April 23, 2024, 09:25:15 AM

News:

Bearing support plate bolts

Started by jerite, August 25, 2012, 06:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerite

hey all....running an open belt on my shovel chopper. i installed a bearing support plate on my trans...if nuts are torqued all the way down it seems to make things real tight on trans. can anyone tell me how much im supposed to torque the 4 nuts down on the plate? thanx in advance.......jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

billbuilds

Looks to be 18-22 foot pounds. Where's it binding now, at the trans sprocket nut?  Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

easyricer

I had that same issue a few years back. The China made plate wasn't centered right on the mainshaft. I wallered the holes out a bit for it to center itself better and it worked ok. The best bearing support plate is a hacked up old primary. At least you know the holes are all right.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

jerite

Thanx guys. yes bill at the nut. this support plate is a primo one so not cheap china junk. maybe i need to space it between plate and trans? what ya think?......TIA...........Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

billbuilds

Jer, Yes, shimming at the trans mounts was what I was thinking too. Shouldn't need much. If you get some shim stock try drilling your holes first with a Unibit then cut the four of them out of that single piece of stock.  Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Skooterbumm

I purchased a support from v-twin. Same issue and the area that should seat against the trans is rough cast not machined at all... in other words basically junk 

Excalibur

I shimmed mine about 1/8"? to clear rear chain. Made the 2 shims from simple aluminum plate. Loctite blue on the bolt threads. Working well.

dusty1

Don't see anything wrong with shims but I would probably modify support bracket holes first.