May 09, 2024, 08:36:06 AM

News:

So much for a confidence booster.

Started by Rags722, April 23, 2013, 09:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rags722

Quote from: Jeffd on April 24, 2013, 08:50:43 AM
well I tried but your inbox is full.

Jeff, give it another try.. Just noticed my paid status must have changed recently and sent me over the top on the number of messages I can store.

q1svt

April 24, 2013, 09:39:31 AM #26 Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:54:56 AM by q1svt
It's funny how companies can lose sight of what good customer service means.  It's very possible that the difference in color will make no difference at all to the performance of the shock.  Could be the exact same rubber compound but simply a difference in the color.  BUT... the customer doesn't always look at things while wearing an engineers hat.

Progressive Suspension should take a lesson from Intel's snafu and change the way they address these types of situations.
:agree:
If it does happen all of the time... they can simply match-up the red to red, and yellow to yellow while stuffing the boxes.  Instead they leave it to a customers perception. 

edited: perception is a funny thing even though there is no material difference...

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

garyajaz

craig.  that example of yours would kinda be like pi.
if taken to end, well there is no end.  just a string of numbers.  most are happy with the first 5 didgets.

oh, i have here for years a book with your name on it.
p.m. me next time you on way to tort flat or out this way.  will give it to you.
i dont do anything with the old bikes anymore cept my sporty and dont need this book for that bike.
:koolaid1:

Rags722

Guys, just wanted to fill you in on the current status.  I was sent a message from Frank, sales manager at Progressive. He LISTENED to my problem, assured me the bumpers are indeed the same material and why they were being dyed ( cosmetic issue with the white ones over time ).  Since I never run with the bags off, and don't care if my Indy notices and says anything during tire changes, I'm satisfied with the product that is bolted up on the bike. Frank has sent me a message indicating if they still bother me at the end of this riding season, I can send both shocks back on Progressives dime and they will be rebuilt with the darker bumper.  After setting sag and pushing the bumpers down into the pocket, assuming his statement is correct that the material is the same, I doubt there will be any need for that.  Hey, he's even tossing in a couple of "promotional products" for my troubles.  All in all, sounds like someone on the assembly line was having a bad day.  Not saying it's right, but I don't need to nail Franks balls to the barn for the problem.  It was not mixed stock, just a worker who didn't care enough about his job to do it right.  No way to tell if the problem happened at build time or packaging time. 

koko3052

Glad you got it all corrected. You'll sleep/rider better knowing that you took it to the end! :chop:

FSG

Rags,   :up:

I received this from PS 2 hours ago,  "didn't receive an email but did speak with Bill regarding the bump stops, he should be taken care of. If you would like to discuss < ..... > give us a ring toll free at 1.877.690.7411 Thanks!"

Rags722

FSG, think you may have frightened him.  He mentioned "one of my people" from out of the country had already been in contact with him.  Thanks for the added pressure.  I told him I would remove my less than complimentary post from his site and update this one as to his help.  In truth, he could have removed mine on his site without my offer, but even offered to leave it there if I felt it accurately described the company.  I don't have any need to burn bridges that don't need burning and am satisfied I didn't wind up with one wrong bumper in my shock.  Fact is, the 444 bumpers will probably all be black in the near future if they can find a supplier that can produce them at a good price point.

FSG

I spoke with Frank earlier discussing < ..... > all is good.

The power of Social Media  as per Craigs Post.

jclark311

I think your spending a lot of money instead of manning up, and getting back on the horse,after it threw you. Look accidents happen, don't drink and drive, keep your head on a swivel. Find some back roads and go slow until you feel confident. You will be ok. I get on the dirt bike once in a while, and take a rip in the sandpit. Amazing how easy that Harley is to ride after that.

Rags722

Quote from: jclark311 on April 24, 2013, 09:29:50 PM
I think your spending a lot of money instead of manning up, and getting back on the horse,after it threw you. Look accidents happen, don't drink and drive, keep your head on a swivel. Find some back roads and go slow until you feel confident. You will be ok. I get on the dirt bike once in a while, and take a rip in the sandpit. Amazing how easy that Harley is to ride after that.

Well, we all have our own opinions, and I may indeed be spending money I don't need to, but I look at it like this:
I've been dissatisfied with the factory air shocks ( rear) since the bike was new.  444's may be a much better shock than I NEED, but they are what I want.
Front end is ready for a service anyway, and since the 05 has a cartridge on one side it all has to come apart. If I'm going that deep, may as well toss in the Progressive Gas shock on both sides and get rid of the dive and remove all requirements for changing fork oil
Tires.. real no brainer.  The rear has a plug in it and the front won't make it through the season anyway. Two new Avon's may be just the ticket, or at least may be fun to break in.

I quit smoking, I only drink socially, and haven't been able to get my confidence back in turns.  So, if I toss some of the money I'm saving by being an old fart at the bike, I don't really care.  I don't care if Max wants to spend $1,000 chasing 3 HP, I don't care if Preach eats raccoon by the side of the road, don't care if Truck puts wider mirrors on the NEW Truck and needs to go for an even wider garage door.  I can afford it and if it helps me even a little it was worth every penny.  I have gotten back on the horse, but not with the same level of fun, and I don't like that at all.  Hell, if I do all of this and still don't feel right, I can always start playing with handlebars.

texaskatfish

Rags ^5 on that vendor reachin out to make this right

As for 'gettin back on the horse' you aint alone - just stay in your current comfort zone and I bet that will expand as ya rack up some miles...

After my headon I couldn't WAIT to get back in the wind - what I found myself most fearful of: "will I flinch or make a panic type stupid move and wind up hurting other riders close to me?"

I purposefully spent about a month strictly riding alone and 'crowding the stripe' and trying to put myself in potential panic scenarios and was glad to find I could not force myself to 'flinch' or make a stupid maneuver.............at that point I resumed riding with my buds and have not had any issues since (other than more cager / assassins tryin to kill me as per usual)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

04 SE Deuce

$'s spent on suspension returns benefits any time the bike is in motion.  I encourage people to invest in quality when it comes to suspension components. 

Rags hope your able to work/focus on nudging up the confidence/speed to where your back having fun again.   Rick

jclark311

I'm all for you buying quality parts for your Harley, and if it makes you feel good, so be it. But you need time in the saddle to get over that crash. You can't let fear keep you from freedom. That's why I bring up the dirt bike. There are basic skills that you learn that will help you transition back to the Harley. If you have a pit with soft sand, you won't get hurt if you fall. Don't get  a 250 2 stroke, get a cheap 4 stroke enduro. Riding is riding, it's exiting and fun. When your on the Harley, ride with one buddy, stay away from sand, take the same route, preferably one with curves, and hills. Take your time, it will come back. Good luck an, this is something you can do, and you will be proud when you do.

jclark311

Oh, and ride a dyna, or a sportster, they are easy to ride, and handle way better than your full dresser.

Deye76

"Now they say it is normal and happens all the time. "

That's what the delaer says all the time.  :angry: Guess they hope it'll work for them to.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Admiral Akbar

QuoteI don't care if Max wants to spend $1,000 chasing 3 HP,

I haven't been looking for HP since the WT26 fiasco.

Max

truck

Rags and others, could it be a medication you're taking that makes you apprehensive about riding? It happened to me, blood pressure med. made me get all nervous while climbing a ladder, changed med. and fear left.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

ThumperDeuce

I had a bicycle accident which resulted in a fractured collarbone.  The first few times I rode again were terrifying, well maybe not terrifying but I didn't like the way it made me feel.  Eventually my brain just forgot the fear and everything went back to normal.  Have you tried to research PTSD?  How about taking a refresher type riding course to help get your confidence back?
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Dennis The Menace

Rags, those Avons are a little slick until you get em scrubbed in good.  Find a vacant parking lot and spend some time doing turns and get back into the groove and break the tires in.  I was surprised at how slick the Avons were when I left the shop with new ones.  The only time I could spin the rear with my (then) stock TC96 on my 07 RG.  On dry pavement. The indie told me to take it easy, he was right.

Rags722

Stop Dennis. NO. Where's the icon for fingers in my ears? NAHNAHNAHNAHNAHNAH I can't hear you.  I'm trying to build my confidence, not tear it down.

But, I do know what you mean about new tires being slick, and I will be a little extra careful the first couple of rides.