May 08, 2024, 08:24:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1986-90 rotor clutchbasket

Started by Hooda, April 05, 2013, 04:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooda

Been waiting for v twin rotor clutch basket part #18-8324 to come in stock . They did, I got mine and it's junk. The clutch plates don't fit in the shell. When we called v twin we were told we weren't the only ones, whole load from overseas same way. Sent it back going with stock one. I guess that's what happens when Harley parts aren't made in America, if you are thinking of purchasing one don't.

andyxlh

sorry to hear that, good information tho'. What was wrong with it? I've had to file some aftermarket clutch friction plates to get them in an OEM shell until they are worn in (the 'fingers' on the basket tend to wear after a while, an in the worst cases get 'stepped' which caused me some slipping issues as they were binding on the steps in the alloy fingers)
cheers
A
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Hooda

The fingers on the clutch shell were to narrow. I tried filing the tabs on the plates so they would fit but it would of been way to much. V twin must of pulled all of them because they now say that item is back ordered. I have a new clutch shaft a new clutch hub and a new bearing in the trap door so I shouldn't have any more wobble. The stock one will last a good long time.

andyxlh

Yes I'd say you should be all right with that setup.
cheers
A
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble