May 01, 2024, 06:50:41 AM

News:

XLCR question

Started by calif phil, September 26, 2013, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calif phil

Did the XLCR's have tubes even though they have mag wheels?  I know some of the jap bikes from that era had tubes with mag wheels from the factory.  My XLCR tires are losing air and I got to thinking who ever put the new tires on before I bought it might not have known it needs tubes.   I have not had a chance to look and see where the air is going yet.  If they came from the factory with tubes I will go that way. 

Maddog

I do think they had tubes in them,,,  Morris Mag wheels,, I have a set on my sporty an i run them with tubes,, never had any problems,

Wicked

Cant answer for sure Phil but...late '70's Lowrider cast wheels had not much of a "bead lock" on the rims....just a little hump. They needed tubes but I ran them without in a pinch...

kik

Phil are they the 7 spoke or 9 spoke mags? The 7 spoke were really porous and I'm not quite sure the stem hole is quite small enough for the tubeless stem, The 9 spoke on the other hand can handle both tubed and tubeless tires without a problem. Hope this helps.

calif phil

Mine has the 7spoke Morris rims

kik

Quote from: calif phil on September 28, 2013, 08:38:01 AM
Mine has the 7spoke Morris rims

If you want to try tubeless I would probably seal the inside of the rim with a good coating to make it less porous. 

calif phil

I think in the next week or two I will pull them off and see exactly where the leak is coming from.   Thanks for the help and I will post my findings. 

hdbikedoc

they came with tube's have converted many to tubeless ,the wheels work fine tubeless its just that the factory would have had to get them tubeless certified and they didn't want to pay for this so they just installed tubes
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

calif phil

I had a chance to check my wheels out and both have tubes.   I think I will just install new tubes and see how it works.  I don't ride this bike much but I wan't the tires to hold air. 

tmwmoose

it was around 82 - 84 that Harley officially started tubless

dirty jim

1982 WAS TUBELESS. FRONT TIRE OF MY XLX WOULD LOSE AIR DUE TO WHEEL POROSITY. TRIED SEALENTS, FIRST KIND DIDN'T WORK, SECOND DID. THIRTY YEARS AGO AND I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT I USED.