May 09, 2024, 06:15:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

EVO lifters

Started by mchase, August 26, 2013, 10:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchase

I've always heard you should replace EVO lifters around 20-25k, I also heard there is supposed to be a Tech Bulletin on it, does anyone have a copy of that they could post?, also I heard that the factory "B" lifters are fine to use as a replacement, or does anyone have some suggestions ?, Jims ? S&S ? Gatormen ?

Thanks

stroker800

Velva Touch is the last name in lifters...I'm just replacing S&S lifters in a 96" motor as we speak...Dave who owns Velva touch is a great guy,,stands behind his product,,great tech,,..Outta 3 bikes just need to replace my shovels next..
Dave

Dan89flstc

OEM lifters are fine. I don`t think I have ever actually seen a tech bulletin posted, but I don`t doubt that they should be changed at 25k...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

stroker800

I'd pass on stock lifters,,,if you ride a lot you will be doin lifters once evey year,,,That gets expensive..I have dropped a bearing thru my RK...Ate the cam,,rocker arm and once home required a major tear down..Also when installing lifter blocks use alignment screws to center blocks,,stops lifter roller from side loading..S&S 96" had this issue,,roller axle creeping out...I don't know how you ride or if motor is built and I'm prolly not stable ,,BUT I prefer best parts made in my motor...Now most failures are on me...
Dave

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

I heard 50 k on the Harley B lifters, 25 k on A. A being small axle B having big axles. I got right at 53,000 before one of my B lifters let go. Two were still tight and the intake on the rear was about to go. It was my rear exhaust that cost me my cam and lifter block replacement.

mchase

So I guess the big question now is when did they start putting the "B" lifters into production ?

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

1999 is what I was told.

FSG

August 28, 2013, 02:11:36 PM #7 Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:15:32 PM by FSG

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

Wasn't 97 also the same year the EVO got the heavy case again? There started to be issues with small cracks at the oil sending units if my memory is correct. I don't know what year the issues started, lighter cases. I guess that would take a new thread, just rung a bell reading the other posts.

My daughter is surprising her husband with a 99 fatboy, red, my 99 is sinister blue and diamond ice.  13,800 miles on it, $8,500.00. First owner sold it in a devorce to a friend of mine. He never road it so he sold it to a mutual friend. He never road it so my daughter bought it. Now I am riding it home tomorrow, I'm  locking it up in my shed so my daughter can surprise him with it.

Boy did I get off track, 97 big axle 10-4.

bobrk1

Harley are good lifters, my bro had 1 go at about 30k, didn't replace another one until after 100k depends on your luck a shop I know builds hi horse motors and he uses them. I foy uodnt like them I would go with velvatouch.

shovelbill

August 29, 2013, 09:30:33 PM #10 Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:57:37 PM by shovelbill
I seem to remember to CHECK the lifters at 30K, but my memory sucks.......depends on cam, rpms, routine maintenance (good clean oil) etc. I've gotten 60K on B lifters with a little Leineweber cam.

depends on mileage, but new lifters with a new cam is a pretty standard thing with the folks I know.

Screamin Eagles are made by Jims and that's what's going in both my evos when I do the top ends over. I got a good deal on them.......I like the S&S limiters too.

take 'em apart and inspect them....measure the bore in your blocks......see what you're working with before you throw money at a problem that may not exist.......gaskets are cheap

I run a Velva Touch setup in my shovel with a Mackie evo cam........Dave is one of the best men in the industry, but Vern Ott "invented" them
build it, bust it.....figure out why

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

My wrench use fueling in mine after the f up last year. I've not found to many good things about them used in TC'S but can't find anything at all used in EVO's.

speed limit

Quote from: shovelbill on August 29, 2013, 09:30:33 PM
I seem to remember to CHECK the lifters at 30K, but my memory sucks.......depends on cam, rpms, routine maintenance (good clean oil) etc. I've gotten 60K on B lifters with a little Leineweber cam.

depends on mileage, but new lifters with a new cam is a pretty standard thing with the folks I know.

Screamin Eagles are made by Jims and that's what's going in both my evos when I do the top ends over. I got a good deal on them.......I like the S&S limiters too.

take 'em apart and inspect them....measure the bore in your blocks......see what you're working with before you throw money at a problem that may not exist.......gaskets are cheap

I run a Velva Touch setup in my shovel with a Mackie evo cam........Dave is one of the best men in the industry, but Vern Ott "invented" them
i have had BAD LUCK with both Jims brand and S.E. made by Jims lifters gernade in as few as 3500 miles with woods cams if you use them stay under a .510 lift cam  hard to beat S&S for evo lifters there is a reason you got such a good deal on the Jims
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

shovelbill

Quote from: speed limit on August 30, 2013, 05:30:45 AM
Quote from: shovelbill on August 29, 2013, 09:30:33 PM

i have had BAD LUCK with both Jims brand and S.E. made by Jims lifters gernade in as few as 3500 miles with woods cams if you use them stay under a .510 lift cam  hard to beat S&S for evo lifters there is a reason you got such a good deal on the Jims

i'll say this first, I don't buy Jims parts on purpose because of the SHITTTY customer service...exploding aluminum pushrods and the big axle lifters grenading.......a while back Jims was using imported lifter rollers, then they managed to wrangle 10,000 more made in USA rollers that were supposed to go to another company.

the sets I have are NOS.....I got the deal when I recently started working at the stealership. I also got the SE(Jims) roller rockers, which I never heard anything bad about.......I don't recall anyone having issues with lifters from back in the evo era, but my memory sucks.......i'll ask the old wrenches that are sill around and check on the date of manufacture........you're right about S&S, especially their new TC lifters......thanks
build it, bust it.....figure out why

mp

".....I don't recall anyone having issues with lifters from back in the evo era, but my memory sucks...."

Heh.   Yeah, people had issues......