September 20, 2024, 06:28:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124" build...I'll let the cat out of the bag

Started by No Cents, July 07, 2013, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

Ray,

IIRC Paul is running a carb engine. If that is so, and you have the FI plus access to a premium tuner that REALLY knows his stuff, you should be able to keep the "street" in it (and know if doing that has left anything on the table). You'll be riding again.  :up: Many of us have gone (almost) to far for the street and learned how to manage it as a daily driver. Your new mods shouldn't shave anything off the longevity of the last version, in fact it may make it better. That is as long as you don't let that neighbor of yours egg you on too much.  :hyst: :hyst: I think you've already taken care of the breaky stuff in the drive train so here's hoping the pipe still performs and the rest of the season is pure enjoyment.  :wink:
KD

No Cents

kd & "06"...yes Paul's bikes are carb'd. I'm hoping the FI has some better manners and keeps it streetable...but that is to be seen.
This will be a good test for my pipe also. I think it might do well...but then again...that remains to be seen also.
I think a lot of questions I have will be answered for me very soon.
I've been working on some swing arm braces to take away the possibility of any side loading flexing. I got the heim joints in the mail today...so I'm going to try to do a little mocking up on it. I'm using 7075 aluminum round bar for the struts that I will cut to length and drill and tap the ends for the heims. This 7075 round bar aluminum is suppose to be a lot stronger than steel...and of course way lighter. I'm making a dual purpose bracket that will support one end of a heim joint and also serve the purpose of mounting a lower foot peg to the bracket for racing. This bracket will go over the swing arm bushing bracket and will be directly bolted to the frame.
Don't laugh at the rough drawing on the flat stock aluminum. It's just giving me a general idea holding it up in place of how I kind of want the final product to be.

[attach=0]

Ray

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

No Cents

June 06, 2015, 03:55:08 PM #3327 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:13:58 AM by No Cents
 one side of the first strut drilled and tapped hanging from a rear bracket.

[attach=0]

Ray

harleytuner

There's no reason a FI bike In damn near and configuration can't be stretchable. It just takes a little more to dial in the lower ranges. This bike will be fine with a good tune.

FSG

Are those heim joints left and right hand threads to make for easy adjustment?

No Cents

yes they are Gary.  :wink:
I'm thinking of possibly milling in two flat sides in the middle of the round bar for adjustment ease.

Ray

FSG

I'd hex the ends of the bar, but that's just me.  Is the bar dia the same as the peak to peak of the hex nut?

No Cents

yes...the round bar measured .6245" in diameter...and the jamb nut from peak to peak measures .625".
close enough for hand grenades and horse shoes.

bulldog68

No Cents

thanks for the idea Gary  :idea:
nothing a little tape, a vice, a file, and a little elbow grease can't cure.

[attach=0]

Ray

bulldog68

Definitely better ! Wasn't sure what you had to work with .......

FSG

98fxstc

1FSTRK

Ray why not mount the heim joint centers so that the suspension will still work?
Then you could run them on the street.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

John/1

June 07, 2015, 04:44:39 AM #3339 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:47:13 AM by John/1
Hey Ray,this is what I did I put a 8" solid piece of rectangular aluminum in my swingarm.I drill and tap the outside  my swingarm and aluminum but not out the inside of the swingarm.I also put a solid bushing in the pivot block,was thinking the strut wouldn't bind if it followed the same path that the swingarm does.We also mounted the swingarm with solid bushings.
John

No Cents

June 07, 2015, 04:49:21 AM #3340 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:37:25 AM by No Cents
 Eric & John/1...I'm welding these heim braces on the center of the swing arm when they come in. They have not arrived in the mail yet. The braces are specifically for the size heims I'm using.
The strut will be on center plain of swing arm bushing thru bolt and centered on the swing arm. I plan to mount it...and run it all the time. It will be on the same plain as the swing arm is.

[attach=0]

Ray

1FSTRK

OK
The pic of your aluminium bracket showed the front heim mounting behind the swing arm axle
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

John/1

Hey Ray,I like that you don't sit idle while waiting for parts thanks for sharing.
John

No Cents

June 07, 2015, 05:31:41 AM #3343 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:44:16 AM by No Cents
  I've got to keep the old brain working John...if I don't I'm afraid I'll go senile.  :hyst:
The flat stock aluminum bracket I'll be making will go over the factory swing arm bushing bracket using the same bolt holes as the factory bracket does. It will have a mounting hole rearwards of the thru bolt of the swing arm...and it will be on the same plain as it is on.
This is being done to have the room for putting the bolt thru the forward heim joint.
If I'm thinking correctly on this...the heim'd struts on each side of the swing arm should move exactly in the same swing of motion as swing arm does. I'll just be adding any needed extra support to stop any side load flexing of the swing arm by helping to support it and hold it straighter inline.  :nix:
Am I thinking wrong on this?
If I am...I'm going to have to go back and re-think how I can make a mounting point on the front heim to the bracket.

Ray

John/1

Yes I went back and looked at your pick sound and looks good to me Ray.You could use hex stock for foot pegs,turn down one end then knurled,hollow and cut to length.
John

No Cents

John...I've got some 7/8" OD 7075 aluminum round bar for the foot pegs. I was going to have my buddy knurl them for me.

Ray

John/1

Sound like you got it covered Ray don't forget to show us when your done. :up: :up:
John

No Cents

well now I'm second guessing my bracket mounting point being rearward of the thru axle of the swing arm. I can't get it straight in my brain now.
Plan "B"...I could cut to width this 3/4" flat stock and have it welded onto the bracket right above where the axle would be. I'd have to counter sink drill the back side of it so the head of the mounting bolt wouldn't be hitting the swing arms thru axle. I'd probably have to counter sink the outside also so I could run the heim's mounting bolt thru the bracket and have a nut recessed enough so I can tighten it thru the bracket and have a solid mounting point for the heim joint. That way the heim will slip over the extending bolt and I can use a nylon locking nut on the outside of the heim. This way the strut would have the same mounting location as the swing arm does to the frame.

[attach=0]

Ray

Buffalo

Be sure to hollow out them pegs, man, they'll slow you down!!  LOL  :hyst: Buffalo

kd

Plan B is the way to do it Ray. You'll need the front heim to be on center with the swing arm pivot and the rear one centered in the swing arm attaching point. If not you'll have different arcs and the braces will consequently push and pull the swing arm while riding down the road.  Nice stuff there buddy.
KD