117 @ 11.5 timing using Knock Sensor

Started by laserp, April 24, 2013, 03:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laserp

April 24, 2013, 03:52:25 AM Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:05:57 AM by laserp
I'm in the process of tuning my bike with a twin scan II+ and MyTune software w/SERT -MT6. I'm at 11.5 comp and have the 662-2 cam (210 CCP). I'm getting knock retard events in the typical areas (2250-3000 RPMs @60 plus MAP). So I follow the software and pull timing. Haven't got to the point yet where I get no events.

Just wondering if the experience out there is these are real events, or are they false positives, do to the high comp. This is what I've heard in the past, you can't rely on the ion sensor for big builds.

So, if that is true, disable and listen by ear is the only way to tune timing? Add fuel, and pull timing?

Also, when do you say, enough is enough and just avoid this area of heavy MAP at this comp.?

Thank you for your help in advance (no pun intended :teeth:)
Laser
02 117 Softail/10 Ulta Limited

Geezer_Glider

Might have to add a little fuel, what was your starting MT6 file? If you look at the SE or DTT ignition advance maps they're a good place to start but a bit of effort to convert to load into TTS.
Just some thoughts,
R Meyer

laserp

Hey Geez,

Thanks for the response. I started with a custom map from a tuner. It's a map that has evolved through many changes.
Been adding fuel, been retarding timing. Need to get it to a good tuner down the road, just trying to get it 80% there, without causing any issues. Keeping it rich.

I'm pretty much convinced it's going to be an area to stay away from when riding...hard throttle in the low 2000's range. No big deal, as this is what I expected going this high in comp. This is my bar hopper anyway, the hobby bike.

Was hoping to learn something from the forum regarding the knock sensing experiences with similar builds.

Thanks again,
Laser

mike 120

I was at the same place a couple of years ago, after much aggravation, turned off knock sensor and kept an ear on ping and learned what to look for on plugs.I'm around same ccp with T-Man 650,so far so good.IMO knock sensor sensitivity is set up for around stock ccp, once you get up there.....

laserp

Quote from: mike 120 on April 24, 2013, 10:59:11 AM
I was at the same place a couple of years ago, after much aggravation, turned off knock sensor and kept an ear on ping and learned what to look for on plugs.I'm around same ccp with T-Man 650,so far so good.IMO knock sensor sensitivity is set up for around stock ccp, once you get up there.....

Hi Mike,
I'm still settling in on the right base map for spark, A/F's are in good shape. I went to the FUF205-03 in the TTS cals for the latest one I'm using. This is their higher performance 113 map. I'd like to find the SESPT map for the 120r, but do not have that software, nor does TTS have a map for it, yet..