Rumors of some popular models being discontinued for 2014

Started by Garry in AZ, February 27, 2013, 02:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayfeldt

Yeah, but what if the BMW breaks down in the middle of nowhere? Not having a large enough dealer network prevents me from getting to serious about BMW or Victory.
Later,
Ray

Jeffd

Quote from: rayfeldt on March 06, 2013, 09:57:01 PM
Yeah, but what if the BMW breaks down in the middle of nowhere? Not having a large enough dealer network prevents me from getting to serious about BMW or Victory.
Later,
Ray

I put over 100,000 miles on beemers from 99-2003 and never had a single break down.  Not to say I did have little things happen but nothing that kept me from being on the road.  I have had the same luck with harley too, never been left stranded in 200,000 miles.  Prior to getting the harley bug in 2004 I bled bmw blue and not sure why but I have been staring at those freaking ugly R1200GS's lately, hopefully it will pass.   :crash:

rayfeldt

No argument from me. They are great bikes. Still, they all break down. My Rg breaks down and I have six dealers within an hour or hour and a half. For BMW, the closest is over two hours away.
Later,
Ray

hd06myway

Quote from: chopper on March 06, 2013, 11:24:26 AM
I thought were talking about engines, not styles of bike.  Guess I wouldn't have thought a RK, EG, etc  as "cruisers".  Only point I was making is there are a lot of viable V twin configs out there that easily meet/ exceed EPA standards...

(now that I found out what a powerhouse my TC is, I'm gonna go pull a plug wire off afore I hurt myself)

Good one!  :hyst:  :wink:

hd06myway

March 07, 2013, 05:11:13 AM #104 Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:19:25 AM by hd06myway
Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on March 06, 2013, 01:24:40 PM
Quote from: hd06myway on March 06, 2013, 05:37:05 AM
Quote from: chopper on March 05, 2013, 07:23:13 PM
I posted the numbers  as I found them. The Duc is classified as a "power cruiser" rated at 162 HP and 98 ft lb.  and yer gonna quibble over TWO lbs, when hp is at 162?

Mt 02 TC is stock except for re jetting, muffler mods.  How close to 100/100 is it?

Have you seen the Duc?  I don't care what they "call it", it's not a cruiser, it's a sport bike, with sport bike numbers, why don't you go out and buy a Yamaha R6 (600cc), you can get one fairly cheap, used $3k-$4k... apples to apples Chopper, not apples to oranges... with a handle of "Chopper", I wouldn't think big time speed was that important to ya..  :crook:

I have been resisting this debate as I could have commented previously.  Ducati offers Adv. touring and standard bikes as well as sport bikes.  The Ducati Diavel which falls into the cruiser category is not a sport bike,  the wheelbase,  ground clearance,  fat rear tire,  rider ergonomics/riding position,  style (no fairing) are all clearly cruiser.  I have seen/sat on them but not ridden one.  I have by chance been places and ended up in conversations with 2 people that own one.  Both said the same thing,  deceptively fast, handles surprisingly well and is easy to launch real hard.  A Diablo will handily outrun a V-rod. 

Harley continues to sit on their azz and sell tradition and higher tech versions/updates of the same.  It's common knowledge that their bikes are slow and offer marginal handling...great synergy there.  A comparison of Harley to Ducati is quite a contrast,  the one thing they have in common is a tradition of building twin cylinder bikes. 

Harley hasn't won a roadrace since the 70's and their best effort with the VR1000 combined with excellent riders (Duhumel, Russel, Picotte & Carr) was laughable.  Ducati on the other hand is known for bikes that perform well for their displacement and offer handling/braking that is comparable with the best available.  Ducati has won many roadracing championships and continues to find ways to win races and championships by updating/improving their twin.  Last month their newest bike set fast time at the first WSB race this year.  For a small company they seem to be capable and competitive with a twin against other brands with 4 cylinders bikes.  Harley tried with the VR1000 and ended up pulling the plug and leaving with their tails tucked. 

When it comes to performance (engine and chassis) Ducati is the little company that can and Harley is the big company that can't understand.

Why are you comparing Ducati to Harleys...? apples to esparigus... 99% of the people who love Harleys have no interest in Ducatis and vice versa... two completely different animals despite the use of similar terms like "v-twin" and cruiser"... come on Duece, you don't really believe Harley cares about GP racing do you... your right the VR1000 was an attempt, but it's like BMW or even Ducati since your on the subject, saying they're going to make a model to challenge the Fat Boy...  :nix:

And as far as handling and suspension, your opinion isn't shared by the professional riders who review "American Style Cruisers"  aka, Harleys, Victory's... Yamaha Star series.. Honda VTX's... etc... for publications like Cycle World, Motorcyclist... all have lauded over Harley's balance, ride and handling characteristics, mostly beating out their competitors... I'm not talking strictly Harley mags, referencing motorcycle magazines... what Harley has is a lot of what people/companies want... if you don't know what that is, we can't help you, we can't explain it to ya, 'cause you wouldn't understand, another old and tried and true Harley-ism that like their bikes... just seems to fit like a glove...  :koolaid:

One4Tone

..the fatman model is coming and if yer OL  weighs in excess 350 pounds ye get the high heeled spikes to go go out in the dessert and drill for oil...and them HoosierDaddy tires will get you home every time

Dennis The Menace

Okay, this one has gone completely sideways and off topic.  Time to discuss something else.