can narrow bands be used for to tune to 13.2 @ WOT

Started by FLTRI, May 27, 2013, 12:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLTRI

Quote from: ToBeFrank on June 17, 2013, 11:29:10 AM
Then repeat with many different O2 sensors, then again with many different O2 sensors of varying ages.
:up: :up: Great test for narrow bands AND broadbands as well, right?
Nothing like actual testing and measurement rather than preconceived notions based on spec sheets and opinions.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

ToBeFrank

Quote from: FLTRI on June 17, 2013, 11:33:18 AM
Then repeat with many different O2 sensors, then again with many different O2 sensors of varying ages.
Nothing like actual testing and measurement rather than preconceived notions based on spec sheets and opinions.
Bob

No. The widebands are being used within their spec'ed range.

Jamie Long

Bob

From the actual manufacturer of the sensor

From an earlier post:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/oxygensensors/pages/premiumoxygensensors.aspx

Standard narrow band type Oxygen Sensors operate between 0 and 1 volts, and are only capable of accurately measuring a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (e.g. 14.7:1). A richer or leaner condition results in an abrupt voltage change and is only useful for qualitative determination.

If qualitative determination is the best you have to work with great, however fortunately there are other more accurate options for tuning

mayor

unless I misunderstood the affects of EGT on the readings, that would need to be tested as well.  It would be interesting to see what removing 3-4 degree's of advance and restabilizing the AFR to 13.2 does to the voltage numbers. Not sure I'll test this, since it's my tire we're wearing out....plus, I have broadbands to use anyway  :teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

FLTRI

Quote from: ToBeFrank on June 17, 2013, 11:35:07 AM
Bob

No. The widebands are being used within their spec'ed range.
But don't broadbands degrade over time within their spec'ed range as well? Why do free air calibrations on the broadbands we use to tune?
What's the purpose for us having for example, 13.2 calibration gas to check against the broadbands?

I would bet if you were to take an NBO2 and record voltage at say 13.2AFR you could then use that voltage to tune to a 13.2 +/- .5 AFR.

If that is true then the DIYers here and elsewhere can use their TTS, SEPST, DL, etc to get a good, close, AND safe WOT AFR.

Again, this whole thread is dedicated to pro dyno tuners offering their O2 data logging results to see if DIYers can use their existing tools (NBO2 sensors and data logs) to get a great running bike...even @ WOT. :chop:

Bob

mayor

Quote from: FLTRI on June 17, 2013, 12:18:48 PM
Again, this whole thread is dedicated to pro dyno tuners offering their O2 data logging results to see if DIYers can use their existing tools (NBO2 sensors and data logs) to get a great running bike...even @ WOT. :chop:

Bob
to me that's where my last post has merrit.  I don't think the average DIY tuner is comfortable enough with timing to play with the advance much, and this may make the EGT hotter than what a dyno tuned bike would be (if advance was adjusted on the dyno). 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

FLTRI

June 17, 2013, 12:31:23 PM #256 Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:28:11 PM by FLTRI
Quote from: mayor on June 17, 2013, 12:11:33 PM
...unless I misunderstood the affects of EGT on the readings, that would need to be tested as well.  It would be interesting to see what removing 3-4 degree's of advance and restabilizing the AFR to 13.2 does to the voltage numbers. Not sure I'll test this, since it's my tire we're wearing out....plus, I have broadbands to use anyway  :teeth:
I believe if you keep comparing the O2 voltages to your measured AFR you, and others, will come to the same conclusion I have.

Ignore offsets as they are not necessary for the test...just sensor voltage at WOT and if or how it directly relates to actual, measured AFR.

Note: Unless you have 1:1 throttle ratio setup you will have to extrapolate WOT VE cell location below 3000 rpms to effectively correct the VE calibration cells.

Bob

ToBeFrank

Quote from: FLTRI on June 17, 2013, 12:18:48 PMAgain, this whole thread is dedicated to pro dyno tuners offering their O2 data logging results to see if DIYers can use their existing tools (NBO2 sensors and data logs) to get a great running bike...even @ WOT. :chop:

Then why oh why do we have to have page after page of conjecture? YOU have the tools to do what you're asking. YOU tune enough bikes to gather a larger set of data. Get a voltage reading with a new sensor at 13.2. Use that voltage, and only that voltage, to do WOT on the next 100 closed loop bikes you get on your dyno. Get it done and show us the data.

FLTRI

Quote from: ToBeFrank on June 17, 2013, 03:22:46 PM
Quote from: FLTRI on June 17, 2013, 12:18:48 PMAgain, this whole thread is dedicated to pro dyno tuners offering their O2 data logging results to see if DIYers can use their existing tools (NBO2 sensors and data logs) to get a great running bike...even @ WOT. :chop:

Then why oh why do we have to have page after page of conjecture? YOU have the tools to do what you're asking. YOU tune enough bikes to gather a larger set of data. Get a voltage reading with a new sensor at 13.2. Use that voltage, and only that voltage, to do WOT on the next 100 closed loop bikes you get on your dyno. Get it done and show us the data.
Geez tbf I was just about to ask you to do the same. You do have plenty of data recordings showing O2 data vs AFR, right?
Bob

ToBeFrank

June 17, 2013, 05:55:58 PM #259 Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:03:01 PM by ToBeFrank

autoworker

Been reading this thread over and over.

Your comments are appreciated To Be Frank.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

FLTRI

261 posts and the OP question still remains unanswered but a ton of  :argue:
I still have faith independent test results will emerge that will answer the question.
Bob