May 10, 2024, 09:32:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124" build...I'll let the cat out of the bag

Started by No Cents, July 07, 2013, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

319fatboy and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Just Nick

There is no way that guage is correct. Not with the way it runs and with the numbers it made. Skip the leak down and get a different guage to use
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

04 SE Deuce

Might need new valve core for compression gauge,  not tire core.  Generic link:  http://www.napaonline.com/p/BK_7009556

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 1FSTRK on June 03, 2016, 06:59:41 PM
Are you doing your tests on a cold engine?

:scratch:

If it were hot it would be higher then cold..

johncr

harleytuner

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

HD/Wrench

Is the engine ticking/ clatter ( like rocker hitting lid or spring retainer)  ??  Fouling plugs ?? ( too rich washed cylinder down, rings upside down etc Not stating any thing is what is going on )   if not just ride it .. You now what the chamber is for volume, short of the engine not sealing again , and it would have to be pretty bad for that low of CCP reading. So performance would be off, and creating other issues..  Throw all of the tools in a box for the riding season and put a time lock on it  Set it for OCT  HA HA

You spent the time to make sure it put together right , so ride the wheels off it and enjoy the summer..

Durwood

Ray, do I need to come get them tool box keys again?  :smiled:

Just Nick

I just hope the tune didn't screw the engine up and wash the cylinders

Don D

Ray, I don't get it.
I may not be the sharpest tool but I recall you going into great detail how a street / racing motor should have leak and compression checks done all through its life and now after the tune this pops up? Same with the importance of a proper tune before riding. I sincerely hope this is only a mild malady and you can continue on without any more down time.

jrgreene1968

I had a brand new snap on compression gauge cause me to tear down a Waukesha engine once, only to find nothing wrong. Since that time, I've got 3 different compression kits in my box. Probably just the valve cores bad, but gauges get knocked around. I prefer snap on and Mac gauges, but can happen to any brand for sure. Hope that's all it is  :up:

Ohio HD

Ray to me a super easy test would be unplug the ACR's and try to start the motor. With the +4cc pistons you have the the small cc's in the heads, it should be near 220 ccp? It should crank over really hard. If the compression is truly where the gauge shows, it'll spin over like crazy.

Don D

ACRS are not always trouble free but both cylinders low and an equal amount is interesting.

rbabos

Simple, the shrader valve is pooched on the gauge. Clean it with solvent.
Ron

mike jesse

Put the tools away and ride the F'ing bike!

No Cents

1workinman

I bought a 12 street glide a few weeks ago from a Harley dealer and I was told that it was ready to go checked out completely. I dove the bike and it ran ok. To be honest  never owned a fast Harley. I bought it and got  home the shifter lever was about to fall off. I was little ticked at this point . I bought a stainless steel lever off the net . I went back to the dealer to have a chat about that and was showed the sheet that had the inspection. I just about lost it when I saw the compression on both cylinders , I asked wtf they ran the compression with the compression releases active was the reason for the low compression. I have no idea how to compare that reading to a standard compression. Bikes runs ok and does not use oil or makes any unusual noise . I plan on a top end this winter any way.  Glad you got the bike running good Ray

CowboyTutt

June 04, 2016, 06:50:34 PM #4692 Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:06:21 PM by CowboyTutt
NO ONE wants to buy a "mystery motor" that they had the balls to buy.  The head porters out there who don't offer a flow sheet with their heads, really cheat the new buyer.  How do you run simulations to match the cams specs to head flow if you don't know how your heads flow???  Its a primary requirement.  How do you sell your motor to the next guy, if you yourself don't even have any idea what the build specs were, and what the tolerances are?  And someone else is just supposed to bend over, and gamble on what you did, when you yourself don't even know what was done????  Be prepared to take a big hit, pennies on the dollar for your engine build, if you don't have the specifications to back it up. and maybe even run it on some sims. 

You just threw away countless dollars if you have to sell the motor someday with the bike.  Just saying.... Get the specs!!!!! 

Regards,

-Tutt 

No Cents

-A-...I'm not worried about a flow sheet with these heads. I don't think I would ever consider selling this engine either. So no other person would have to be concerned about getting flow data.
   I just had to run some errands and I had to make three different stops so I decided to take the bike. The bike ran flawlessly and it actually seems to be the smoothest it has ever ran. It runs cool (oil temp was 212*) after the 50 miles I just put on it and it started instantly when I hit the button every time. I can't ask for much more than that right now. I'm just happy to have the opportunity to be in the wind.    :chop:

Just Nick

Well Ray what did the ccp retest at I know you have had enough time to find out.

Cowboy flow sheets are one part of a build and I have never ran across any one who would not buy a bike that is built because there is no flow sheet obvesly there is a dyno sheet and that is more than enough. There are a lot of proven head porters out there that don't do flow sheets and that is not enough for me to get bent like you and not use there services these guys know there "Potty mouth" screw a piece of paper. After all the dyno will prove it. And if some a hole don't want to buy a bike because no paper work from the head porter o well screw him there is a lot of buyers out there. And no matter what you do to these bikes it's penny on the dollars you never get you full investment back. You are relie to much on paper work when the final results speak for them selfs I have done plenty of build knowing there would be no data from the head guy but we communicate about everything and the results were what was expected or better these guys don't want there secrets out there and I don't blame them

Ohio HD

Quote from: Just Nick on June 05, 2016, 08:23:52 AM
Cowboy flow sheets are one part of a build and I have never ran across any one who would not buy a bike that is built because there is no flow sheet obvesly there is a dyno sheet and that is more than enough. There are a lot of proven head porters out there that don't do flow sheets and that is not enough for me to get bent like you and not use there services these guys know there "Potty mouth" screw a piece of paper. After all the dyno will prove it. And if some a hole don't want to buy a bike because no paper work from the head porter o well screw him there is a lot of buyers out there. And no matter what you do to these bikes it's penny on the dollars you never get you full investment back. You are relie to much on paper work when the final results speak for them selfs I have done plenty of build knowing there would be no data from the head guy but we communicate about everything and the results were what was expected or better these guys don't want there secrets out there and I don't blame them

:up:     :up:     :up:      Some like bragging rights Nick, they won't actually race anyone. It's a way to puff your chest on the forums, not the street or track.

Don D

Quote from: rbabos on June 04, 2016, 12:20:17 PM
Simple, the shrader valve is pooched on the gauge. Clean it with solvent.
Ron

I am with you Ron

I supply all the specifications but that said fixturing is enough to blow the flow numbers in terms of lab accuracy. Even if the other benches are calibrated with plates as mine is a slightly different setup can cause variances. Then there are the wacky numbers that float around on the net that are definitely fake or the guy doesn't know how to calibrate the bench. Easy to spot when a guy says he is flowing 400cfm@28" through a 1.8" inlet head.

1FSTRK

Vic once told me when I was quoting internet flow number to him.

"That paper will lay right still so anybody can write anything they want on it."

Ray glad you are up and running. If someone want to see your flow sheet, show them your tail light instead.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

kd

"If someone want to see your flow sheet, show them your tail light instead."

:agree: :up: :up: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

KD

HD/Wrench

Hey Ray the heads I gave you flow about -50 CFM  at 900 lift .   :hyst: :potstir: