May 09, 2024, 08:25:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which Bob Wood Cams?

Started by ANNIVERSARY DEUCE, January 05, 2013, 11:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANNIVERSARY DEUCE

I'm posting questions for a friend. Bike is a 2013 Fatboy with 103" motor. He only wants to install some Wood's bolt-in cams and will open up the air cleaner and add some slip-on exhaust and will have a proper tune done, not just a flash. A big concern is heat generated in these motors after the TW tripple digit cams like the 222, 555 and so on that has been posted here over the last several months. He lives in Florida, does a lot of two-up riding and not a lot of high speed interstate type cruising. Please give me best advice based on experiences with these cams so I can help out a friend wanting a little more that stock

05FLHTC

SE 204 take the $100+ saved and use it for beer or women  or what ever :pop:

Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

marknett

I would also look into getting the cat out of it if it's stock headers .  Getting more heat from that already .  They are hi flow cats but do retain alot of heat and they are positioned close to the foot pegs

Soft 02

First I would say have him/her cal Bob Wood or one of the many builders here. For me I like the 555 but that one comes on later. I believe the 777 is similar but has a better bottom end but fall's of earlier.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

1FSTRK

Quote from: 05FLHTC on January 05, 2013, 12:02:31 PM
SE 204 take the $100+ saved and use it for beer or women  or what ever :pop:

Actually the SE 204 is not a Wood cam. Here is a link to the Wood cam site so that in the future you can check before you post and not keep making this same mistake so often when there is a thread about Wood cams.
http://www.woodcarbs.com/06-11cams.htm
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

1FSTRK

Quote from: ANNIVERSARY DEUCE on January 05, 2013, 11:58:47 AM
I'm posting questions for a friend. Bike is a 2013 Fatboy with 103" motor. He only wants to install some Wood's bolt-in cams and will open up the air cleaner and add some slip-on exhaust and will have a proper tune done, not just a flash. A big concern is heat generated in these motors after the TW tripple digit cams like the 222, 555 and so on that has been posted here over the last several months. He lives in Florida, does a lot of two-up riding and not a lot of high speed interstate type cruising. Please give me best advice based on experiences with these cams so I can help out a friend wanting a little more that stock

I have not seen alot of these threads could you post some links to them.
Thank you

05FLHTC

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 05, 2013, 04:15:08 PM
Actually the SE 204 is not a Wood cam. Here is a link to the Wood cam site so that in the future you can check before you post and not keep making this same mistake so often when there is a thread about Wood cams.
http://www.woodcarbs.com/06-11cams.htm

No chit really...man & here I thought well I'll be  :fish:

bob2002

Quote from: ANNIVERSARY DEUCE on January 05, 2013, 11:58:47 AM

What heat problem? The 222 isn't any hotter then the stock cams,it feels a little cooler,without the cat and these cams heat isn't a problem for me.
2012 Ultra Limited,Cobra Power Port Header,SE Mufflers,Wood 222 Cams,TTS

splitting_lanes

If you aren't taking the heads off, look hard at the 222.

If you can take the heads off and bump compression, the 555 or ?

Ask Bob Wood for his guidance also...  Just a suggestion.

ANNIVERSARY DEUCE

I used the search bar and typed in Wood 222 and 555 cams. Several threads came up and there were posts about excessive heat. Most were believed to be because of improper tuning, not the cams.

1FSTRK

Quote from: ANNIVERSARY DEUCE on January 05, 2013, 04:55:19 PM
I used the search bar and typed in Wood 222 and 555 cams. Several threads came up and there were posts about excessive heat. Most were believed to be because of improper tuning, not the cams.

Maybe I any just doing something wrong. I just tried it again exactly as you describe and I get 1 page of threads for each cam and no posts about heat. Could you please copy and paste the link to the threads or posts about the heat issues?

Lowcountry Joe

I've heard that the Woods cams are produced by Andrews.  I chose the new Andrews 57H for my stock 103.  I installed them in the garage and put a few hundred miles on that grind since install and I am very pleased so far.  I decided that if I was going to change my cams, I wanted something other than the HD smog cams.  Nothing wrong with the HD cams, but there are good alternatives that will provide you a very different result depending upon your riding preferences.  I believe some, not all, seem to stick with the HD grinds in hopes of preserving their warranty.  Maybe a good strategy, but it all depends upon who does your work.  If you do it yourself, then put in there what you want.  That way if it does not meet your expectations, then you can swap it out for something else and you are not slave to some kid with bad tattoos in a dealer service bay.
"Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne

05FLHTC

You have not drank the Woods cool-aid have you  :soda:

Tattoo

January 06, 2013, 05:18:30 AM #13 Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:08:22 AM by Tattoo
We (a Dealer) have done several woods 222 cams in 103" builds along with many Andrews 57. Lowcountry Joe, With all do respect You should never judge a working Man by his Tattoo's. :wtf:
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Lowcountry Joe

Tattoo...no disrespect intended.   However, people that happen to have tattoos that work in a bike shop are not the only working men on the planet either. 
"Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne

sfmichael

Quote from: Tattoo on January 06, 2013, 05:18:30 AM
We (a Dealer) have done several woods 222 cams in 103" builds along with many Andrews 57. Lowcountry Joe, With all do respect You should never judge a working Man by his Tattoo's. :wtf:

How did they feel or tune opposed to each other?
Colorado Springs, CO.

Hillside Motorcycle

We've used Wood cams here since the mid-1990's.
The Wood 222 is the plug/play cam for that engine, and BTW, I'm getting my tattoo's removed.......NOT.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

05FLHTC

What no mention about them stylish chain driven wallets?   :idunno:

Tattoo

[/quote]

How did they feel or tune opposed to each other?
[/quote]

both the 57 and the 222's tuned nice and run real smooth. we installed a couple sets of the 222 cams in trikes customers seem to love them.

No Cents

:agree:
Tattoo's and scars are on me for life...it's not an option to have any removed...they all tell a story here... :hyst:!

No Cents

:wink:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

ANNIVERSARY DEUCE

Like I said in the beginning, a friend wants Bob Wood's cams. He just wants good advice on which ones. As far as kool-aid goes, I have TW6HGs in my Deuce and it runs lik a stripe-assed ape from idle to 6600rpms. Enough said. Scott at Hillside was very instrumental in my decisions on Bobby's cams back then and I respect his opinion very much now. I just want to help my friend to make a good choice, that's all.

No Cents

Quote from: ANNIVERSARY DEUCE on January 06, 2013, 03:01:03 PM
Like I said in the beginning, a friend wants Bob Wood's cams. He just wants good advice on which ones. As far as kool-aid goes, I have TW6HGs in my Deuce and it runs lik a stripe-assed ape from idle to 6600rpms. Enough said. Scott at Hillside was very instrumental in my decisions on Bobby's cams back then and I respect his opinion very much now. I just want to help my friend to make a good choice, that's all.
Have your friend call this phone number:
(205)525-4949
Ask to speak with Bob...he can probably answer his question.

No Cents

:wink:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

sfmichael

"both the 57 and the 222's tuned nice and run real smooth. we installed a couple sets of the 222 cams in trikes customers seem to love them."

so are you saying the powerband and output are about the same?
Colorado Springs, CO.

Tattoo

the 222's were more of a bottom end cam the 57's made power up top as well. Tuesday I will pull up the Dyno results and print up a graph of the two.

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

acbacb

I am extremely happy with the 57 for a bolt-in. See the Dyno section for acbacb's 103. She did pretty good. 109tq/100hp SAE w/ no headwork.
2012 FLHX Street Glide