April 27, 2024, 04:44:23 PM

News:

PV tune, lost the O2 sensors

Started by 05Train, July 04, 2013, 07:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: Coyote on July 09, 2013, 09:04:00 AM
I thought you did not get a check engine light for an O2 sensor error. At least not on newer bikes. I know I can unplug mine and get a diagnostic error code and not have the check engine light come on.
Quite possible but the overvoltage should have lit it up, I'd think :idunno:
Ron

05Train

Quote from: rbabos on July 09, 2013, 09:12:09 AM
I thought you did not get a check engine light for an O2 sensor error. At least not on newer bikes. I know I can unplug mine and get a diagnostic error code and not have the check engine light come on.
Quite possible but the overvoltage should have lit it up, I'd think :idunno:
Ron
Well, we'll find out when I get home.  I can't imagine that the PV would be picking up codes that the bike doesn't see, but stranger things have happened.
2005 Vivid Black Night Train - Lots 'o black
'12 FLHTCUSE7

Jamie Long

Quote from: FLTRI on July 09, 2013, 09:00:14 AM

Sorry if I offered misinformation here.

Can you offer a logical reason for why reflashing a VE limit-corrected PV calibration causes O2 system failure?
Bob

The specific cause if his O2 system issue has not yet been pinned down, however your assumption that "a VE limit-corrected PV calibration causes O2 system failure" is certainly premature. Again, while I do not like to speculate without seeing the bike I feel there may be an underlying electrical issue. During a phone conversation yesterday with the OP he noted that while logging it dropped O2 feedback near the end of his tuning session, when in AT Basic mode the ECM is doing business and usual. It did not actually happen when it was reflashed.

One other consideration is because late model ECM's do not set a CEL for O2 codes there is a possibility that this issue may have been happening previously, you would not have known unless you actively read back the codes. It would however showed up as an error when running AT Basic. 

FLTRI

:idea:  :up:
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

FLTRI

Quote from: Jamie Long on July 09, 2013, 09:31:33 AM

The specific cause if his O2 system issue has not yet been pinned down, however your assumption that "a VE limit-corrected PV calibration causes O2 system failure" is certainly premature. Again, while I do not like to speculate without seeing the bike I feel there may be an underlying electrical issue. During a phone conversation yesterday with the OP he noted that while logging it dropped O2 feedback near the end of his tuning session, when in AT Basic mode the ECM is doing business and usual. It did not actually happen when it was reflashed.

One other consideration is because late model ECM's do not set a CEL for O2 codes there is a possibility that this issue may have been happening previously, you would not have known unless you actively read back the codes. It would however showed up as an error when running AT Basic.
Just tossing out the issue the OP stated O2 operation was stable until he reflashed the modded calibration.
If that is not correct
Quote from: 05Train on July 09, 2013, 02:32:35 AM
Quote from: FLTRI on July 08, 2013, 06:58:09 PM
When the software realized and helped you correct the "running out of VE" issue it took the entire fueling calibration and enrichened everywhere.
This caused areas of the calibration to become so rich it doused the O2s.
This is common so the areas around the corrected maxed area must be reduced so it doesn't foul the O2s.

After more than 15 years EFI tuning Harley's I can say with great confidence:
There are no 100% auto tune systems...period.

Biggest issue closed loop systems have is exhaust market who provides us with unlimited choices, whether properly designed or not. So when O2 sensors are relied upon for fueling corrections and they get mixed messages or too rich or lean to read, the system can't work correctly.
Bob
Ummm, I never stated that this was an auto tune system, and it didn't adjust anything, I did.  When the ECM was reflashed, by coincidence or not, the ECM stopped reading the O2 sensors.  The exhaust is set up just fine for the O2s.

If, in fact, the sensors were "doused" then what?...
I believe you have an PV AT system?
Just noting that when the modified VE-adjusted calibration was reloaded the O2 system ceased to operate properly.
Try reloading the original, non limit adjusted and see if the sensors come back to life. If they've been run too rich for a while it will take a while to clean them back up.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Jamie Long

The OP is running Power Vision with AT Basic app using the factory O2 sensors. First thing we had him do was go to Restore Original on the PV which restores the complete original binary which is automatically backed up as a mirror image to the same state as before PV was married, he also flashed the earlier PV calibration where the bike was operating properly. The O2 sensors do not respond with either of them. Also no reason the bike would have been running rich as you continue to suggest, especially considering it was in closed loop right up until this issue presented itself

strokerjlk

I believe you have an PV AT system?
Just noting that when the modified VE-adjusted calibration was reloaded the O2 system ceased to operate properly.
Try reloading the original, non limit adjusted and see if the sensors come back to life. If they've been run too rich for a while it will take a while to clean them back up.
Bob

closed loop Lambda range was set to allow it to toggle lean/rich, :scratch:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

05Train

At the dealer having the charging system checked.  Results as I get them.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

05Train

No news today.  Hopefully tomorrow. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

05Train

Quick update....The bike's still at the dealer.  They think they've narrowed the overvoltage code to a faulty sensor in the speedometer.  New speedometer is on the way, hopefully I'll have a concrete answer early next week.

'12 FLHTCUSE7

joe_lyons

I have seen a few times that the speed sensor was failing and causing it to throw some weird codes that affected other sensors using a 5 volt reference signal.  It was easy to test unplug sensor and see if problem persists.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

05Train

Finally got some movement on this.

They still can't figure out the overvoltage, but they're thinking it might be the Custom Dynamics LED turn signals and load equalizer (I can't buy that since they worked fine on my Limited).  But they swapped out the ECM and the O2 codes disappeared.  So, new ECM coming.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

05Train

And finally, resolution.   

New ECM installed, no more codes.  Best I can figure, something (or some things) got really wet when I rode through TS Andrea and hosed up the ECM.  Dynojet was kind enough to issue me a new license for the PV so it won't cost me any more to set it up with the new ECM.   Jamie at FM was a huge help through this. 
'12 FLHTCUSE7

joe_lyons

Awesome glad to hear you got taken care of.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901