April 27, 2024, 08:58:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

? For the Andrew TW 21 cam junkies

Started by Iron horse, October 29, 2013, 05:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron horse

If I do these cams in my 05 TC 88 deuce. Are they close enough to stock , being a mild cam . To not have to do a ECM flash or to a tuner ? Or will I not get the true performance out them. What did you do ?  I also have a K&N AC and SE pipes . Thanks

TweekmyTwin

I've installed a few for people and most just ride it. It's such a small cam but a big difference from stock. Just try it a see.. worst case, you will have to have it tune..
Jim
Kiss What ?

danoflhrci

Even with a flash you will be to lean, but I'm sure it will run good. I did these cams on a couple touring 88's. One with a flash (ran really good, but a wee bit hot) & one with a TMax auto-tune (ran Great!) You already got the AC & pipes, you'll like it, great cam, run it as is. Down the road you can research a method to feed it a little more fuel. IMHO, I don't think a stage 1 or 2 flash really adds much fuel.

bullsnatch

If you had to choose between the 21's and 26's for a light bike like a dyna which would you choose?

FSG

Barrett

Quote from: bullsnatch on October 29, 2013, 06:02:37 PM
If you had to choose between the 21's and 26's for a light bike like a dyna which would you choose?
I would go SE 204's over either..

Iron horse

FSG.  Why go with the 26's if the 21's will do every thing the 26's will do ?

Iron horse

Bull snatch  I don't consider a dyna a light bike at all , even the sportsters weigh at 540 lbs. and after a week of research on both the 21's and the 26's and a set from Crane . I,m hooked on the TW21's.  For my 05 softail Deuce. 

FSG

The 21's run out of puff earlier than the 26's so in a bike lighter than a bagger, dyna or softie for example then the 26's would be my choice over the 21's.

Iron horse

FSG  So my question to you then , Are you running either cam or done any test rides on bikes with these cams ? As long as they don't puff out before 70 mph I'll be good. 53 and gray !

FSG

A friend had 21's in his Road King which I rode a few times, my 03 Fatty has Gear Drive 26's which keep me hanging on well past the legal speed limit and for some reason I just never get around to pulling them out even though there are TC-2G's and TW37G's on my spares shelf.   :teeth:   60 and gray

Iron horse

FSG  Would you say the 26's get much better gas mileage or if the 21's are harder on the starter? Thanks for the info .

04 SE Deuce

ndmp40

Forget the 21's, not worth it.  The 26's will beat them all over the tach, no reason ever to use a 21.  Been there done that in a bagger, worse in a dyna.

Propflux01

ndmp40: What was so bad about the 21's? I have been debating using this cam in my '06 bagger for quite some time, and across several forums and google searches I have heard nothing but good about the 21's. What is your results?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

runamuck

back when I had an 03 ultra I put the G26 because it had more lift and because the 21 looked like it was aimed a little lower on the rpm range. joe minton was always pushing the 21 but I was happy with the g26. put many 2 up cruising miles on that bike.

Eleft36

Quote from: FSG on October 29, 2013, 08:05:37 PM
A friend had 21's in his Road King which I rode a few times, my 03 Fatty has Gear Drive 26's which keep me hanging on well past the legal speed limit and for some reason I just never get around to pulling them out even though there are TC-2G's and TW37G's on my spares shelf.   :teeth:   60 and gray

:up:
103" SE BB Andrews 26H's 2010 110" mufflers
Ride every chance I get, above 36*f

ndmp40

October 30, 2013, 06:58:20 AM #17 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:02:33 AM by ndmp40
Quote from: Propflux01 on October 30, 2013, 05:05:56 AM
ndmp40: What was so bad about the 21's? I have been debating using this cam in my '06 bagger for quite some time, and across several forums and google searches I have heard nothing but good about the 21's. What is your results?

I didnt say they were bad.  I said they were not worth it.  Just not the right cam when the 26's will do everything the 21's do but better.  And for later models, the CR575 is better than the 26's.

I just wouldnt put money into a 21 when the 26 is the same money and performs better, even in a bagger.

If you are enamored of the 21, get a 48 instead.  Again, a much better choice even for a heavy, smaller cube bike.

Hillside Motorcycle

As Neil pointed out those 26's sure do run well, and not for nothing, if you get bit by the bug to do more, say 95-98", set the 26's at 9.6-9.7 cr, with some mild headwork and it'll run VERY, VERY well. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Iron horse

October 30, 2013, 03:36:37 PM #19 Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:01:41 PM by Iron horse
  I don't get this if it's a heavy bike or light bike thing . The TC 88's all weight in at about 200 lbs difference from a dyna to a E G. They have the same drivetrains,bore an stroke, displacement,and compression ratio. The things I think should make the difference between the 21's or the 26's as a choice. Is if the bike is a B motor or an A motor , Is it EFI or carbed, not the E Glide and S Gilide get the 21's and the light bikes get the 26's. What I read about the two was what ever TC 88 you put these cams in the 21 cam shines a little more. BUT yes if your going to build your bike out to a 96 then go with the 26 cam. I do not want to go bigger then the stock 88 . I just want to wake up the bike because . I also have a 1200 sportster and the 1450 B motor Duece is a dog .

runamuck

I have a wide glide and an ultra. without getting out the book for each, I'm guessing that there is a couple hundred pounds of difference between the two..my riding style is different for each bike so I can live with the notion that they would each need a different cam...just sayin

Iron horse

Yes your right about the Ultra for sure it's more like 200 lbs more and you can load up with even more weight for sure.

wolf_59

I went with S&S 551 cams in my 06 Ultra after I went with the 95" 9.6 cr big bore stock heads shaved .020, Originally planned on running the 21's but after looking at some dyno runs they really looked like they started dropping tq. after 3000 rpm so I went with the 37's for a year but didn't have the power where I ride the majority of the time was only getting about 38 mpg on the highway changed them out for the 551's and totally happy with the performance from 1250-4500 rpm in 5th gear, first through third easily bang the limiter, fourth takes a little longer to get there. Now highway mpg runs 46-48
Wish I had known about the 551's before I did the big bore probably would have stayed 88" longer
Definitely should put getting a tune at the top of the list no matter which way you go.

Admiral Akbar

bullsnatch

Wolf 59 I think you might have something there.

boooby1744

Quote from: Iron horse on October 29, 2013, 07:15:50 PM
Bull snatch  I don't consider a dyna a light bike at all , even the sportsters weigh at 540 lbs. and after a week of research on both the 21's and the 26's and a set from Crane . I,m hooked on the TW21's.  For my 05 softail Deuce.
.    Crane 300-2?

Karl H.

November 03, 2013, 12:21:48 AM #26 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:26:23 AM by Karl H.
I've been riding the 21 for several years in my TC88 Dyna 2003. An advantage over stock can be felt from low idle (very sound and stable) up to below 2000 rpm (increased torque). At 2000 and above I feel no difference. Due to the early intake close the cam is harder on the starter. Based on my experience and the fact that I don't want to give full throttle below 2000 I don't recommend this cam.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15