My first panhead tear down -Bear with me!!!!

Started by panheaddreamer58, September 04, 2013, 06:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panheaddreamer58

Not much time so kinda of a quick question. Cylinders were 4 thousands so guess going to 10 over. Now another dilemma. Original dome style pistons or not. Been told by several to go with flat tops. Better performance and fuel burning? Defiantly not hot rodding motor, just good dependable performance. Thanks guys, Jim  :soda:

panheaddreamer58

Thanks sparks. I have taking my heads to Don at headhog, so they are in his hands. May look at that when I get them back, Jim :soda:

CraigArizona85248

October 06, 2013, 07:48:53 PM #27 Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:51:21 PM by CraigArizona85248
Jim,

You can't use flat top pistons with stock panhead combustion chambers. They are huge and need domed pistons to get the compression ratio up there. I believe that there are some aftermarket pan heads (STD maybe?) that you can order with bathtub combustion chambers that will work with flat top pistons.

-Craig

stroker800

I have used custom chrome cast shovel/pan pistons in the past,,they're imports,,have steel brace inside..All shovels and pans have a domed piston,,just depends on how much for comp...I have  pistons,,HD NOS,,let me look for .10 over..Cast pistons bout 8-1 should do just fine...I'll get back to you in few days...
Dave

48pan

Why can't I see any pictures? Never mind, my employer blocks them

panheaddreamer58

Well Craig you solved that question. Domes it will be. Sure not changing heads.
Stroker, I assume you are talking domed pistons? Nice to have NOS but don't keep my hopes up. Have you had any trouble with the custom chrome domed ones?
Sorry for kinda lull in pics and work on bike but several things going on. Pretty sure I am going do just top end. Measured rod side and up/down play and it is in tolerance Got some pics measuring this and will down load next time. (May regret top end only) Looking for shop that can ream new wrist pin bushings right now. Will kick in this winter since I got to keep out of cold :cry:. Thanks, Jim  :soda:

stroker800

All pan and shovel pistons are doomed,,got to be...If it were me building it,,,use CCI cast pistons,,,Andrews 2 grind cam...Good combo...The bushing look like they rotated in the pics,,,have them pressed out ,,install .002 oversize for tighter fit,,then have honed by a good shop with a sunnen hone,,,they need the new wrist pins when doin...
Dave

panheaddreamer58

Now been looking at piston rings. Original set had the one piece oil ring. I see I can get them or a multi-piece oil ring. Like some input on likes and dislikes of the two. Also the best I can find on original piston ratio is 7.0-1. Closes I can come up with is 7.5-1. Ok?  Thanks, Jim  :soda:

Soft 02

Ive rebuilt a lot of old engines that came with the old 1 piece oil control ring and prefer upgrading to the 3 piece style. I would be curious if there is a reason some would use the 1 piece style.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Reddog74usa

I would go with the 3 piece control ring set up and 8.0 or 8.5 CR original compression. They run way better and the modern 3 piece oil control ring works much better. This is a great thread. Thanks for posting
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Snuff™

Jim,
Just wondering if your going to upgrade to 12V system?
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

panheaddreamer58

No Snuff, not now at least. I know that would be better but--   this bike is pretty well un molested over the years. Trying my best to learn and keep her that way for now. One thing mentioned in here was going with electronic ignition. Might be good but not sure if available for 6 volt????
Jim

Reddog74usa

They have electronic iggys that fit right into the original timer so you won't loose the original look but I don't know what they are. That said I have never had an issue with running points and get em starting with one kick. Both are good ways to go , It's yer call. That is just one beautiful bike and I'm sure it will be even nicer when your done with it.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

CraigArizona85248

I'd keep this one as close to stock as possible too. Check out the E-Beyond 2000 ignition. That's the one that will fit in your timer. I think they make a 6volt version too.

-Craig

panhead_dan

That E beyond ignition works with 6 or 12 volts. It installs with no modifications so you can put the points back in anytime and it still looks stock, in fact it even comes with cloth wire covers for that vintage look. Price has come down some over the years too.

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

tomcat64

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

panheaddreamer58

Sorry guys again for not much going on with my scooter, still liking your'lls input though. Kinda in a lull before I get heads back ( late winter). Now the input I need is on my cylinders. Getting ready to receive piston sets and machine shop is wondering on outside cylinder finish. Original cylinders painted or what? If so what paint. Shop wondering on glass beading?? Again stressing original type of finish, please. Tried to research in Palmer but couldn't find much on cylinder finish. Also went ahead and ordered a new tranny seal. Output seal behind sprocket has always leaked and figured it be a good time to fix. That will be a first for me also, so all input appreciated (need special tool?). Also enjoyed input on electronic ignition. Will definitely be consider that alternative ,but really haven't had much trouble in past with points. Just might help though. Be chatting and maybe some more pics, thanks again""""
Jim  :soda:

Snuff™

Quote from: panheaddreamer58 on December 03, 2013, 04:48:58 PM
...wondering on outside cylinder finish. Original cylinders painted or what? If so what paint. Shop wondering on glass beading?? Again stressing original type of finish, please. Tried to research in Palmer but couldn't find much on cylinder finish...
Jim  :soda:

Check Palmer's page 594, Silver-Painted Parts.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Brrrap

The last time I painted my barrels silver, I used "VHT Flameproof Silver" It's very durable, holds up against petroleum's and the cleaners I use. I'm sure others will chime in on their personal favorites. 
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Hog54

Yeah the VHT flameproof paint works real nice and sprays on nice too.Its been on a year now and still looks new with no chips.

Brrrap

Quote from: Hog54 on December 07, 2013, 05:42:40 PM
Yeah the VHT flameproof paint works real nice and sprays on nice too.Its been on a year now and still looks new with no chips.
Did mine 3 years ago, still looking great!

easyricer

another vote for VHT paint, my exhaust, complete engine and now my sheet metal are all painted with VHT. Tough stuff, easy to paint, lasts for years...
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

panheaddreamer58

Is there a differents in front or back piston? Have new ones in and ready to go to shop. Original had a 'f' on front cylinder. I can't see no differents my self.
Thanks Snuff on silver paint issue in Palmer. Seems like its all in there (Palmer) if you can find it!!