May 09, 2024, 03:57:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Strange Rattle / Knock

Started by Ohio HD, July 07, 2013, 11:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on March 13, 2015, 07:35:13 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 13, 2015, 07:27:37 AM
Quote from: koko3052 on March 13, 2015, 06:38:58 AM
OHHH. sorry, I thot it was the 117 :embarrassed:

Still.... the same goes... should last longer no matter how they are run.

No worries Bill, I also have the Ultra spewing brass in a new post....    :doh:

I may have mentioned once that I ride pretty hard....    :chop:
That should not have any impact on the thrust washers unless something has shifted. More so the wrist pin bushings, but still, seems too soon. By chance , are you running Kendall oil?
Ron

No, Mobile 1 20w50 V-twin at that time, when a 107 motor.

I run Brad Penn in it now, with the 117 motor.

rageglide

Quote from: rbabos on March 13, 2015, 06:25:32 AM
Quote from: rageglide on March 12, 2015, 09:08:49 PM
Does the thrust washer wear because of lack of clearance?  ie, too tight combo of parts?  On my 103" it feels like a mile of slop if I push/pull the crank with the primary removed.  Is the assembly really that off centered?
.006 sounds like slop city on these things. I remember feeling it also and checking with an indicator. Golden rule in end play is crank to be half of what the tightest play would be in the rods end play. Too tight or lack of lube takes out the thrust washers.
Ron

Thanks Ron.  I'll bolt the comp back on and toss an indicator on the shaft and check end play.  Right now it's about 1/4" Which I presume is NOT abnormal when the crank doesn't have the comp sprocket installed.   My scoot is still sitting half naked waiting for me to decide what I ant to do... 124, 113... Work done local or through the HTT community.    But hey, I got my compensaver yesterday lol...

rbabos

Quote from: rageglide on March 13, 2015, 08:44:41 AM
Quote from: rbabos on March 13, 2015, 06:25:32 AM
Quote from: rageglide on March 12, 2015, 09:08:49 PM
Does the thrust washer wear because of lack of clearance?  ie, too tight combo of parts?  On my 103" it feels like a mile of slop if I push/pull the crank with the primary removed.  Is the assembly really that off centered?
.006 sounds like slop city on these things. I remember feeling it also and checking with an indicator. Golden rule in end play is crank to be half of what the tightest play would be in the rods end play. Too tight or lack of lube takes out the thrust washers.
Ron

Thanks Ron.  I'll bolt the comp back on and toss an indicator on the shaft and check end play.  Right now it's about 1/4" Which I presume is NOT abnormal when the crank doesn't have the comp sprocket installed.   My scoot is still sitting half naked waiting for me to decide what I ant to do... 124, 113... Work done local or through the HTT community.    But hey, I got my compensaver yesterday lol...
Yes, comp needs to be on or the crank floats a lot from the spacer moving. Compensaver :up:
Ron