May 04, 2024, 04:43:52 PM

News:

Ford Explorer Tranny - Driving Me Crazy

Started by f-x-d-w-g, February 26, 2009, 05:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f-x-d-w-g

Got 'er done today!

To get the overdrive piston out I put it in gear and gave it a little gas.  The transmission started slipping almost immediately and I figured that the plug and blown out causing pressure loss.  The o-ring had a chunk torn out of it.  Replaced the o-ring, lubed it with vaseline, and reinstalled everything.  Working great now.

From the above description it sounds simple but it wasn't.  Imagine laying on your back in the driveway in 30+ degree temperatures, one arm wrapped around a suspension link and the other around the exhaust.  Pushing the piston in against the spring was done with a homemade screw jack made with metal scraps I had in the garage and a nut and bolt.  Couldn't get the snap ring pliers in that space so I worked the ring in as best as I could with my fingers and then pushed it in with a screwdriver that I'd ground a corner out of the blade.  The dealer would have removed the exhaust to give more space but I just hate working on exhausts (car exhaust, at least!)

Anyway, it's done and I saved at least $300 in labor and who knows how much in parts.  Since I'm not working, it gave me something to do.

Thanks to Hawwk who gave me invaluable advice.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

hawwk

FX  Thats great, glad everything worked out for you. :up: :smile:
Cambridge Ontario 
OFOPOS

northbrun

Tollbooth

Oil is cheap compared to what it cost to repair. Put a piece of cardboard under the leak where you park.

f-x-d-w-g

Thanks, Tollbooth but the leak was way more than cardboard could handle.  The thing had been dropping out of overdrive and smoking like something out of Juarez due to all the oil on the exhaust.  AND there's the hassle of checking/adding to the tranny every day...
Dan
Tijeras, NM

motorplex88

Glad to hear ya got it whooped. I know that could'nt have been no fun in the cold, but hey a dollar saved is a dollar earned.

f-x-d-w-g

...and now I've got lots of points with my Sweetie!
Dan
Tijeras, NM

shobby dobby

hey fxdwg it took you a while but i am glad you stuck with it till you got it   thats the way i am   if someone else can do it   so can i it just might take me longer

glad you got it

shobby dobby

f-x-d-w-g

You got it, Shobby.  I'm too hard headed to quit.   :smiled:
Dan
Tijeras, NM