Rear fender upgrade-My 91 FXR Daily Driver Street Bike

Started by pwmorris, August 27, 2013, 11:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwmorris

Rear fender upgrade-
9" Fender with 190 tire. New flat black paint job as well and moved the plate to the fender to clean it up a bit. We needed to cut back the fender struts triangle where they originate to get it to fit in there, as well as modify the struts. No mods needed for swingarm but its starting show its age (cracked twice) from the abuse I give it, so I am having one built by Trac with a gorilla bar to reinforce it. Taking forever to finish but it's finally at the powdercoater-will post up a pic when I finally get it.

Grumpy : (

Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

ndmp40

Ohio HD

klammer76

:up: That bike has to get a lot of attention, very cool.

Ed Y

98roadking

I really like your front wheel and perimeter brake set-up.
New rear fender looks good too.

Merc63

Looks good with the new fender.  What's that bike weigh in at?
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

FXDRYDR

That looks great! Really ties everything together too.  Very nice job.

garyajaz

impressed  (as usual) with your stuff.
your daily rider street bike is more race bike than a lot of race bikes...

88b

Ollies930

Nice, clean, simple, purposeful and tough as nails looking. Awesome example of an FXR.

NETacomaFatboy

Wow..  love the front rotor.

The front chrome trim is nice but the back needs some.  Maybe modify/add the chrome tail trim from a 06 SE Fatboy???

Just a thought.

pwmorris

Thx for the props guys-
Been a fun, very reliable, very quick street bike for years now.

Merc, it's been a few years since I weighed it but if I remember it was around 530, 535-depending on fuel level.
The new rear fender set up added a few lbs but the new plate frame is lighter than before when I had it mounted on the side, and my new swingarm (if it ever gets finished), should be several lbs lighter than the one I have now so should be in the 525 range-give or take.

ndmp40

Who makes custom swingarms for Harleys?  Looking for one to replace the 3" over I made for my sportster years ago.  Want aluminum, its steel now.
Thanks

Merc63

Light for a harley.  Whats the average dyna weigh?
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

pwmorris

Quote from: Merc63 on August 29, 2013, 02:03:15 PM
Light for a harley.  Whats the average dyna weigh?
Not sure about Dynas but yours looks heavy-especially that front end and wheels.
I've got carbon fiber body panels, aluminum gas tank, light wheels and front end,and have got rid of any extras.
Quote from: ndmp40 on August 29, 2013, 11:03:04 AM
Who makes custom swingarms for Harleys?  Looking for one to replace the 3" over I made for my sportster years ago.  Want aluminum, its steel now.
Thanks
Mine is at Trac but it has been like 4-5 months. Just called and they say it will be ready tomorrow. We will see...
Have given me lots of excuses, etc, which I am not used to. Because of that I can't really endorse them but they put out a good product. Had one of their arms on another one of my bike several years ago but they were way more on top of it then-

http://tracdynamics.com/collections/harley-davidson-swingarms/products/harley-davidson-swingarms

Also these guys are in the UK but seem real straight forward to deal with, with a 6 week build time.
METMACHEX ENGINEERING LTD

If you don't mid sending your arm out, John at PMFR will make you whatever you want but he needs your arm to work of a template.

ndmp40

Thanks, very helpful.   Who is PMFR? 
Do you have a website link?

pwmorris

Also, Simons Competition (Andy Simon) in PA was doing sportster swingarms as well.
(215) 269-5010

HD/Wrench

I really want to build another race bike. in my spare time HA HA thats the funny I cannot ride what I have at this point. Paul the bike is looking sexy as hell .. as always  .

Funny the chain drive bagger conversion kit they have looks very much like another one listed on some one else site that they state they make..  :hyst:

This company has been around for some time see there stuff in the winners circle ..

harleytoprock

pwmorris, Nice work! I'm trying to figure how you were able to get a 9 inch rear fender in there. I've heard of spreading the frame but that throws off the shock alignment at the swing arm. So, how did you do it? Do you have any pictures of the modifications?

pwmorris

Quote from: harleytoprock on August 30, 2013, 05:30:33 PM
pwmorris, Nice work! I'm trying to figure how you were able to get a 9 inch rear fender in there. I've heard of spreading the frame but that throws off the shock alignment at the swing arm. So, how did you do it? Do you have any pictures of the modifications?
No other pics other than the ones I posted at the top of this thread-It may help that the fender is pulled back some-we did bend the struts slightly but as you can see no magic tricks-it does fit.

pwmorris

SWINGARM-
Just picked up the swingarm from Trac-it was ready when he said it was going to be this time. Nice guy when we met and they still do top level work.
I think they were either swamped with work or pulled the "2-4 weeks" it will be ready deal to get some business-should have said 2-4 months!
Anyway gonna put it on this week but It felt light! They say 10 lbs lighter than stock and this one cam in a 12.2 lbs. Don't know what a stocker weights, but this is quite a bit longer than stock and yet still feels quite a bit lighter...

I think if a guy wants a great aftermarket arm they are a good option but expect a long long wait-

04 SE Deuce

Nice looking arm.  Compared to your current swingarm it looks like it might be a little shorter and/or the rearmost shock mount is closer to the axle to lower the bike a little?   Rick

Mopar

I really like the looks of the bike and the rear fender. The swing arm looks like a well made piece. nice job.

pwmorris

August 31, 2013, 01:24:36 PM #28 Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:30:36 PM by pwmorris
Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on August 31, 2013, 12:56:51 PM
Nice looking arm.  Compared to your current swingarm it looks like it might be a little shorter and/or the rearmost shock mount is closer to the axle to lower the bike a little?   Rick
Yeah Rick, I thought so too but I put it next to the bike and it's actually 2" longer-the closest to the pivot shock mount is where it's gonna go and it should make the shock slightly lower the bike but that is adjustable as well so I think I'm good.
Also, the arm itself is taller so you have to move the shock back slightly to get the same height.

Admiral Akbar

Paul.. Great looking fender.. The guys that did the swingarm look to do pretty good work also.. As usual your stuff looks pretty mean..

Max

Merc63

Looks good. Im due for a new swing arm as well. Someone who had the bike before me hacked this one up trying to hide the axle nut.

What do those run, 1000 bucks?

Mine weighs close to 25lbs Id say.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

misfitJason

2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

pwmorris

Quote from: Merc63 on August 31, 2013, 04:00:34 PM
Looks good. Im due for a new swing arm as well. Someone who had the bike before me hacked this one up trying to hide the axle nut.

Yeah, retail around a grand-
When you were asking about lightweight parts, I forgot the lithium battery on my bike vs. a lead acid (another 10 lbs saved).

Thanks again guys for the positive comments....

build it

Leading the pack once again, by a country mile.
Thanks for sharing your progress Paul.
James
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

Merc63

Quote from: pwmorris on September 01, 2013, 07:57:46 AM

When you were asking about lightweight parts, I forgot the lithium battery on my bike vs. a lead acid (another 10 lbs saved).

My new mission is weight reduction. I have a heavy pig of a bike. 
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: Merc63 on September 01, 2013, 11:04:45 AM

I understand the weight reduction addiction.  All of my mods have had that as a consideration.  Carbon fiber wheels, composite rotors, windowed the wheel set, lighter balancers.  I tried the BDP compensator in part because it was lighter.  That mod doesn't work out well.  I am having a Bandit open primary put on now.  That should help lighten up the rotating mass some.  Next battery change I am going Lithium.  Loosing about 20 lbs off my personal frame wouldn't be a bad idea either.  I've dropped about 60lbs off the factory weight so far.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Merc63

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on September 01, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: Merc63 on September 01, 2013, 11:04:45 AM

I understand the weight reduction addiction.  All of my mods have had that as a consideration.  Carbon fiber wheels, composite rotors, windowed the wheel set, lighter balancers.  I tried the BDP compensator in part because it was lighter.  That mod doesn't work out well.  I am having a Bandit open primary put on now.  That should help lighten up the rotating mass some.  Next battery change I am going Lithium.  Loosing about 20 lbs off my personal frame wouldn't be a bad idea either.  I've dropped about 60lbs off the factory weight so far.

60lbs is huge.  I think I can shave some lbs over winter with new wheels, swing arm, battery etc.

I want to find a lighter front end oo.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

pwmorris

Arm on the bike-also new DZ 530 chain. 70" wheelbase extended-Swingarm is so strong and bearing/sleeve design limits any flex I don't think I'll need any type of additional lateral support.

Merc63

2000 Dyna
126" S&S

John/1

kristian

damn i love duals, reminds of tunnel rams back in the day, nice skoot
Kris