April 28, 2024, 06:20:42 AM

News:

Power Vision questions

Started by BVHOG, August 16, 2012, 05:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rageglide

I had my original PV die spontaneously at about 2yrs 2 months...  No warning at all.  Working, then stopped.

Called Jamie, he had me talk to Dynojet directly and they had me do a few diag tests.  Dead as a door nail.   DJ had me send my unit to them so they could attempt to extract my original tune.  Couldn't.  I sent them a backup of the my .STK tune they loaded it to a new unit and sent it to me.  Easy peasy.  Even gave me the option to have black unit vs the chrome if I wanted to change.

:up: Unfortunate situation, but Great support!

Makdaddy

Quote from: rageglide on September 22, 2015, 02:03:55 PM
I had my original PV die spontaneously at about 2yrs 2 months...  No warning at all.  Working, then stopped.

Called Jamie, he had me talk to Dynojet directly and they had me do a few diag tests.  Dead as a door nail.   DJ had me send my unit to them so they could attempt to extract my original tune.  Couldn't.  I sent them a backup of the my .STK tune they loaded it to a new unit and sent it to me.  Easy peasy.  Even gave me the option to have black unit vs the chrome if I wanted to change.

Thanks
I am still gathering data
But it sounds like if I have a prob Fuel Motto will help resolve it, Unless a dog chewed the screen   :cry:
2010 Ultra

HD/Wrench

Dj has never been a issue warranty wise. We had two PV that where having trouble. Connection issues that was a hit or miss deal.  DJ took care of it no issues. So do not worry about where you buy as it does not effect warranty.  Direct to the company and they had me new units ASAP. :up:

Makdaddy

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 22, 2015, 03:44:40 PM
Dj has never been a issue warranty wise. We had two PV that where having trouble. Connection issues that was a hit or miss deal.  DJ took care of it no issues. So do not worry about where you buy as it does not effect warranty.  Direct to the company and they had me new units ASAP. :up:

Good to hear that DJ stands behind the product
Sorry to hear that you had issues with 2 units
That does concern me some, But it may be worth the roll of the proverbial dice so to say
I will def buy from Jamie and Fuel Moto
I like supporting the vendors that support us
2010 Ultra

Eglider05

Quote from: Makdaddy on September 22, 2015, 04:04:49 PM
Sorry to hear that you had issues with 2 units
That does concern me some, But it may be worth the roll of the proverbial dice so to say

Your concerned over 2 units with problems out of how many GMR has sold? I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. By the way GMR is also a  forum sponsor.

runamuck

while checking out the quick tune feature of my PV tuner while connected to my bike I noticed that heated o2 was set to on. my bike is an 09 ultra that does not have those so I unchecked that setting. my question is what affect could that have had on the bike. it seems to run fine although a little hot .

HD/Wrench

I did not post to make a point of I had a failure..  I do not know what the % of acceptable failure rate that DJ has nor do I care.

No way that you will not have units that fail.

My point was yes it can happen,  Yes DJ will take care of you . 

joe_lyons

I have accidentally dropped mine and the shop Power vision multiple times and they have fared much better than any cell phone I've ever dropped. My youngest son also colored on the screen with marker and crayon and all cleaned up and works just fine.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Makdaddy

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 23, 2015, 06:53:16 AM
I did not post to make a point of I had a failure..  I do not know what the % of acceptable failure rate that DJ has nor do I care.

No way that you will not have units that fail.

My point was yes it can happen,  Yes DJ will take care of you .

Thanks  I was not aware of you being a vendor, So yes I may have taken it as you personally having 2 failures
But I understand now.
On another note
Glad to have found your product page
I will def be getting the CompenSaver when I do my build over the winter

2010 Ultra

Coyote

Lot's of good info in this thread so I thought I might bump it back for those that may have missed it.

rbabos

Quote from: rageglide on September 22, 2015, 02:03:55 PM

Couldn't you just extract the existing PV tune from the ecm,  save it to WinPv, then load it back into the unit? After you get a new PV that is.
Ron

rageglide

Hey Ron,   I think DJ likes to do what they can to help insure a custom tune isn't lost.  I had backups so it wasn't an issue for me.

To your question specifically, I'm not sure how any common user would be able to extract a tune from the ECM using the standard WinPV software without a working PV unit.   Remember, my PV was a brick, totally dead, no OS function at all.  No way to use it as the interface (dongle) in between the ECM and my laptop.

Providing my .stk tune to Dynojet allowed them to "clone" my dead PV.   When I connected the new unit it was in a recovery mode.  It validated it was paired to the correct ECM and that was about it.

Here's what Stan at DJ said:

"   There are some other possible considerations you may want to take into account when installing the new unit on your bike.  The instructions on loading the stock tune back into your ECM prior to marrying the new unit to the bike will delete your existing tune.  If that tune is a custom one you may not want to lose it by  reloading the stock calibration.  If you are just using one of our pre developed tunes then you  can just reload whatever tune you are using.  If it is a custom tune then disregard the enclosed instructions and just marry the unit to the bike which will retain that tune as your original one and if you ever need the stock calibration you have it backed up on your computer."

Bob

Coyote

You can pull and STK file from the bike without the PV being married. In fact, you have to do this to get an add on license. So I don't see why you could not recover the map from the ECM.

rageglide

I wasn't asked to pull the map from the ECM.  There was no need for me to do it.

I am aware an unmarried PV unit would be able to pull a .stk tune from the ECM, that's how they marry.  But I was already running custom tunes.  Maybe that presents a problem for a new PV unit when marrying?   :idunno:

Jamie Long

When you marry a new PV it takes a mirror image of the ECM binary whether this is the OEM calibration or otherwise. This tune is saved in memory permanantly on the PV device as the Original Tune. You can use any PV to read any Delphi ECM, it does not need to be married however you can only convert the specific reads to .pvt viewable/editable format on the bike the PV is married/licensed to.

yobtaf103

Just finished my build 2011 Fatboy bolt- on 110 with later 103/ACR worked heads T-man 625 cams 10.6 comp

DJ sent me start map,(since dynoed) but problem is on win PV drop down there is no ACR on/off function under limits & switches

Need them working to save battery /starter in the long term

My UK DJ guy says my map (a 241 strategy?) cannot have this feature added nor my values transferred, only to another 241  which all have no ACR function, according to DJ US !

Is this true, find it hard to believe their software people cannot do this.

Bit gutted to say the least

Jamie Long

Quote from: yobtaf103 on July 08, 2016, 02:09:27 AM
Just finished my build 2011 Fatboy bolt- on 110 with later 103/ACR worked heads T-man 625 cams 10.6 comp

DJ sent me start map,(since dynoed) but problem is on win PV drop down there is no ACR on/off function under limits & switches

My UK DJ guy says my map (a 241 strategy?) cannot have this feature added nor my values transferred, only to another 241  which all have no ACR function, according to DJ US !

ACR is in the strategy 241 definitions however it is not a WinPv tune tune item. To enable or disable ACR's you will use Quick Tune with your PV device. Go to Program Vehicle>Quick Tune> under the second tab locate "ACR">check the box to enable. 

Sunny Jim

Jamie, your comment on any PV can read any ECM - if this is the case, and if you are running a PV that is not married to your ECM, can you still data log on you gauges setting and download that information on HD megalog viewer?

Sarhan

Quote from: Sunny Jim on July 08, 2016, 07:37:41 AM
Jamie, your comment on any PV can read any ECM - if this is the case, and if you are running a PV that is not married to your ECM, can you still data log on you gauges setting and download that information on HD megalog viewer?

Yes

Sunny Jim

Jamie Long

Quote from: Sunny Jim on July 08, 2016, 07:37:41 AM

Yes, absolutely. We use a shop Power Vision as a monitor/logging device on the dyno for a wide range of applications; you can monitor/log all of the avail ECM channels, reset adaptive fuel & idle trims, read/clear DTC's, essentially the only thing you cannot do with a non-married/licensed unit is write to the ECM.   

yobtaf103

Quote from: Jamie Long on July 08, 2016, 07:30:25 AM
Quote from: yobtaf103 on July 08, 2016, 02:09:27 AM

ACR is in the strategy 241 definitions however it is not a WinPv tune tune item. To enable or disable ACR's you will use Quick Tune with your PV device. Go to Program Vehicle>Quick Tune> under the second tab locate "ACR">check the box to enable.

Thanks Jamie