May 09, 2024, 12:40:16 AM

News:

Screamin' Eagle heads...........

Started by shovelbill, July 01, 2013, 09:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelbill

i know we have head porters and flo bench masters available in our industry willing to do great work for fair prices.................but

...........what's the popular consensus amongst you gearheads as to the "performance" gain of just bolting on a set of Screamin Eagles, right out of the box.

here's the scenario........my lifters are getting a bit "old"......they have over 40K pretty hard miles on 'em.... with an EV27 in an FLHTP. mostly a NYC bike with a bunch of long trips. i'm probably gonna do a valve train.......and I have a new W6H sittin' on my bench.......I also have 10:1 SE cast slugs (that won't work with SE heads).........i'm pondering right now. I have SE roller rockers(Jims), SE lifters and pushrods too.

providing the compression test is good and the bottom end is fine, I can go two ways.......SE head and stock slugs and jugs for 9.5:1..........OR............my '95 heads with a new valve job (68K on them now) and light port work and the cast + .010" SE 10:1 slugs with a bore and hone.

anyone ever built a motor with these heads? anyone ever flow them and have flow data?

comments?

I am going to get my shovel running after I mend up..........then this job.

build it, bust it.....figure out why

CW#

One of the better speed shops in the Southeast (proven with drag strip chits) told me... "The best bang for your buck is to slightly tweak the flow on a set of SE Heads". They think you can get more from a set of CNC heads but for the money they think SE heads are pretty darned good.

I haven't taken that plunge just yet, but this guy has the rep to back it up. He and I do agree that heads should come before jugs... when you're talking horsepower per dollar... with the right cam of course. He also said that a different TB will make the heads work better but that's big dollars per h.p. for what you get. If you do both heads and jugs, then maybe a bigger TB would be in order though.

C#
Whut Me Wurry?

prodrag1320

SE heads would be better than stock heads,but with out work,your leaving alot on the table.

wfolarry

Quote from: prodrag1320 on July 02, 2013, 04:19:55 AM
SE heads would be better than stock heads,but with out work,your leaving alot on the table.
:agree: I have them on my bike. Out of the box the flow #'s are nothing special. If they're good cores they will flow in the 140's. With a little work you can get them in the 160's. Nicer chamber too. JMO

shovelbill

I know Kirby....and thanks. my quandary is my addiction.

I need to get rid of the powder coating off either way...WTF is the factory thinking there? ...my thought is that I may as well have a $350ish "touch up" and kill two chickens with one stick  :wink:........'cept I don't have the money right now........and I don't want to take the motor apart again LATER just to port the heads........because, as you say, "TOO much would be left on the table" NOT to do it......I wouldn't be happy if I didn't, because I really like this bike and don't want to make it a "project" bike.

shovelbill

Quote from: wfolarry on July 02, 2013, 05:27:06 PM
:agree: I have them on my bike. Out of the box the flow #'s are nothing special. If they're good cores they will flow in the 140's. With a little work you can get them in the 160's. Nicer chamber too. JMO

I hear you...and thanks Larry.

I could port my '95 heads for my "long in the tooth" '84 Softail motor.......from what I remember the '84/'85 weren't the greatest for porting.......and THAT'S the next motor to do........kinda like robbing Peter to pay Paul deal.  :bf:

was looking at maybe trying some Singe grooves as well....for less timing and detonation........so I've read about it. the guys that told me about their experience with them are men I believe as well.

my goal is for a....well......like a "responsive" locomotive motor.......without stroking it or going into the bottom end(if I don't have to).

why can't I just bolt them on? why?  :teeth:

maybe I shouldn't have started this thread...........all she really needs is lifters. :scratch:

don't want to do the gearing now.....can't really anyway, because I want a 6 speed with 3.37.......and that's gonna cost coin I don't have....to do it right.

oh...what to do....what to do.

TorQuePimp

oh...what to do....what to do.

send the heads to Larry  :up:

Finn

Excuse me but what sort of hp gains would/could one see between stock vs. stock SE vs. ported SE heads if other things are kept the same? Just an estimate would do just fine.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

ChromeHD4Me

Screaming Eagle intake and Heads, Vance and Hines slip-ons, EV 27 cam, stock crank and +.10 pistons
HP =65.88
Torque=75.76
Still needs a final tune......
I wanted to fresh it up and keep reliability......
Ride Safe...Keep Your Knees In The Breeze

evo58

ChromeHD4Me as i see the HP and TQ numbers , too much$$$$$$$$ for low numbers ,ihmo
could be better?
evo 

prodrag1320

those #`s are pretty low,getting at least close to HP per CID isn't a big deal,with a different cam,85+ isn't hard on still mild builds