like others said its just not the same, or i jus got older.

Big Ed

A Hd dealer had a 66FLH on ebay, they had some false info about a 66FLH.
I politely responded to point out the errors. After a few emails back and forth they told me " They're a HD dealer and they sell the biker lifestyle".  :wtf: 
I responded with, The biker lifestyle isn't bought, it's something you earn, if anything, you sell the Harley Davidson product lifestyle. 

Pzokes

I remember the great wet t-shirt contests, by the pool, at the Nova campground until a few years ago when the "born-again" bikers complained to the cops about the nudity and got it stopped.

I used to enter the oldest t-shirt contests at Boot Hill Saloon, but the shirt is a little small now.  And if you've been going there a real long time you'll remember what the previous name of The Boot Hill Saloon was.  My wife's girlfriend and her future husband got caught humping in the cemetery across the street one year.  

We used to have some great parties upstairs at Froggies.  Still have some pictures.  Too bad they won't let anyone up there anymore.

I remember the Daytona 11th St. Drags, and still have a T-shirt.

Still have a "Condemned" shirt from the original Iron Horse Saloon.  It was nice being able to drive your bike into the original bar to see if any of your friends were there, instead of just stopping outside and walking in.  

I still have some photos from when we were camping on the side of the highway in Laconia in the '60's.  One of my friends filmed the original Weir's riot in 8mm.  I guess his kids have the film now.

I remember sitting by campfires at runs and someone saying: "Wouldn't it be cool if so many people owned Harleys that the cops wouldn't harass us.  And wouldn't it be cool if the HD dealers didn't chase chopper riders out of their parking lots, and just took our money."

Sturgis is still great for the rides to surrounding areas, but that's it. Haven't been back there since the 90's.

I do have old Harleys and a newer Harley.  The new ones don't have soul, but on a long trip, it's nice to get out on the highway and put the cruise control on.  

We have traveled the whole county, and now we just like going to our favorite spots again.  The past five years I have had limited vacation time, and Fly & Rides work for us now.  We get to spend most of our time in the spots that we like.  I don't like riding the interstates. To me it's boring.  But, when I retire in a few years I'll be taking strictly long backroad motorcycle trips.

There's miles to go before I sleep.