Active Exhaust Control disabeling through TTS tuning

Started by NielsFXSB, February 09, 2014, 02:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NielsFXSB

I have a 2014 FXSB Breakout with a screaming eagle heavy breather-kit on it and thus used TTS' DHA358-01 tune-file.
I live in Europe and thus have the "Active Exhaust Control"-valve on my bike that shuts my rear muffler at certain points. I hate that and want to have it open at all times. So I've "disabled" the Active Exhaust Valve when I updated my ECM via TTS MasterTune (as an option during the tune). But the valve remains closed. Do I need to enter something in the tune to have it open all the time? Or do I need to physically force the valve to remain open and the tune only prevents the error-code?

Edit: I just looked into the software of the tune and found these extra options under the "Table selection" menu:

Active exhaust Control 1st gear
Active exhaust Control 2nd gear
Active exhaust Control 3rd gear
Active exhaust Control 4th - 6th gear

I'm guessing these values are where the valve should be opened or closed. Based on what I see here, I'm guessing 100 is fully closed and 0 is fully open. So to have the AIC-valve open at all times, I guess I need to change all values from anything to 0? Here's an example of what I did (I selected the "Active Exhaust Control 2nd gear" under the "Table selection" menu for tile DHA358-01 which is for a 2012-2014 softail with an open air filter):

So I update the ECM with this altered version of the DHA358-01 tune-file in which these AEC values are all set to "0" and choose enable for the Active Exhaust Control? I think "enable", since the ECM otherwise disregards these values, right?

PoorUB

What happens if you set all the cells to 100 instead of 0?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Karl H.

February 09, 2014, 10:20:02 PM #2 Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:19:40 PM by Karl H.
"0" means "closed", anything above and up to "100" means "open"! The active exhaust valve is eather fully closed or fully open, no matter what the values exactly are. When you enable "active exhaust control" the ECU starts listening to your tables. When you disable "active exhaust control" the valve remains in its current position (may be closed when engine is off during flashing process). The tables only apply when tranny is in gear (there is no table for neutral). In neutral the flap is open as long as the engine is idling. As soon as you rev up (in neutral!) the valve closes. That's acceptable for normal usage of the bike and good if you step into a police control.  :smiled:

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

NielsFXSB

Quote from: Karl H. on February 09, 2014, 10:20:02 PM
When you disable "active exhaust control" the valve remains in its current position (may be closed when engine is off during flashing process).

Everything you said is true Karl. Just before you commented I went to tune my bike with all 0's and the valve remained closed. So I changed them all to 100's and now he remains open. But indeed, when in Idle it's open, but when you rev up it closes immediately. I fully agree with you, that this is a great aspect when you ride into a police trap. But I have a Kess-Tech exhaust, which has it's own valve system. So it would be better for me if the Active Exhaust Valve will remain open. You said it will remain in the position it is in when you flash it and choose disable. But how do you get it to remain open. I've heard that you need to turn of the bike with the ignition switch instead of the run-switch. But it keeps going back to closed  :scratch: Any thoughts?

Karl H.

February 10, 2014, 12:41:14 AM #4 Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:21:51 AM by Karl H.
Pull the plug off the valve actuator when the valve is open (idle). The valve will keep its position. Then reflash (disable active exhaust) and clear codes. Push the plug back in. The valve will remain open.

Karl

NielsFXSB

Quote from: Karl H. on February 10, 2014, 12:41:14 AM
Pull the plug off the valve actuator when the valve is open (idle).

I've looked at it when I got home, but it seems that there is a pneumatic connection as the only fixation on the valve (no electronic plug). So I guess I also can't pull the main fuse when it's running idle to keep the valve in the open position? Because I need to put the plug back in when I want to flash the ECM, which will probably put the valve back in the closed position as soon as it gets electricity again. Or is there a fuse that controls the active exhaust valve?

Karl H.

February 10, 2014, 12:48:31 PM #6 Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:28:21 AM by Karl H.
There is an electrical actuator (3 in left pic) that drives the flap lever with a bowden cable. You have to follow the cable to find the actuator. Then find the plug (5 in right pic). And forget about fuses on a CAN bike. They don't exist! :wink:

Karl