May 08, 2024, 09:41:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What kpa

Started by SteveFLHT, July 05, 2013, 02:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveFLHT

sometimes I get some pinging right off the clutch from a dead stop ,I want to pull some timing,what kpa cells should I be looking at. thanks Steve

rbabos

Depends on the cal and bike. Generally 50-80 area. Logging a few ping launches will get more in the ballpark and determine if it's one or both cyls that need timing dropped.
Ron

strokerjlk

Quote from: SteveFLHT on July 05, 2013, 02:50:33 PM
sometimes I get some pinging right off the clutch from a dead stop ,I want to pull some timing,what kpa cells should I be looking at. thanks Steve
look at your tip in.
look for a big jump from idle timing, to the 1750-2000 rpm 40-60 kpa area.
what ron said  :up:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

07heri

First off what timing numbers are you running at idle and the cells up to 2000 and out 50 KPa?  Without knowing what the timing is set at currently all you'll get is guesses for responses.  I've seen quite a few cals with quite a bit of timing down low.  Pinging and jerkiness is what usually results.  recently I spent 2 or 3 hours on a bike screwing with timing at idle and just off idle.  Bike was set up at 23*  idle.  Ended up idling best at 17* and 20* up to 1750.  I think alot of folks overlook getting idle and just off idle timing correct because they look more for the response out on the road.  I would start at 15* idle and work your way up and find out what it likes at idle.  Just sit back, let the WUE fade out, and LISTEN to it.  Bump it 2* and listen again.  Do this until it sounds like a solid stable consistent idle.  You will hear what it likes.  If you sit back and listen you really can get a sense of what it likes.  Once you find out what it likes at idle try the same numbers up to 1750 and see how it responds.  then bump it a few degrees progressively up to 2000 and see what it does.  Once the VE's are dialed in at idle leave it be.  IME I've found lower timing down low makes for a better idle, better launch and less jerkiness.  But you need to devote some time to playing around to find what feels good. 
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

FLTRI

Usually 60-up KPA if you a getting the ping/knock as you release the clutch and the rpms dip.
Easy to get high KPA/load at low rpms.

Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

strokerjlk

Quote from: 07heri on July 07, 2013, 02:39:16 PM
First off what timing numbers are you running at idle and the cells up to 2000 and out 50 KPa?  Without knowing what the timing is set at currently all you'll get is guesses for responses.  I've seen quite a few cals with quite a bit of timing down low.  Pinging and jerkiness is what usually results.  recently I spent 2 or 3 hours on a bike screwing with timing at idle and just off idle.  Bike was set up at 23*  idle.  Ended up idling best at 17* and 20* up to 1750.  I think alot of folks overlook getting idle and just off idle timing correct because they look more for the response out on the road.  I would start at 15* idle and work your way up and find out what it likes at idle.  Just sit back, let the WUE fade out, and LISTEN to it.  Bump it 2* and listen again.  Do this until it sounds like a solid stable consistent idle.  You will hear what it likes.  If you sit back and listen you really can get a sense of what it likes.  Once you find out what it likes at idle try the same numbers up to 1750 and see how it responds.  then bump it a few degrees progressively up to 2000 and see what it does.  Once the VE's are dialed in at idle leave it be.  IME I've found lower timing down low makes for a better idle, better launch and less jerkiness.  But you need to devote some time to playing around to find what feels good.
thats why I said check tip in .
but i didnt write a paragraph to say it  :scratch:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory