Winter Special ? 88” to 95” Stage II E.F.I. w/cams 02-06 Touring

Started by nwrvman, December 06, 2012, 04:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwrvman

88" to 95" Stage II E.F.I. w/cams  02-06 Touring, REG. $2,545.00 NOW $2,045.00
What do you guys think?!
I have $3,000 to spend this winter on upgrades and I want to spend it wisely.
I'm looking for little more horse power and reliability, doing mostly two up loaded touring.
My Bike is Ultra Classic 2004 w/big sucker air intake, Rineharts slipons with power commander III
Thanks for your input.
John

Coff 06

I would think you could make your money go farther by contacting one of the Builders here on the forum instead of a kit.       COFF 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

nwrvman

Coyote

Quote from: nwrvman on December 06, 2012, 04:49:03 PM
Who?!
Which builders?!
What do you suggest?!

Looking in the Dyno or Vendors section might give you a clue or two.  :doh:

Coff 06

Take a look at the vendors list.Vee Twin Racing,Hillside,Fuel Moto, and there are others.Maybe just give them a call,see what's up.Can't hurt.       COFF 06

nwrvman

Going with Vendors on here it will require me to do the work, which is not a problem, but i don't have the necessary special tools needed.

Coff 06

Not many "special" tools needed for a big bore and cams,most can be rented at local auto parts,not very expensive.The most expensive tool is the book  :wink:      COFF 06

koko3052

Let's see... bore $200, cams $250, gaskets $100, pistons & rings $250, cam kit $70..... now how much "beer money" does that leave you with? (if you can do it yourself) :hyst:

Coff 06

Don't forget head work :teeth: you can have it all for that,and change$.        COFF 06

Rags722

Wonder if the dealer kit for 02 - 06 includes ( and IMO you would have to be crazy not to toss that in) the hydraulic cam plate/tensioners and improved oil pump.  If it does, add another $500.00 to the parts cost and you start getting to a pretty fair price for labor assuming you can't/won't do the labor yourself.

Second part of the puzzle, find out up front if the price also includes the reflash to go from stock to a cammed 95.  If not, you will also need a flash at a bare minimum or a fuel management system and dyno time ( figure another $600 or so) to run right.

HD/Wrench

Well start with what state you live and go from there.. your budget will allow a very nice build and depending on what you are looking for heads may not even be needed, OR pick up a set of later style 06+ heads and use them.  Most kits with a BB bolt on kit with a mild cam and stock heads can and do make some great tq where most ride. Good luck with the project.

nwrvman

Later style 06+ heads ?! are those equivalent to screamin eagle heads? There are some selling on eBay I just don't know what I'm lookin for.
I would love to do the work myself, also I could pick up the parts at 20% off this month I think.
If i could get like a parts list from someone here so I can go shopping, would be nice to spend the $3,000 on parts and do the work myself, that would be great.
Thanks
John

koko3052

nwrvman

Koko, trust you me I've considered it, still in the back of my head, but i cant find someone to talk to about the install, questions I have eg. cruise control, etc.
Dealers around here in WA seem to be CLUELESS, went in person to couple local dealers to parts department and they know about
the 120R but can't tell me more, either don't know it or act like its some sort of classified info...
I also called three different dealers here in WA for the the 95 built  and every one seem to have a different idea in which direction I should go...is why I'm so confused.

Ohio HD

Quote from: nwrvman on December 07, 2012, 08:12:06 AM
Later style 06+ heads ?! are those equivalent to screamin eagle heads? There are some selling on eBay I just don't know what I'm lookin for.
I would love to do the work myself, also I could pick up the parts at 20% off this month I think.
If i could get like a parts list from someone here so I can go shopping, would be nice to spend the $3,000 on parts and do the work myself, that would be great.
Thanks
John

No, the later model heads will get you maybe around 10% more flow over the early heads. Here's some interesting reading of head flow comparisons that were conducted a few years ago. Not by me, had nothing to do with the study, just think it's informative.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=128

HD/Wrench

Flow number compared to what they make for power is another study..  :teeth: We have seen first hand that even with the small gains in flow that they respond very well as well the beehive stock springs will handle more lift.  Look at that 88 inch that we dropped in the Andrews 48 cam.   in the 50,000 mile range on the engine and the stock tensioner where going south.. Swapped the cam and it made 82/90 on a box stock 88 incher.. A 95 or 98 inch kit would be even better and still be low budget when you add the cost of upgrading your stock heads.. Heck sell your stockers back off and you will offset cost even more.. More than one way to get a great running bike without breaking the bank..

However a solid 95/98 kit with heads etc will really wake you up..  Tons of them out there as well...

Many guys have run a 95 incher with the older heads and a cam and are making right in this same power range as the 88 with the 48.. Yes it is a hyd chain upgrade kit but well worth it from what you currently have.. Ton of options take your time and decide what you want..

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

wurk_truk

Oh No!

nwrvman

HD/Wrench

nwrvman

Yeah, I just got off the phone with Brad there at Latus HD.
He/they are the only ones out of 4 dealers in the PNW that knew about the 120R the associated parts and installation. If i can get them to discount the package 20% I will bite the bullet and go with 120R

John

Nooter99

If you don't mind saying, what was the ballpark figure on doing the 120?
I'm in the same boat as you, am thinking about doing a really strong 95" build on my 2001 Fat Boy, but am open to other options if pricing is reasonable. I'd like to keep the budget around 4k, with a lot of the grunt work (part swapping) being done by me, in my very marginally equipped garage. 

Edit: now that I think of it, will a 120 even go in a 2001 Fat Boy?  :nix:  :scratch:
:embarrassed:

Shows ya how much I know.
Better to die a million dollars in debt, than with a million in the bank!

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: nwrvman on December 07, 2012, 09:15:51 AM
I live in Auburn WA.

We recently helped set up a 110" CVO, for a client that lives in Auburn.
Had it tuned by Russ at Lone Wolf Performance, Vancouver Island. :up:
He said it was worth the ferry ride over there.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Coff 06

Give Don at Deweysheads.com a call.He is in your area,( Tacoma )and really knows his stuff.        COFF 06

Dogbone45ACP

Don Dorfman of Head Designs by Dewey is in your backyard. Up in Edgewood.

mmesa005

Quote from: nwrvman on December 07, 2012, 09:34:51 AM
Yeah, I just got off the phone with Brad there at Latus HD.
He/they are the only ones out of 4 dealers in the PNW that knew about the 120R the associated parts and installation. If i can get them to discount the package 20% I will bite the bullet and go with 120R

John

Latus is my default mail order for HD Parts when I don't go to my local dealer. They are great to deal with!
Regards,
mmesa005 - 03 Dyna FXD, S&S 98"/79cc heads + more!

Coff 06

Now that we made this confusing,which direction are you headed?         COFF 06

PoorUB

Quote from: nwrvman on December 06, 2012, 04:20:42 PM
88" to 95" Stage II E.F.I. w/cams  02-06 Touring, REG. $2,545.00 NOW $2,045.00
What do you guys think?!

A few years ago I bored the stock jugs to 95", Andrews 26 conversion cams, late model cam plate, chains and spockets, milled about .030" off the stock heads. I ran the stock head pipe and some Ebay 2010 OEM mufflers. Had a Power Comander on it already. Did the work myself other then the bore and milling and had about $1,500 in at the end. It made 89 HP and 99 FT-LBS. I was a happy camper.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Jaycee1964

Quote from: Nooter99 on December 07, 2012, 09:51:52 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, am thinking about doing a really strong 95" build on my 2001 Fat Boy, but am open to other options if pricing is reasonable. I'd like to keep the budget around 4k, with a lot of the grunt work (part swapping) being done by me, in my very marginally equipped garage. 

Edit: now that I think of it, will a 120 even go in a 2001 Fat Boy?  :nix:  :scratch:

"124 will and it's even better...  :wink:
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Nooter99 on December 07, 2012, 09:51:52 AM

19290-12                            $5,995.95
Fits '01-'06 Softail models.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

bigbearkiller

A 95"/DTT ignition/head port/wiesco piston/lifters/"new"cam plate and Andrews cam....should be @$2500 MAX at a local indy....SHOP for this simple/low man-hour job....this aint rocket science.

nwrvman

I been talking to Don at Dewey's Heads here locally.
I'm going with his suggestion going to 95 and head work done by him.
I can't justify paying mid $8k for 120R, if it was mid $7k I might have.

Dogbone45ACP

dakota224

Quote from: nwrvman on December 10, 2012, 03:07:06 PM
I been talking to Don at Dewey's Heads here locally.
I'm going with his suggestion going to 95 and head work done by him.
I can't justify paying mid $8k for 120R, if it was mid $7k I might have.
Very Good Choice,, you will be a happy camper,   :chop:

Coff 06

Dogbone45ACP