May 09, 2024, 04:52:26 AM

News:

coil and points and kickstart question

Started by jerite, January 14, 2013, 05:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerite

hey all- well got shovel chop done. kicked her over today. kinda hard kickin. got her to start couple times. anyway i am using a stock 82' 1340 shovel from and electric start only fxr. now its kick only(yes why i ask myself that too). i just used the same coil,points and s&s super e in my build cuz im cheap. anyway, any recomendations for what i should change to help make kick easier...short of adding electric start......lol........thanx in adavnce.........jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

easyricer

As long as you got the clearance, that longer kicker should help. Stock motor 1340 with points? Aught to start pretty easy. I have figured out that kicking really hard, is usually a waste of energy. As long as you get a full stroke all they way to the stop, she should fire. (don't lock your knee)
Even with the higher compression on Betsie, she fires really easy with out me having to stomp the kicker into the ground. I just push it through swiftly to the stop.
Usually with an S&S carb, just give it a few twist of the throttle, then kick her through. (sometimes easier to kick through once or twice, then turn the key on). The enrichener just makes for hard starting on most I've messed with.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

jerite

so same points and coil that were on electric start should be fine ya think?.jer

easyricer

jerite

ooops..... :embarrassed:....my bad opened it up and its a dyna S ignition......thoughts?...............Jer

easyricer

LOL Still good, don't matter what coil ya got.
EASY

jerite

so should i go to points or leave the dyna s? Jer

saddle tramp

some electronic ign. have a switch for kick or electric start, look at your ign. and see if you find one.
Also on some the ohm rating on the coil is different from electric to kick.

easyricer

I like points (personal preference) but the Dyna S is good. Had one before on a Sporty. Good tough ignition. The Dyna S don't care what coil you have on it. It's just a trigger assembly to replace points. So no gapping points or replacing condensers.
EASY

jerite

so leave it and just nurture the love affair it takes to kick start her i guess hugh?........what plugs you reccommend....got champions in there now......tia......jer

easyricer

Champions are good. I'm using AC Delco +4's in mine.
EASY

Winston Wolf

I've had a lot better luck (easier) kick starting with points on my shovel. 

DA71FX

I ran a Dyna S for 11 years with no issues and easy starting in my kick only 93 inch shovel. Just make sure everything is right; carb, timing, plug gap and technique. All become much more critical when kicking.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH