May 09, 2024, 02:30:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

progressive rear shocks for FLH

Started by 76shuvlinoff, December 07, 2012, 03:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: chopper on December 13, 2012, 07:59:52 AM
It will though.  You'll be surprised.

Cmon...  a quick up and down the road.  Ya know ya wanna.    :bike:

Yeah now that I think about it the shock is what, 5-6 inches in front of the axle? Any increase will be magnified at the axle.

Before there's a ride I will have to get that 60 wt out and some 20-50 in or let the bike sit in front of my salamander for a bit. Been cold at night and the barn stays cold most of the day.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

76shuvlinoff

bump

I got around to installing the 12.5" FX shocks today. I used the top of my license plate for a reference point and a highly calibrated  :wink: tape measure. The new shocks raised it maybe an 1/8th". The new shocks are adjusted as light as they'll go where my 12s were dialed up pretty tight. I got up on it and gave it a few bounces, didn't feel too soft. We shall see once I have bags and bride installed.

The rubber bushings in the the old 12s were wrecked and one of the shocks looks pretty bent.

- Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Sixspeed

"The HAPPIEST people just make the Best of Everything"

easyricer

I'm liking my new Progressives. Ride is smooth (bags, fairing, tourbox, and my 175lbs)
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

HotRodShovel

Hey Mark,
I know I'm late jumping back in here but I replaced my old aftermarket rear shocks with the full covered Progressives and man, its like going from a volkswagen to a Rolls Royce.  I have some major back problems and prior to going in for my first go round with surgery I swapped out my rigid for a swingarm FLH frame. 
After 10 years riding a rigid in NYC (probably what killed my back) going onto a swingarm was a beautiful thing. But the going to Progressives was more than I expected.
I put Progressive springs in my front end also the next year. When it runs  :emoGroan:  its smooth.....

Go for it.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

76shuvlinoff

Rudy,

Someone wanted a bike lowered before it left the dealer right here in Michigan and I ended up with a pair of zero mile 12 1/2" Dyna take-offs. I saw them listed for $100, I made an offer of $80 and got em. I wish they were covered but for $80 I won't complain too much.

I don't know if these shocks are rated different than ones for an FLH but it feels pretty solid when I bounce on the passenger pegs. Now I am probably waiting till spring for a test ride.

- Mark
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

I think they are rated different. Not 100% on that though. I get a very smooth ride, now in NYC thats a pretty good test. Here in S.Fl I've yet to find a pothole in three years.
John

76shuvlinoff

QuoteHere in S.Fl I've yet to find a pothole in three years.

I'll box up some Michigan potholes and ship em right down express mail just so you can get a taste of home..   :wink:
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

Much obliged.....chances are good I'll be returning to the NE. Not NYC, more rural like Eastern PA.  I'm a damn Yankee.  Need a blast of cold air once in a while.
John