May 10, 2024, 09:40:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Super E with OEM AC

Started by Little Al, February 21, 2009, 11:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxRoadRunner69 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Little Al

I have a Super E with a manifold that works with it well.

I want to use the E even though I'm gonna use the internal throttle. i expect i'll have some problems with that one. I'll save that thread for when I'm ready. I use a "B" on my Shovel and went with just a pull cable and it's been fine 50K plus miles, just put an in-line spring over the inner cable at the carb between the bracket and the little screw-in cable end. I figure I'll have to do something similar.

But in the meantime, I was looking at how I can use my OEM backplate & air cleaner cover on the E.
it looks to be simple, the backplate holes line up with those in the carb for a direct attachment but I need some kind of filler. the backplate can't actually mate up against the carb body, it needs maybe 1 - 1 1/2 inches.

I can't think of anything I can make it up with, or is there something made already? Anyone ever do that that can steer me in the right direction?
Little Al

Erichill

Little Al,
You'll need to make a bell crank to transfer the 'push' of the internal throttle to the 'pull' the carb needs. Basically a rod with a pivet in  the center. Can't help with air cleaner, but I see fabricating in your future. Looking like a fun project. You all are making want to start another pan proeject.
Eric

Little Al

Yeah Eric, I know about the push/pull reversal, thanks for reminding me while I'm fabricating (see my other posts, lol)

heres a pic of what I'm trying to explain, if the carb body could (but it can't) make it all the way into the recess in the backing plate the enrichner knob (at red line) wouldn't be accessable and I'm sure cause all other kinds of interference.

and the "space" i need to fill, from the carb body (red line) to inside the recess in the backing plate. All tolled it needs about an inch

Little Al

MBSKEAM

just run a small dia. braided cable, been doing this since 93

and look here....

http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5128

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

Little Al

that's me in that post over on H-G, lol

thanks for your guidance, you've inspired me to take another direction starting with the S&S backplate....
Little Al

MBSKEAM

yes, I know...
I'm just post crazy....LOL

mbskaem
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

Little Al

must be on the west coast, I'm in NYC, cause you're usually on late.

I'm looking at your pics and I think I might have come up with a way to do something similar without the welding you did for the stand-offs. Gotta think and look some more before I do any cutting. I come from the carpentry world and learned years ago, measure twice, cut once, lol
Little Al

Pynzo

February 24, 2009, 03:54:29 AM #7 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:11:14 AM by Pynzo
Al- I bought an old style teardrop breather from Paughco that bolts on to the Super E. They list it to fit '84 up Evos with S&S cause they include a bolt and stud to attach to the rear head, but with a Pan using a support bracket between the center case stud and lower carb to manifold bolt, you won't need an upper support. You can also get a reverse/pull throttle spiral H-D 56220-58.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

76shuvlinoff

There used to be adapters (I think on ebay) to convert an E to a center bolt cover.
  You had to round off the teardrop backing plate, I did it with a hacksaw and a file.  Pretty simple with 3 longer bolts, 3 stand-off sleeves and a plate.  Had it on my shovel before I switched to a cv.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Little Al

Ok so now you all really got me thinking and after looking at your pictures and staring at the whole thing for a billion hours and NOT having welding equipment (nor being capable if I did) I came up with this solution:

First I took the S&S plate and cut off the too stand-offs (right side of pic) and ground down the stubs, then laid the OEM round backplate on top to mark for cutting the "drop" off the teardrop side of the S&S plate. smooth, ground, etc to make it nice

that left me with a rough "enlarging" of the OEM backplate to get it over the altered S&S so they sit flush together. this pic is me getting started with that. I promise, when it was done it was nice and neat.

Next was a while cleaning & cutting & grinding & shaping until I got the back plates to lay up flush then drilled and tapped 3 holes into the S&S so I could hold them together with screws. I put a bead of hi-temp RTV silicone between the plates before pulling them together tight with the screws, just to prevent it loosening & rattling someday.

Finally all together on the carb. The S&S plate (with support built into it) provides the right operation of the enrichner and the "new" OEM round backing plate attached provides for me to use my OEM round Air Cleaner cover. Just what I always wanted!

Thanks again guys for the ideas and encouragement.
Little Al

Pynzo

What carb did that backing plate fit originally? I've got one from a Linkert DC and didn't want to cut it up.

Little Al

February 24, 2009, 12:55:41 PM #11 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:00:31 PM by Little Al
I don't know. but I think I have another one.

The motor ('54) came with a S&S E and he aso gave me a Mikuni that was sorta rigged up to this backing plate. it already had some cuts & extra drill holes in it which is why I didn't mind playing with it. It worked out well for me.

If you need the other let me know and I'll search for it. I believe he gave me two and the other one was un-molested.

edited to add:
I can tell you this for sure, the air cleaner cover I have is one of the round OEM with B&S logo and it fits over this backplate perfectly.
also there is one on eBay right now (the exact one I show here) at a current price of $19 I think as of this morning
Little Al

Little Al

my mistake, it's not exactly the same, but in case you want to take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-Carb-Backing-Plate_W0QQitemZ380105229635QQihZ025QQcategoryZ35574QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

19 hours to go, currently $19.99 plus $8.00 shipping, no bids yet
Little Al

Pynzo

February 24, 2009, 04:26:11 PM #13 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 04:33:05 PM by Pynzo
That's a Linkert DC plate. I figured one off an M model Linkert might work better. The cover bracket on this plate isn't wide enough to do the mod you came up with, and I got to tell you that it's pure genius!

Little Al

well thanks man.

when I can do something that you guys think is OK I'm doing pretty damn good, lol
Little Al

Little Al

btw Pynzo, if you need me to try and dig up that other plate, let me know, or if you need measurements off the one I used.
Little Al

Pynzo

If you come across it let me know- I'd like to set up an aircleaner like you did for dusty days. I kinda like the breather snoot but a filter comes in handy sometimes!

Little Al

I'll keep an eye open for it as I sift through parts over the next week or two.
Little Al

Little Al

Little Al

Pynzo

Thanks Al! I ordered up a kit- cheaper than a knockoff air cleaner and I've got 2 original covers on the shelf. I let you know how it works out when I get it.

Little Al

cool, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Little Al

Pynzo

Al- Got the kit today, and what you get is instructions to modify the S&S backing plate exactly as you had done, a triangular adapter plate that is held in front of the carb's mouth by 3 extended screws,internal tooth lockwashers, and spacers, and a buttonhead screw which won't work with the stock cover. The spacers and screws are too long to use a stock filter, so I'm going to cut them down a little as I'd like this thing to work with a K&N stock replacement filter. I'l post some pics when it's done. Was it worth the $27 I paid for it? I think so- gotta support homebrew ingenuity wherever possible otherwise mf'ers will quit trying to come up with that better mousetrap! Panzerbuzzz- if you read this I owe you a brew!

Pynzo

It works with the stock S&S filter, but a stock Harley filter for this cover (29036-56) isn't big enough around to fit snug against S&S' backing plate. I looks like K&N filter # E-2470 will fit, it has the same height as the stock filter and has an I.D. slightly larger than K&N's S&S replacement filter. I'm going to order one and see how it fits before I cut down the bolts and spacers. Overall i'd say I was very satisfied with this kit, and would recommend it!

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Little Al

looks pretty slick, and a reasonable price too!

I just knew I shoulda patented my modification, lol
Little Al

Pynzo

March 05, 2009, 07:58:41 AM #24 Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:03:57 AM by Pynzo
Don't give up yet! This rig works with the '56 up center bolt cover- your bike needs a J slot, and your process would be the best bet for one of those, adapting the OEM backplate to the S&S. Check out the repop J slot that Old Dude is selling- you might consider redoing your backing plate with one of these as it'll be correct for your '54.

Little Al

gonna take a look as soon as my boss stops expecting me to work.

LOL
Little Al

Little Al

just wanted to update you guys. I have the modified backing plate, carb, manifold and AC test fitted onto the the motor and it worked out mighty fine

Little Al

Pynzo

K&N's filter, E-2740, works perfectly with Panzerbuzzz's adapter kit.

Little Al

I did get a K&N washable foam filter for it, it fit over the oem wire mesh I had for the oem air cleaner. Tossed the box so I have no idea on the part number
Little Al