May 09, 2024, 01:26:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil

Started by Hooda, August 21, 2013, 09:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooda

I have hopped up 1988 sporty. I change the oil often. Always run Harley 20-50. Pricey oil,dealer always says Harley oil. But Harley doesn't make it's own oil. It's made by an outfit called Sunoco or something like that. Any recommendations on another oil. Thinking of maybe Mobil one 20-50. Also everyone says not to run synthetic oil in the older motors. Is that true? Thanks

14Frisco

I have been running my 93 Sporty with Mobil 1 15-50 for years - I buy it at Autozone when on sale.

andyxlh

I'm not a petrochemical engineer, but why would it not be a good idea to run synthetic in any engine? It seems that the advantages like less breakdown when hot and less friction would be a no brainier. I use syn3 which is a lot easier to get here than mobil1 vtwin, but I'd go with the Mobil product if u can get it. Both are pricey, but I think good oil and regular changes are money well spent. It's one of those things which I don't know a lot about so I go with the expert reports and opinions I have read which seem to universally praise synthetic lubes. I'm happy to spend the extra cash in this area and scrimp elsewhere.....
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Panzer

Before I switched oil brands for my sporty, I checked here (on HTT) the different bike categories like....EVO, Twin Cam, V-Rod's.
About 70% of those bike owners are running Mobile 1, both 20W50 and 15W50 of which I'm running the latter the past four years.
Walmart seems to carry the 15W50 in the winter months only, here on the east coast.
I buy the five quart jugs when available , comes out to be $5.40 a quart.......not pricey at all.

Hope our feeds are of help.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hooda

Thanks for the input. I'm going to run the Mobil 1 20/50.

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

On mobile web site there is a Q&A section asking about running 15-50 in our Harley's, save your self some money an independent lab showed there is so little dif between the two it's a waist of money to use the 20-50. I've had 15-50 in all three boxes sense my 5,000 mile brakin oil came out. I have 86,000 on now. No oil related issues in the engine, none to the tranny no clutch issues.

cyclobutch

I thought one of the major advantages of running synthetic oils was that you could then push out on extended service intervals. I can't bear to do that so I tend to stick with cheaper mineral oil - 20/50.
B
'88 XLH1200

Hooda

Another question on this. Every thing I read says that it's a myth the synthetic oil will cause bearings to skate on older engines like my 1988 sporty. I believe that is probably a myth, even tho the local dealer tells me not to run synthetic oil. But I have heard that people noticed more oil leaks and seepage after switching to synthetic. Has anyone heard of this or had it happen. I like the fact that my bike will run cooler with synthetic but I don't want leaks.

Panzer

Out of the 70% as I've stated above, I've never hear anyone complain about leaks using syn.

Cyclobutch..... :scratch:  "Mineral oil" ??  You're kidding.......right?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

andyxlh

like I said, I'm not an expert at this, but a bit of logic tells me if an oil is slippery enough to make the bearing races skate - they never will because the rollers will have an even lower friction meaning all the turning will happen there.
Plus anyone that has fitted an interference fit bearing will know that the only way that sucker is going to turn a race is if the bearing seizes....
I think that is an old wives tale and doesn't stand up to any real scrutiny.
Re leaks - the same thing. I;m guessing if you go from a 20/50 mineral oil to a 5-30 or similar synthetic then if there is any perforations in the gaskets that are likely to leak more. If the viscosity is the same or similar, what is the logic behind this one?
I can tell u that my engine runs fine and doesn't leak using synthetic oil and it's 25 years old this year......
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

mayor

Quote from: cyclobutch on August 22, 2013, 09:19:34 AM
I thought one of the major advantages of running synthetic oils was that you could then push out on extended service intervals. I can't bear to do that so I tend to stick with cheaper mineral oil - 20/50.
to me the number one reason for using synthetic over conventional oil is the resistance to thermo breakdown (more tolerant to elevated oil temps). 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Panzer

The name mineral oil by itself is imprecise, having been used to label many specific oils over the past few centuries. Other names, similarly imprecise, include white oil, liquid paraffin, and liquid petroleum. Baby oil refers to a perfumed mineral oil.
                                               :scratch: