September 20, 2024, 10:53:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

wiz clutch

Started by happyman, November 29, 2012, 06:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: gordonr on April 24, 2014, 02:44:57 AM
Quote from: Max Headflow on April 23, 2014, 11:15:05 PM
Lever Pull tester..

[attach=0]

Max

I imagine the lever pull test would done on a hydraulic clutch system and not a cable?

It would be better if all you were concerned about was the actual pull from the pressure plate.. Static friction is lower in a hydraulic system.. Still cable is a valid worser case..

Quote from: laserp on April 24, 2014, 04:06:11 AM
Does the wiz displace the spring more axially?
Spring rates are lbs/in and are linear right? The more you displace them the higher the spring force.
Maybe the wiz compensates it's mechanical advantage by a larger displacement?
I think moving the fulcrum towards the center reduces the spring rate, reducing the lever force, but adds more displacement to get the pressure plate force.
Just thinking.
Laserp

No,

Interestingly diaphragm springs are constant rate springs. Their pressure changes very little with compression.. I was worried about getting the amount of compression correct here for measurements but force measured  in the  test here but found it not an issue..

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,69372.msg750210.html#msg750210

It's displacement or actual deflection is less it not add leverage to the pressure plate, it is taking the leverage away.  This unit is nothing more than a VPC without the centrifugal assist..

FSG shows what it does here very well..

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,57570.msg752962.html#msg752962

Max

laserp

Quote from: laserp on April 24, 2014, 04:06:11 AM
Does the wiz displace the spring more axially?
Spring rates are lbs/in and are linear right? The more you displace them the higher the spring force.
Maybe the wiz compensates it's mechanical advantage by a larger displacement?
I think moving the fulcrum towards the center reduces the spring rate, reducing the lever force, but adds more displacement to get the pressure plate force.
Just thinking.
Laserp

No,

Interestingly diaphragm springs are constant rate springs. Their pressure changes very little with compression.. I was worried about getting the amount of compression correct here for measurements but force measured  in the  test here but found it not an issue..

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,69372.msg750210.html#msg750210

It's displacement or actual deflection is less it not add leverage to the pressure plate, it is taking the leverage away.  This unit is nothing more than a VPC without the centrifugal assist..

FSG shows what it does here very well..

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,57570.msg752962.html#msg752962

Max
[/quote]

Thanks Max. I did see that post and should have remembered that. I never would have guessed. :up:
Laser
02 117 Softail/10 Ulta Limited

Bigbluff

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on April 23, 2014, 11:15:05 PM
Lever Pull tester..

[attach=0]

Max

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Max...since the attachments with your testing results have been removed, could you summarize your findings and post that summary here? I'm curious as to whether you confirmed your earlier posts or did you confirm Mr. Wizard's claims? Or somewhere in between?

I'm just starting to deal with arthritis in my hands and looking for a way to reduce clutch pull without losing clutch capacity. I already have the SE spring and Harley's EZ pull ramps. I am also running SAC grips, which are a larger diameter...therefore lever travel is reduced a bit...
In all that time he was riding through the desert he could have named that horse

Karl H.

As written by laserp above: "This unit is nothing more than a VPC without the centrifugal assist"

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Bigbluff on December 06, 2016, 08:36:16 AM
Lever Pull tester..

[attach=0]

Max

Max...since the attachments with your testing results have been removed, could you summarize your findings and post that summary here? I'm curious as to whether you confirmed your earlier posts or did you confirm Mr. Wizard's claims? Or somewhere in between?

I'm just starting to deal with arthritis in my hands and looking for a way to reduce clutch pull without losing clutch capacity. I already have the SE spring and Harley's EZ pull ramps. I am also running SAC grips, which are a larger diameter...therefore lever travel is reduced a bit...

[attach=0]

kd

[

[attach=0]

[/quote]

Admiral, .... wasn't there a color code (paint flash) associated with each of the spring thickness / pressures? Maybe that came from someone else.  :nix:
KD

Templer

Any one use this with the Baker ball ramp change?? The one used with there throw out setup? Mine seems to be different then OEM with Pro Clutch/Baker setup."Have a GRIP"? "NO SLIP!!"

Side note for all!!! riders vers cages:   Shut the CELL up and DRIVE!!! :hyst:  :oops:

Bigbluff

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on December 06, 2016, 05:50:52 PM
Quote from: Bigbluff on December 06, 2016, 08:36:16 AM
Lever Pull tester..

[attach=0]

Max

[attach=0]

Thank you Max,

So it would appear to me that to reduce clutch effort I have the choice of changing leverage, which will increase the lever travel and therefore probably require going back to stock thickness grips, or going with a VPC that will use lighter springs, but then have the centrifugal clamp.

Decisions Decisions!
In all that time he was riding through the desert he could have named that horse