April 27, 2024, 01:23:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SHE'S BACK AFTER 28 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by amf 71flh, January 16, 2013, 06:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amf 71flh

I have to share this with folks who will understand....

In May of 1976, right after I was discharged from the Marines, I bought this brand new 1976 XLCH from Pancieras Harley-Davidson, which is now out of business. I rode the piss out of it and  had more pussy on the back seat than I can even remember.

In 1985 I sold it to a local motorcycle shop and that was the last I ever saw it again; until last October... I was looking through Craigs List and I came upon a 1976 XLCH for sale in Johnston, R.I. which is about 50 miles from me. I knew this could not be my bike, I mean, how could it after all these years??

I still had my old paper work with the VIN so off I went. IT WAS MY OLD BIKE!!!!!!!

So I bought it and here she is in the last stages of restoration, and yes, she was Orange when I bought her.

She will never leave my side again!!!!!!!!!!

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Slammers

Sweet!
I want to hear more about the "potty mouth".  :potstir:
Slam '04 FXDL

amf 71flh

This is a G rated site but I think you get the picture....

garyajaz

nice..................very nice.

did i mention nice?

moose

great find time to go buy a lottery ticket or stand outside and get struck by lightening

:)
Moose aka Glenn-

14Frisco

tomcat64

very cool,,my 1st was a 78 xlcr,,, damn i wish i had never sold it...

Soft 02

Cool story! I dont want any of my old sleds back.....
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Sixspeed

"The HAPPIEST people just make the Best of Everything"

Blackcherry Low

She looks great man!  Is that orginal paint and stripes? 

I'm happy as a pig in "Potty mouth" to have mine too, it's not the one I had when I was a kid, but I'm ok with that, it's identical otherwise.  All original and in much better condition than I'm sure my other one would be by now.

Soft 02

OP so what was the sellers response when you wanted YOUR bike back?
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

amf 71flh

Like the cheap Yankee that I am , I did not tell him it was my old bike until I chiseled him down from $2,300 to $1,600. But I knew it was mine right way before even checking the VIN by the primary cover decal, a custom eagle points decal, and the road rash on the front calipar caused by one of many late night blasts coming home from the bars at Narraganset Beach with the young 18 year old honeys. Those were the best years of my life and I didn't even know it....

This is what she looked like in October. Paint was horrible, fenders cracked, wiring harness hacked, and lots of backyard mechanic work like stripped and rounded screws and bolts. I did a top-end in 1984 and went .010 over on the pistons at that time with new Manley valves and guides. The motor looks like it's never been apart since then. She runs real good and does not smoke so until next winter I'll leave the mill alone.

DGlide04

Great find, makes me wish I still had my '82 Ironhead.  My first new HD, kept that for 22 years until I sold it for my Superglide which was sold 5 years ago for my current Road King.  Sure would be nice to have that for a second bike.

chopper

Very very nice.  Great story, too

Who would have ever believed the day would come when you could buy a running Sportster
for 1600 bucks?
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

tracerbob

My 76 FX is that same color.  I still have the bike and the original tins are with it too.  Thinking about restoring it to stock too.

Blackcherry Low

Quote from: tracerbob on January 18, 2013, 12:35:39 PM
My 76 FX is that same color.  I still have the bike and the original tins are with it too.  Thinking about restoring it to stock too.

An FX is what I'm looking for next, 75 or 76.

amf 71flh

having an original paint anything from the 70's is rare, let alone an orange FX!!!!  PICS PLEASE!!!

blackcherry, do yourself a favor, get an FXE!!!  My 76 FX is a mother to start at times

:cry:

saltcaveminer

great find.i know you will do her right.Salty

amf 71flh

thanks salty, still waiting for you to bring the barn bike back to R.I. and visit.....

chopper

blackcherry, do yourself a favor, get an FXE!!!  My 76 FX is a mother to start at times

My 76 was too, until I put a 38 Mikuni on it. Now 1 or 2 hot or cold.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

saltcaveminer

thank you, that sounds like fun!my baby girl is at uri i do pass your place from time to time..if you dont mind i will call you soon.(im in fla right now)Salty.

saltcaveminer

like chopper says 38mm mikuni works great once dialed in.Salty 

amf 71flh

salty, call me when you get back from Florida 860-941-4799

don't be in any hurry to get back, it's 9 degrees here today!!!!!!!!!!!

:soda:

RayRay12

That's a Great story Man!! Don't let her go again now that she found her way Home!!
Quote from: amf 71flh on January 16, 2013, 06:57:14 PM
I have to share this with folks who will understand....

In May of 1976, right after I was discharged from the Marines, I bought this brand new 1976 XLCH from Pancieras Harley-Davidson, which is now out of business. I rode the piss out of it and  had more "potty mouth! " on the back seat than I can even remember.

In 1985 I sold it to a local motorcycle shop and that was the last I ever saw it again; until last October... I was looking through Craigs List and I came upon a 1976 XLCH for sale in Johnston, R.I. which is about 50 miles from me. I knew this could not be my bike, I mean, how could it after all these years??

I still had my old paper work with the VIN so off I went. IT WAS MY OLD BIKE!!!!!!!

So I bought it and here she is in the last stages of restoration, and yes, she was Orange when I bought her.

She will never leave my side again!!!!!!!!!!
Run your fingers over my bike, I run my Bike over you!

amf 71flh

she's almost done, now if only it stopped snowing.......

:chop:

Winston Wolf

Nice job. Stock is cock. Did it come stock with the steel wheels?  Is that a 4" wide 18" Avon tire on the back?

amf 71flh

All XLCH kick starts had the steel wheels, pussy button XLH bikes had the alloys.

Good eye, yes that's an 18" Avon.....

desertrat

Winston Wolf

Did yours come with the license plate alarm like my 74?

amf 71flh

no sir, I think only 74 Sportsters came stock with them....

amf 71flh

here she is 37 years ago....

Mountainman streetbob

Brice H Dyal  The "Mountainmman"
US Army 89-01 35H/12B US Army AMC

amf 71flh

and here she is now!!!!!  rode it yesterday, I love Ironheads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saltcaveminer

what can be said except for thanks to ron for this great project.the bike is beautiful. thank you for sharing it with all.ironhead sportsters have a special meaning to us that most other riders and certainly the general public can't comprehend.for us older riders it reminds us of our youth and the impact harley had on that generation.for the new riders all i can say is welcome to a great machine and please keep the tradition alive.Salty
PS:ron narragansett beach will come alive (with memories)the first blast thru.smile,laugh,shout,enjoy,you earned it!

ricochet

That is a nice looking ironhead.  You got that right Salty about them holding a special place in the hearts of those who have owned one especially in their youth.  For me it was 73 and I had graduated from a 125 Rapido to a 650 Triumph Tiger to the 73 XLH in about 1 years time.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven taking it home on Feb 5th in 20 degree weather.  Highschool would never be the same that summer.  And that's why they call me ricochet.  Bing... bing... bing.....

ricochet

tilly

You must be one happy guy ! Great story , it must have been meant to be !!!!!
:teeth:

Sonny S.

Quote from: amf 71flh on February 24, 2013, 04:40:26 AM
and here she is now!!!!!  rode it yesterday, I love Ironheads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:up:  very cool !!

Hilly13

Just because its said don't make it so

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

harley1450000

did it feel like you were back in time on that cool looking bike?nice job keeping it all stock,very nice job on the resto.

amf 71flh

thank you my brothers, only you would understand..... :hug:

harley1450000

your welcome sir,thanks for sharing your story