May 09, 2024, 01:05:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

venting the heads to the ground...any benefit?

Started by No Cents, January 01, 2013, 05:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob71458

2007 SERK 124, S&S jugs,SE110 heads,640G's,11.5, 58/62 HPI,Bandit,DD7,Bzilla

Dakota

Here's how I did my 03 RK.  Drilled and tapped the vents from the heads--I'm using an SE backing plate--and connected both to a "T" just offset from the center of the throttle body and then ran a line between the cyl's to the left side and down between the primary and the transmission.  I don't have a catch can and have never seen anything drip from this at all but I suppose it may.  I plugged the vents in the backing plate by tapping and screwing in allen head screws in both with locktite and then sealing with some "Sinbad glue and filler" which seals it in case the screws might come loose.  I've had it this way for probably close to 10 years now.  Also did my 09 SERG basically the same way but used the stock backing plate on it.
  I'll post a second pic in the next post below.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

Dakota

A picture of the line on the left side of the engine.  This has been on there long enough that the stainless line has worn a couple of the fins on the rear cylinder--don't know if it shows or not.  Another advantage of this is the upward routing of the lines from the head vents tends to drain the oil back into the engine where it can flow back down inside the heads.  Hopefully just venting very light oil mist.

Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

Boe Cole

I've vented the breathers to ground on my last three bikes to avoid oil saturating the air filters.  It works well.  About the only drawback is if you have the vent in front of the rear tire and the engine coughs up a goober.....
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hilly13

I did it this way, got the idea from a member on here, cheers mate  :teeth:

Just because its said don't make it so

04 SE Deuce

If you mount a catch can on the backside of the A/C backing plate you can then run the "vent" hose from the can up under the gas tank or into the A/C as OEM/stock.   Rick

wolf_59

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on January 03, 2013, 05:45:05 PM
If you mount a catch can on the backside of the A/C backing plate you can then run the "vent" hose from the can up under the gas tank or into the A/C as OEM/stock.   Rick
Thats what I ended up doing but built one that fit inside the stock air box ran the vents into it and then back into the filter

hardheaded

Quote from: Hilly13 on January 03, 2013, 03:05:53 PM
that's pretty slick,you got pic's of how it's piped up from the heads to that pipe you can see in the pic? :beer:

TorQuePimp

Taiwan Ted has a catch can in polished and chrome with a bracket

FLHXHS

Quote from: Max Headflow on January 02, 2013, 07:07:15 AM
Quote from: FLHXHS on January 02, 2013, 05:41:39 AM
Curious what the thread is going into the head?

I dunno if it is 1/4" NPT, but if someone knows for sure.

I'd like to install breathers and tubing on my 120R.

Thanks

H

3/8-NC

Max

Thanks Max.
I'm thinking I'll tube in some lines using Swagelok fittings and 1/4 stainless.

Do most guys go to a breather can, or just give it back to Mother Nature?

Happy 2013

H
2017 FLHXSE
2009 FLHX - DMC Sidecar - Tuned by Lonewolf

Tsani

January 04, 2013, 11:31:49 AM #35 Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:48:15 AM by Tsani
Quote from: hardheaded on January 04, 2013, 08:19:57 AM
Quote from: Hilly13 on January 03, 2013, 03:05:53 PM
that's pretty slick,you got pic's of how it's piped up from the heads to that pipe you can see in the pic? :beer:
I did a similar set up.

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

Did it with what I had on hand

ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

I brought it thru the filter plate via a small drilled

ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

I attached my setup to the vent nipples using a hole drilled into the hose that was smaller than the "neck" of the nipple. I reused one of the "s" hoses to connect inside of the AC to the drain pipe on the out side. All in all, I have maybe 15 dollars into this and it works very well.

ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

I painted electrical staps black. I insert 3/8 hose with a piece of 1/4 hose inside it into the case opening. This allows a scew to bite into it and secure the straps.

ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

Overall, cheap mod, works and looks good.

ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Dan89flstc

Simple and effective.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Deye76

How much do these catch cans hold? I think the mini Jaz is a pint, can't imagine these things blow 16oz. of water/oil in a day long trip?  :embarrassed:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

TorQuePimp

Seems to me keeping an eye on what/how much you are getting out of there might be of some benefit

04 SE Deuce

IMO 16oz. is overkill, 4-6oz. should suffice if you drain it regularly..adding a drain hose that is plugged at the end can add a couple ounces.  Rick

strokerjlk

Quote from: Deye76 on January 04, 2013, 03:53:51 PM
How much do these catch cans hold? I think the mini Jaz is a pint, can't imagine these things blow 16oz. of water/oil in a day long trip?  :embarrassed:

about 4 oz in a day or 400-500 miles.on mine.
but it is important to drain them every ride. the more they have in them the easier it is to blow out the breather/filter.
my breather neck is split. I started it up today and it was streaming down the side.
when i loosened the clamp I found out why.
so I been looking for a replacement breather.
I came across this. some pretty nice stuff.
http://www.crawsracing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=177_178
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

burgies08ultra

2013 road glide,2009 road king

Jaycee1964

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 04, 2013, 06:02:17 PM
Quote from: Deye76 on January 04, 2013, 03:53:51 PM

about 4 oz in a day or 400-500 miles.on mine.
but it is important to drain them every ride. the more they have in them the easier it is to blow out the breather/filter.
my breather neck is split. I started it up today and it was streaming down the side.
when i loosened the clamp I found out why.
so I been looking for a replacement breather.
I came across this. some pretty nice stuff.
http://www.crawsracing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=177_178

Dude!!  I get next to nothing direct vent without a catch can on a 5-600 mile ride on my 124.  I'm glad I have no catch can as it would scare the $hit outta me to see that..  Sorry..... but that's just alot to me for 500 miles.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

RXBOB

Gotta agree stuff getting that much from a 500mile ride
this is mine with 5000miles