May 21, 2024, 04:32:37 AM

News:

Fuel pressure testing

Started by dabreeze54, July 15, 2013, 07:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabreeze54

I just replaced fuel line between pump and filter on an 07 Road Glide.  It had a pinhole. After replacement pressure would hold at 45lb.  This is with a homemade pressure gauge hooked up directly to quick disconnect on tank. Bike started and ran.  Next day when I checked pressure, none!  Checked pressure on an 02 Road King and was at 55lb.  Back to my RG and zero pressure but bike started and ran. Why am I getting no indication on my pressure gauge on RG but good on Road King?  Is there something at quick disconnect going on?  I take it with a full tank and no fuel pressure bike should not run?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

There is obviously pressure if the bike runs. The Hose Barb on the tank has a ball and spring which blocks flow in the event of a failure so Gasoline does not escape. I would guess you need to release the pressure prior to hooking the home made pressure tester to it. – This is a guess as I'm not familiar with your setup. 55-63 PSIG is normal operating range for residual pressure.
Tom

dabreeze54

That was it!  I pushed up on check ball inside quick disconnect and pressure was released.  I then hooked up gauge, turned on ignition switch and it read right at 60 psi.  I feel better knowing pressure is what it should be and is holding pressure(no leaks).  Learned something new today! Thanks for the useful info!  Van