TTS - Backing up the original ECM calibration

Started by PoorUB, April 21, 2013, 09:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffd

Quote from: mayor on April 24, 2013, 03:31:55 PM
I didn't request the update, and I didn't think trusting the software/hardware was required.   :nix:  besides, there was a thread a while back about a fellow who thought that everything was saved for him only to find that his dealer had to send the ecm off to Compton to have the ecm reprogrammed.  Maybe I'm confused, but isn't TTS offering online mte storage as well?  I guess that's unneeded redundancy as well....

yes that was my buddy's bike.  I just feel better having it saved in a couple different places.

mayor

Yea, I knew that was your friend Ace's bike.  That thread had me contemplating not using TTS on my new bike, but I decided to endeavor to persevere with TTS.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

hrdtail78

I didn't request the update, and I didn't think trusting the software/hardware was required.   :nix:  besides, there was a thread a while back about a fellow who thought that everything was saved for him only to find that his dealer had to send the ecm off to Compton to have the ecm reprogrammed.  Maybe I'm confused, but isn't TTS offering online mte storage as well?  I guess that's unneeded redundancy as well....

There's a lot of threads on the internet about topics that are based on falsehood.  Until this update TTS never said it would save the original cal in the VCI until this update.  Your not believing everything you read on the internet are you?  i'm a french model.

Steve can unlock over the net an ECM's that is locked with TTS.  It is basicly a blank ECM that needs a TTS cal loaded back into it to work, or a download from dealer.  Hope you guys are keeping track of your custom cal as closely as that MTE file.  Depending on the build.  A download from the dealer wont be close.

Hopefully this one stays.  I didn't mention DL. :idunno:
Semper Fi

FSG

QuoteI just feel better having it saved in a couple different places.

That's just common sense.

Most/Smart Businesses have off-site backup storage (I do also) to ensure they have a backup regardless of what happens at the business site.  Example, there's not much point having a backup burn when the facility burns down, yes Fire Safes are available but they are hourley rated and data is not necessarily guranteed.

And you can bet TTS will have off-site backup storage.

mayor

Quote from: hrdtail78 on April 24, 2013, 03:54:26 PMYour not believing everything you read on the internet are you?  i'm a french model.
can't put it on the internet if it isn't true right?

Quote from: hrdtail78
Hope you guys are keeping track of your custom cal as closely as that MTE file.  Depending on the build.  A download from the dealer wont be close.
i have just as many copies of my tuning files as I do the MTE. You suggesting that I may be a little OCD?  :embarrassed:

Jeffd

Quote from: hrdtail78 on April 24, 2013, 03:54:26 PM

There's a lot of threads on the internet about topics that are based on falsehood.  Until this update TTS never said it would save the original cal in the VCI until this update.  Your not believing everything you read on the internet are you?  i'm a french model.

Steve can unlock over the net an ECM's that is locked with TTS.  It is basicly a blank ECM that needs a TTS cal loaded back into it to work, or a download from dealer.  Hope you guys are keeping track of your custom cal as closely as that MTE file.  Depending on the build.  A download from the dealer wont be close.

Hopefully this one stays.  I didn't mention DL. :idunno:

I have harped about this several times.  I like steve and respect him a lot.  He has always been helpful to me when I was able to reach him via phone and did answer 1/2 of my emails.  My biggest worry is that he is a one man show and if he gets sick or disabled then we are pretty much out of luck.  I think it would be a good business move to have others that he trusts ie guys like you, doc and bob and others I am sure with that intimate kowledge of the inner workings just in case something unforseen happens, non of us are immortal.

FLTRI

Guess I never considered a tune file in the same light as my business accounting files...or house deed...so I guess I don't have OCD! :up:
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

PoorUB

Quote from: mayor on April 24, 2013, 11:13:55 AM
I saved mine directly to my hard drive in a place where I new how to find it.  It may be in the dongle and already saved on my computer somewhere....but I'm not taking any chances....heck, I already have it saved on three of my frequently used computers and two frequently used thumb drives.   :unsure:

The best way I have found to save a computer file is to e-mail to myself. It just hangs around out there in cyber space untill I need it. I will also burn it to a CD and or USB drive, but nobody knows for sure how long CD or USB technology will be around so the e-mail may be the best idea. I have some files saved to floppy drives, but no way to extract the data any more. I could probably just toss them at this point as I probably don't need the info any longer if I have not needed it by now.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

mayor

I use five different computers frequently, and at least two on any given day...file saving redundency just comes natural.  I also have external hard drives on two of my computers, just in case...and I also use dropbox to connect important folders between my computers.   :embarrassed:  I also have about a dozen jump drives....just seem to collect those for some reason.   :crook:

rbabos

I'm not quite as paranoid as some. Saved in the PV, both lap and desktop plus burned to disc. All can't fail at the same time right? :hyst:
Ron

Tsani

I'm not worried at all.
Bike is not stock and never will be.
Dealer ain't touching it either.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

hrdtail78

Dell PowerEdge 2600 w/ eight hard drives and dual power sources on a wired network  w/ HP Pavilion Elite e9180t with dual hard drives. These work nicely together.  They get backed up to Carbonite online backup once a week. I do upload the customers MTE and custom cals to TTS's web site and email to customer.  I'm not paranoid.  I just take the proper steps to take care of things. I believe this is all customers property and responsibility. You pay me to make you a custom cal.  I make sure I retain copies of these for my own usage, but do have them if they need them.

There is more going on at TTS than just Steve Cole. TTS have several people that know what's going on. If something does happen to Steve. The product will still be supported. 

I'll say one more thing and this thread is beat to death.  You don't need the original cal in MTE form from HD.  You need a cal in MTE form from your ECM.  Meaning that if you do loose your original MTE.  You can make another MTE file. If you upload the cal that is in your ECM. It will be an MTE.  So, TTS can work with that over email to get your bike unlocked so HD can use DT on it.   TTS and other flash tuner companies direct you to save the original cal so you have a known good starting point if/ when something goes wrong.

HFT
Semper Fi

Jeffd

Quote from: hrdtail78 on April 25, 2013, 06:32:32 AM

There is more going on at TTS than just Steve Cole. TTS have several people that know what's going on. If something does happen to Steve. The product will still be supported. 

HFT

Thanks, this is the first time anyone has addressed this for me. 

ToBeFrank

Quote from: hrdtail78 on April 25, 2013, 06:32:32 AMYou don't need the original cal in MTE form from HD.

You do if you want to unlock it yourself. In any other scenario, you'll be contacting TTS and working with them to unlock it. This isn't a knock on TTS, just pointing it out in case anyone misunderstands

hrdtail78

Quote from: ToBeFrank on April 26, 2013, 10:18:35 AM
Quote from: hrdtail78 on April 25, 2013, 06:32:32 AMYou don't need the original cal in MTE form from HD.

You do if you want to unlock it yourself. In any other scenario, you'll be contacting TTS and working with them to unlock it. This isn't a knock on TTS, just pointing it out in case anyone misunderstands

Correct.  I was talking if you do need to unlock it and you don't have the original MTE.  A MTE that was pulled out of the bike, any cal, can be emailed to TTS.  They will rework that MTE and email it back. When you put this cal in. It will be unlocked so HD can get into the cal portion of the ECM.  Or you can now use a different tuner.

A lot of different scenarios can be played out. If you made a cal with 157 and pulled that MTE. You don't need TTS either. I try and use the real world scenarios that I might actually run across with either myself or customers. If we play the "if" game long enough. We are all screwed.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Semper Fi