May 02, 2024, 03:34:34 PM

News:

The switch to digital TV

Started by truck, February 27, 2009, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRock

Barry......Coyote and Richard Till are both right on.   The TV transmitting frequencies will remain the same.   Therefore the old TV antennas will work providing the signal strength is adequate for Digital reception.   If in the past your signal was on the weaker side of acceptable or marginal, then you must do something to receive a stronger signal.   That's done by using a larger or longer antenna with more directional elements, raising the height or the receiving antenna, replacing transmission lines from the antenna to the TV, and/or booster apmlifier.   I would first try a new higher gain antenna.  Check out Channel Master.  They have been making TV antennas for over 50 years.   With the new antenna get some quality cable for connections and I'll bet you will be good to go.   I speak from experience in maintaining police 2-way radio systems with many mountain top antenna systems and rf transmission facilities.   As a side note, I am still using my Channel Master rooftop antenna that I installed on my house back in 1965, yep '65, and belden shielded cable.   Good Luck!

the Grump

I just found this, it looks easy enough. Cheap, anyway!
http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

Garry in AZ

I work with this stuff all the time. Hotrocks post is dead on. Follow his directions, and you'll get reception.
Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

truck

OK. Here is what's been happening with chennels 3,6,10.
Channel 3 has a good signal all the time.
Channels 6 & 10 have a good signal during daylight hours but after dark the signal strength drops to nothing.
I talked to a techie guy at channel 6 and he couldn't explain the  day/night thing, and he said they were transmitting full power digital 24/7 and the power won't change after the transition to digital only, in June.
He went on to say that digital TV isn't working as good the government hoped it would and that channel 6 was probably going to try to change to a lower frequency which would help signal strength.

I going to go with Hotrocks suggestions and get it done with.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

truck

:crook: I switched to an 11' long Winegard antenna which has a higher gain than a Channel Master of similar size.
It is mounted about 3' lower than my old 6' long antenna.
Old antenna works better than the new one. :dgust:
Guess I'll try a pre amp and see how much more money I can waste.
It wasn't broken but the gubbermint is making me fix it. :angry:
Right now, up till June xxx I can chose between analog or digital, after June xxx, I'm screwed.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.