March 28, 2024, 10:14:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I just couldn't help myself

Started by blacknightrain, October 10, 2013, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacknightrain

the prices on these Buell's has gotten so cheap, I decided to pick one of these up.  Not very comfortable compared to my other bikes, but its kinda fun for short rides.

Maybe I am having a mid-life?  Not sure how I would know :smile:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

blacknightrain

Its a 2009 Buell 1125R 3700 miles.  It has a rotax motor that redlines at 10,500. It is different than my Harley's but still fun.  I have never been a sport bike guy, but the price was to good to pass.

hdxbones

October 11, 2013, 07:01:28 PM #3 Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:07:40 PM by hdxbones
I did the same thing about a year ago. I found a clean Ulysses with low miles that has been an absolute blast. There isnt a gravel road that I wont take anymore. I've spent far more time on it than my Roadglide this year.

sfmichael

A lot of guys say that about the Ulysses...have many say it's the most fun bike they've ever had.

Might have to try one...

Bet that 1125 is a runner also
Colorado Springs, CO.

88b

If you can get past the looks of the 1125's they are a fast bike. I like my Uly butt ache sets in after about an hour, serious fun to ride and it keeps my Road Glide clean in the bad weather

Jamo11

October 15, 2013, 11:15:03 AM #6 Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:10:05 PM by Jamo11
Quote from: blacknightrain on October 11, 2013, 08:14:31 AM
Its a 2009 Buell 1125R 3700 miles.  It has a rotax motor that redlines at 10,500. It is different than my Harley's but still fun.  I have never been a sport bike guy, but the price was to good to pass.

Don't keep me in suspense. How little did you pay? What color is it? Stock exhaust or slip on?

By the way, did anything in particular about the R model appeal to you as opposed to the CR model?
The longest line has the most people in it.

sfmichael

Quote from: Jamo11 on October 15, 2013, 11:15:03 AM
Quote from: blacknightrain on October 11, 2013, 08:14:31 AM

Don't keep me in suspense. How little did you pay? What color is it? Stock exhaust or slip on?

By the way, did anything in particular about the R model appeal to you as opposed to the CR model?

:pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Jamo11

The reason I asked some of those questions is that wwhen I'm at work, I can't see the photos. At homw later on, I saw the photo. But I still ask how expensive/cheap the OP got the 1125R.

I have a very nice one on tap for $5,800. I'm not sure if I don't want a CR though.

blacknightrain

I paid 4700.  It has 3700 miles, aftermarket ECM, pipe and air filter.  Never been laid down, adult ridden.  Came with coat, gloves, helmet.  I also got all the stock parts.

I like the R because of the front fairing.  The radiators on the side are kind of ugly, but a necessity.  I think they look better with a lower fairing kit. 

I thought for all the performance you get the price was good.  Let me know the specifics on the one you are looking at, maybe I can offer some help.

Jamo11

October 16, 2013, 08:15:46 PM #10 Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:07:19 PM by Jamo11
I just told the fellow I wasn't going to take it, because I couldn't decide between the R and the CR model. Everyone I asked, including Adam at EBR, just says "it's a matter of preference" and won't be more committal than that. You're the first person who actually gave a reason, that you like the fairing. For me, I like the quicker gearing and the clubman bars on the CR. SSo I'm like a jackass between two piles of hay that starves to death because he can't make up his mind.

I haven't seen much at the level of $4,700 though. THat's a slamm'n' price. $5,800 is what I'm finding for both R and CR w/less than 4500 miles. Black ones, beat-up ones and 2008s are cheaper. I guess I'm on hold. I would I had read your post before I told the fellow "no." CRs are less common and more trendy and there's a nice one around here for $5,850, which now I'm think'n is high if yours was $4,700. I'll probably have to wait until something else turns up.

Time has passed since the above was posted. In the meantime, I told the fellow I was going to take it after all. So I'm picking up my cherry 2009 Red 1125R tomorrow. A couple of things convinced me.
I talked to a Harley salesman who was a Buell nut. He described the CR gearing as "more abrupt" rather than quicker. That made sense. I remember my '63 Stingray with a 4.56 axle ratio. It was more like driving a gear than a motor. And the CR Tall Man handlebars don't appeal to me. The CLubman handlebars are evidently very uncomfortable.
Also, there is a ton of interesting information here: http://ukbeg.com/downloads/ATautumn-winter10.pdf. The production of '09 and '10 CRs greatly exceeded the R. So the R is a little less common. And the '08s don't count since they were a little different. Overall, the numbers were close.

I think I like the wind protection angle, especially the option of the Double Bubble wind screen which goes great with the Red model. I don't think it works in place of the Blue screen though. I also decided that $4,700 is probably not a realistic price, and $5,700 is more like it.

Jamo11

I got the 1125R. What a great bike! It's much more fun thhan I thought it would be.

I cannot get photos to post, but I'm really happy and excited with this thinhg. Everyone should get one.

sfmichael

Quote from: Jamo11 on October 20, 2013, 12:15:20 PM
I got the 1125R. What a great bike! It's much more fun thhan I thought it would be.

I cannot get photos to post, but I'm really happy and excited with this thinhg. Everyone should get one.

:up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

bericuda

YEAH! EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ONE!!!!! HERE'S MINE. SHE'S PRACTICALLY NEW.......03 XB9R.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

blacknightrain

bericuda

THANKS NIGHTRAIN,
    MOTORCYCLISTS ARE EXEMPT FROM MIDLIFE CRISIS-OR ANY OTHER CONTRIVED BS..........YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW.WE COME IN KICKIN N GO OUT KICKIN! BEEN LEARNING A LOT ABOUT THESE BIKES AND ALSO GETTING INTO XB STUFF IN MY EBAY BIZ. THIS PARTICULAR ONE HAS THE RACE KIT INSTALLED.