splitting_lanes

Merc63

Wife isn't impressed with it sitting in the living room! Oh well!   :hyst:
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

koko3052

Can always get another one of those! :hyst:

Merc63

February 15, 2013, 07:19:59 PM #28 Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:33:30 PM by Merc63
Ahhhhhhhhhhh and let the headaches begin..

Got the throttle body, wiring harness, DTT TCFI, sensors, etc in today...

The intake manifold fits somewhat, but there is one bolt hole on the flanges that will not line up with the hole, its off maybe 1mm or 2mm.  Im wondering if I should drill out the hole on the flange some to create room for the bolt.. But are the bolts and flanges used to line the manifold up with the ports? Will this throw it off?

I have a MAP sensor for the DTT TCFI... Except I have no MAP sensor port on my intake manifold now because one of the fuel injector bosses was cut and welded into where the MAP sensor port used to be...   :banghead:

Mine,

2000 Dyna
126" S&S

NCTURBOS

If you don't mind me asking...  Where did you round up all the sensors for the throttle-body, and how much $$$?  I'm in the same boat with the carb. to EFI swap and needing parts.

Thanks,

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

build it

Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

Merc63

Quote from: NCTURBOS on February 15, 2013, 07:31:47 PM
If you don't mind me asking...  Where did you round up all the sensors for the throttle-body, and how much $$$?  I'm in the same boat with the carb. to EFI swap and needing parts.

Thanks,

K.

The money I have spent converting to EFI, I  SURE hope it was worth it!!! A Small fortune.

I bought everything from Dan Thayer.. TB, injectors, harness, DTT TCFI, all the sensors.

There is so many little things you need, that you dont think about and it starts adding up real quick!

IE, Needed a new stator and rotor from cycle electric for EFI, because the stock one doesn't put out enough juice... Another 400-500.

All the sensors, another 200-300.

I just hope it all works and is worth it... Maybe I should have tried the D carb on the street and seen how it was first, lol too late now.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

Admiral Akbar

QuoteThe intake manifold fits somewhat, but there is one bolt hole on the flanges that will not line up with the hole, its off maybe 1mm or 2mm.  Im wondering if I should drill out the hole on the flange some to create room for the bolt.. But are the bolts and flanges used to line the manifold up with the ports? Will this throw it off?

:doh:

You need to trim the spigots on the throttle body.. Check and make sure you have the right flanges. Good luck as this is getting a little scary..

Max

Merc63

Quote from: Max Headflow on February 15, 2013, 07:51:20 PM
QuoteThe intake manifold fits somewhat, but there is one bolt hole on the flanges that will not line up with the hole, its off maybe 1mm or 2mm.  Im wondering if I should drill out the hole on the flange some to create room for the bolt.. But are the bolts and flanges used to line the manifold up with the ports? Will this throw it off?

You need to trim the spigots on the throttle body.. Check and make sure you have the right flanges. Good luck as this is getting a little scary..

Max

Looks like they are the right flanges as they are oval.  The intake manifold fits fine without the flanges.. Do you think drilling out the hole some would work or are those holes used to line up the manifold to the port?

BETTER YET....

Cant get a socket around the head temp sensor, a normal socket isn't deep enough, a deep one is too long and hits the rear head..

A wrench wont work because the turn points are inside the head..

Looks like I have to pull the head off to get this sensor in... really!

Going to start drinking right away.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

build it

Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

Merc63

Quote from: Max Headflow on February 15, 2013, 07:51:20 PM

Max

Max,

I had .020 taken off the heads.  Could this be why the intake manifold is not going on properly?

2000 Dyna
126" S&S

HogBag

February 16, 2013, 12:23:46 AM #36 Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:27:25 AM by HogBag
I went through a similar problem when fitting 05 heads on my 07 with the later throttle body. The Allen head bolts need to be modified to suit the manifold as the bolt head is to wide and to long to get the turn into the thread on the head. The two bolts on the throttle body side need the mods from memory. I used a bench grinder to remove the excess bolt head to get the turn needed to get the bolt square. 

FXDRYDR

Very cool and love reading the updates.  You'll work through all the little nits.  They're always there.  Going to be well worth it!

Merc63

Dan said to run a small hose from the barb that is plugged off to the map sensor.  Gonna give that a try.

Also trimming down the intake spigot and going to cut a socket shorter to get on this head sensor.  Back at it today, moving forward.

:koolaid4:
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

Merc63

I took some off the intake manifold and got it on finally. Just sanded it down on a flat surface.

Throttle body and all the sensors, etc are bolted on. Got the 48amp stator and rotor on.

QUESTION:  Is there a specific orientation for the injectors to be turned?  Ive attached a pic.  I am not sure if it matters or not?

2000 Dyna
126" S&S

Ohio HD

Lookin good! As far as the injectors, where you have them is fine, they can be rotated around until the o-rings tend to get dry. When you fit the intake, did you leave a slight more room than just a precision fit between the heads? The reason I ask, is you want to allow for a little expansion and contraction room as the motor heats and cools. You really want the manifold basically suspended by the intake o-rings.

Merc63

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 17, 2013, 05:37:09 AM
Lookin good! As far as the injectors, where you have them is fine, they can be rotated around until the o-rings tend to get dry. When you fit the intake, did you leave a slight more room than just a precision fit between the heads? The reason I ask, is you want to allow for a little expansion and contraction room as the motor heats and cools. You really want the manifold basically suspended by the intake o-rings.

I shaved it enough that the flanges fit. Before shaving, it would fit without the flanges.  If the engine grew under expansion, wouldn't it grow longer and the cylinders farther apart??
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

Ohio HD

Quote from: Merc63 on February 17, 2013, 11:32:45 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on February 17, 2013, 05:37:09 AM

I shaved it enough that the flanges fit. Before shaving, it would fit without the flanges.  If the engine grew under expansion, wouldn't it grow longer and the cylinders farther apart??

Yes, I believe it would. But it has to cool off sometime.  :wink:

hd06

Looks good sitting on that hard wood floor   :up:  :wink:

Merc63

Quote from: hd06 on February 17, 2013, 05:11:26 PM
Looks good sitting on that hard wood floor   :up:  :wink:

Just doing a little work in the comforts of the living room... Wife not impressed.

Going to hook up the wiring harness tomorrow and fuel pump/ECM.  I have to wait for the tranny to get back from the shop, its getting new bearings and seals. Once its done, Ill throw the tranny and engine in and start piecing it back together.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

pwmorris

Now would be a good time to back cut those gears-or better yet send the trans to R&D for the works.
Especially if you plan on running an electric shifter when you go to the track.
Nothing worse than missing that 1-2 shift at 6k plus...

Merc63

I dont think I am going to run the electric shifter.  Maybe down the road, for now I just want to get it back together and running/tuned good.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

TXChop

Am i drunk, or are the injectors upside down?

Merc63

Quote from: TXCHOP on February 18, 2013, 06:01:56 PM

LOL, could very well be. I have never installed injectors before!  I put the side with the plastic cap in the throttle body, I just assumed that was correct.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

Merc63

Quote from: TXCHOP on February 18, 2013, 06:01:56 PM

After re-inspection, yes you are correct.  I just assumed without checking the plastic cap would be on the output.

Thank you for pointing that out.  Probably would have fired it up and wrecked the injectors.

Max, was right this IS getting scary hah.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S