Installed MDG in 6 speed. .how to know if it's all the way in?

Started by mattVA, November 21, 2013, 05:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattVA

Slow moving here as this is my first time working on this area of the bike. 2009 FXDF.

Using the George's Garage tools, I seated a new MDG bearing in the transmission against the internal lip (which didn't seem to have much resistance. .? Could almost do that by hand? Does that sound right? Seems like the giant retaining ring is what holds it in place). Then proceeded to install the MDG into the bearing using the tools. I tightened down the tool as much as I can to the point that if I were to try any harder I'd feel like I was breaking something. Out of curiosity I mic'ed the external splines of the MDG protruding out of the MDG bearing inner race and got about 0.622". Not knowing how much should be exposed, I checked the internal splines on the pulley that mate with the MDG, and got about 0.699". The manual has no spec for this. Has anyone checked these measurements before?

Thanks,
Matt
2009 FXDF

Billy

Did you install the MDGB retaining ring with the bevel facing you? If yes. you're good to go. The bearing to bore is a tight clearance fit in my experience, you shouldn't have had much resistance installing it with the proper tool. MDG sounds like it's seated as well.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

mattVA

Quote from: Billy on November 21, 2013, 05:21:39 AM
Did you install the MDGB retaining ring with the bevel facing you? If yes. you're good to go. The bearing to bore is a tight clearance fit in my experience, you shouldn't have had much resistance installing it with the proper tool. MDG sounds like it's seated as well.

I'm waiting to install that retaining ring until I get confirmation everything else is good. SM also says to install that ring in a 90 degree opening to the right side. .not sure what that's for but I'll be sure to do it.

That bearing once I got it going with the tool seemed like it had almost no resistance going in. .to the point that when I was messing with getting the MDG in if I wasn't careful it'd want to pop out a little and I'd have to push it back in against the lip with my fingers. The old bearing came out just as easy once the MDG was removed, had me scratching my head as to why I needed the tool.

2009 FXDF

Billy

The tight clearance fit makes it difficult to get the bearing started straight in the bore, the tool makes it very easy. Yes the 90 degree is for lube to pass.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

mattVA

Quote from: Billy on November 21, 2013, 05:35:57 AM
The tight clearance fit makes it difficult to get the bearing started straight in the bore, the tool makes it very easy. Yes the 90 degree is for lube to pass.

Thanks Billy for confirming that.

I decided to get clever. I took one of the pictures of the MDG before removal, and using an image editing program GIMP, measured the pixel distance of the threads for the clutch nut of the MDG. Then I measured the pixel distance of the exposed splines for the pulley. Went out and mic'ed the threads to know their actual distance in inches. Took the ratio of the pixels in the program for the threads to the splines, multiplied by the known distance in inches for the threads and . .got about 0.65" for the splines. Looks like I'm good to go.
2009 FXDF