May 01, 2024, 08:28:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

57H or MR103 Cam

Started by r0de_runr, November 24, 2019, 06:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0de_runr

I've had 57H cams in my 2013 RGU 103, and my 2012 CVO 110. I like the power curve. But I did not like the ticking or clicking or top end noise.  I tried Rocker Lockers, no help.  Even heads cleaned up and behive springs put in the 110 (spring later broke). Those bikes clicked so bat it nearly had me pulling out a 44mag to put an end to it.  I don't know if it was the rockers, or the valves slamming shut, or the push rods hitting the tops of the pushrod tubes, or the TB butterfly and reversion.  But I never want to go through it again.

My current 103 is a 2014 Limited and it has no top end noise that I find undesirable or annoying. Under ESP it has a new water pump and compensator at 30,000 miles so I bet it will be good for another 30k at least. But it still has the stock lifters. ESP is up in April, so I'm thinking about doing the lifters before that. Just a little more work and a little more $$ to do the cam swap then also, doing it all myself.
I'm not unhappy with the bike, the power or much of anything about this bike.  I have BMW R1200RT for when I want to go really fast on a not so straight road.  My Limited has the trunk removed and no back seat nor rear footboards.  I ride alone, and mostly stay below 3k rpm. It is my long haul ride of choice though.
So there are benefits to swapping out the cam like replacing the inner cam bearings and checking the shoes.  But would I really pick up that much performance, that I would notice, with one of these two cams? (or the 222 or 570-2)?
I just really don't want any clicking. Period. The way it is now is nice from that perspective.
I have a V&H Propipe with the quiet baffle (but it is not quiet), but I could put on a de-catted stock pipe with CVO mufflers and still be happy.
I have a Big Sucker A/C.
I have all the tools and parts needed to do this swap except the cam and bearings.
Tell me to just "shut up and ride it"   Please.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

Don D

Any cam change on a late TBW bike will add to the clacking noise from the servo throttle blade. Even a heavy breather on a stocker will add to that sound.

rigidthumper

Sing along
♪ If you're happy and you know it, ♫ ride the beast,
♫ If you're happy and you know it, then your wallet sure shows it,
♪ If you're happy and you know it, ♫ ride the beast...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rigidthumper

I would do the better inner cam bearings and lifters just for peace of mind.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

r0de_runr

Quote from: HD Street Performance on November 24, 2019, 07:50:32 AM
Any cam change on a late TBW bike will add to the clacking noise from the servo throttle blade. Even a heavy breather on a stocker will add to that sound.

That's good to know.

r0de_runr

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 24, 2019, 08:05:02 AM
Sing along
♫ If you're happy and you know it, then your wallet sure shows it,
♪ If you're happy and you know it, ♫ ride the beast...

Going for a ride now.  75 today might be 80 tomorrow.

Texas Hll country.

Rockout Rocker Products

At one time I had the 57s in my 103 with a Ness Big Sucker open backed AC. The klucking at idle & drone at speed drove me nutz... Ventilator AC fixed all.  :up:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

AllenZ

I have a 2014 Ultra Classic. So I be-leave the only difference between yours and mine is you have slightly higher compression and mine is not a wet head. I had the MR103 cams installed and they are very quiet. I am also running a Supertrap Supermeg exhaust that is fairly quiet so any valve train noise would be observed. I had the MR103 cam installed over the winter a few year ago and I am sure there is some additional valve train noise but now I would have to ride a stock bike back to back with mine to realize the valve train difference. I also have a 1989 Electraglide with a S&S 124 that Hillside cycle bored to 127, head work, and raised compression. That has the S&S 640 cam in it and as it is not what you would call a quiet valve train it is pretty quiet for the size of cam it has. I be-leave the S&S cams are quiet do to there long duration.

As for power below 3000 RPM the MR103 woke my bike up. 100 TQ at 2375 RPM and 112 TQ at 3000 RPM. There are so many cam choices but I am very happy with the MR103.
[attach=1]
1989 FLHTC 124 S&S Bored to 127, Hillside Stage 3 cylinder heads, S&S 6 speed.

r0de_runr

Quote from: AllenZ on November 24, 2019, 11:28:34 AM
I have a 2014 Ultra Classic. So I be-leave the only difference between yours and mine is you have slightly higher compression and mine is not a wet head. I had the MR103 cams installed and they are very quiet. I am also running a Supertrap Supermeg exhaust that is fairly quiet so any valve train noise would be observed. I had the MR103 cam installed over the winter a few year ago and I am sure there is some additional valve train noise but now I would have to ride a stock bike back to back with mine to realize the valve train difference. I also have a 1989 Electraglide with a S&S 124 that Hillside cycle bored to 127, head work, and raised compression. That has the S&S 640 cam in it and as it is not what you would call a quiet valve train it is pretty quiet for the size of cam it has. I be-leave the S&S cams are quiet do to there long duration.

As for power below 3000 RPM the MR103 woke my bike up. 100 TQ at 2375 RPM and 112 TQ at 3000 RPM. There are so many cam choices but I am very happy with the MR103.
[attach=1,msg1324253]

Yes, I came across that chart and found it a bit confusing, but was able to read the high points.  Those numbers are much better than my CVO stock numbers.

I'll consider my options.  Rode it today and still am quite happy with it.  But boredom will set in and swapping the cams isn't hard.  I would just keep my stock cams asd put them back in if I hated the results.

Hillside Motorcycle

The S&S MR103 is a un-sung cam.
Does not fall into the "cam-o-the-month club" scenario, but it works VERY WELL.
Used it many times in 103's and 107"s, with great results.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Geezer_Glider

Andrews 54 is another good cam in a 103. Usually quiet and smooth, though a bit more compression really makes it work.
Just a suggestion,
R Meyer

r0de_runr

I ordered the MR 103 cams. $305

I already have all the gaskets, small parts, and tools necessary for this.

Only other thing I need is adjustable pushrods.  I have a set of S&S Standard (non-quickie) and the tubes.

I'm looking at the Kuryakyn 577 Crusher Adjustable Pushrods .  Anyone use them with bad results?  $89.

Don D

Why not use what you have?

jjdalynh

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on November 25, 2019, 04:01:04 AM
The S&S MR103 is a un-sung cam.
Does not fall into the "cam-o-the-month club" scenario, but it works VERY WELL.
Used it many times in 103's and 107"s, with great results.
scott, what are your typical numbers with the MR103, and what exhaust(s) have you found work well with it and stock heads on a 103HO?  I did one this summer and was a bit disappointed with the results, but i'm thinking it may have had more to do with the exhaust that was already on it than anything else.....  (Samson silver bullet true duals)

Hillside Motorcycle

Last 107"/MR103, client assembled and brought back for tuning with OE untouched heads, unsure of the true-dual exhaust brand, K&N large oval air cleaner, went 96 hp, and 116 super flat torque....sae. 
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"