May 08, 2024, 08:35:45 PM

News:

2002 Sporster XL1200SPORT rear shocks

Started by johneb48, December 17, 2012, 10:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johneb48

group,
My neighbor has the above bike and between he and wife riding 2 up, rear shocks bottomed out with springs set on heaviest setting. Both weigh @ 300 lbs total. Any suggestions for better shocks or bigger bike needed for Christmas? They hit a pot hole and shocks stayed in collapsed position. He brought bike home, I put it up on bike lift and shocks rebounded to their normal position. Just wondering if shocks were damaged by being slammed to fully collapsed position and jammed there. You can't see any visual damage.

Thanks

PC_Hater

The shocks will be old and tired by now.
Progressive, Ohlins, etc will be happy to sell him nice new shocks.
If they both fit on the bike comfortably then a bigger bike is not needed.
The 1200S shocks are reckoned to be good for about 20,000 miles, after that they are worn out...
I would believe the shocks were damaged by hitting a pot hole, but if they were old and tired in the first place then it becomes a 'when' rather than an 'if'.
And bear in mind the 1200S is one of the best bikes Harley ever made.

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Panzer

December 17, 2012, 03:03:45 PM #2 Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:09:14 PM by Panzer
I have an 07'C XL and experience the same as you including the same weight, with two up.
A sudden dip in the road, same thing 'jolt' to the passanger.
I've been trying to talk my sweetie into a bigger bike for more comfort. (for her)
She insists that if I trade in my sporty I can get a bigger bike.
I said ......"NO WAY"......I love my Sportster, quick, nimble, all the power I need and comfortable for me.
Let's face it, and I hate to say this, the truth being, a Sportster's is not made for two up. :cry:
That beaks my heart having to say that, but the truth.

You can try other shocks but I think you'll be wasting your $$$.
Just saying, and good luck in your quest.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

paulj

i installed progressive 440s on my 02 xl and am very satisfied riding two up

cyclobutch

Those on my '89 were well shot. I went for Hagons (I'm in the UK), same length as OE. These are great and a good price. I lugged Mrs B and luggage into Belgium for a weekend - maybe a 400 mile round trip. No bottoming out (easy) and good damping. I ran this trip as a trial to a longer Motorrail foray into N.Italy and ride back over the Alps for the two of us that I'm planning for maybe May time. Sadly I also concluded that I'm trying to tour a bar hopper. Looks like it's going to be by ZRX1200R for that trip dammit.

B
'88 XLH1200

Broc Luno

OK, I been at this for a few weeks now. I have 1200 Custom 1997.  Came with 11.5 inch shocks.  Wanted to see if longer would work OK...  Got some take-offs from eBay, probably from XLX and they were 13.375 with moderately light springs.  Great solo and the handling was fine up to the ton mark.  But, not enough spring for two up.  Then went for a set of "S" model shocks (take-offs) with the chrome remote reservoir and adjustable dampening.  Bigger bodies and springs, but still a bit shy on spring rate.

As I have the dampening at 6 clicks from soft on both compression and rebound and control is fine, all I need to do it step on the spring rates to get the ride we both need.  Question - anyone know where to get higher rate springs for the stock Showa's for the S (or R) model Sportsters?  All ideas welcome :)

PC_Hater

Have a look at the Progressive catalogue. They do sell just springs - and there are many of them!
Be careful on the diameters - you could end up with springs that are the right length but can't be fitted to the actual shocks you have.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

hdbikedoc

:wink: the fully adjustable shock can be rebuilt ,take them to a motocross shop and see if they will do them ,good winter project should be about $100 a shock
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked