March 28, 2024, 11:33:05 AM

News:

Ironhead newbie

Started by rafterpkill, February 17, 2014, 07:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rafterpkill

Newbie alert.  Just picked up my first bike.  It's a 65 Ironhead that I bought from a good friend.  His uncle chopped it.  He's no longer in touch with his uncle, so I'm not sure what all has been done to it.  By reading, I have been able to determing that it is a 883 because of the year (right?).  Crankcase numbers are 65xlch4117.  It has a later model carb that needs rebuilt anyway.  I am fairly certain that it's a butterfly.  I want to replace it.  Since I don't know what performance mods have been done on the bike would a CV still be a viable option or do I need something with more adjustment range?  A friend recommended a S&S Super E, but I don't really like the price tag.

nibroc

CV will work just fine--so will the s&s super e. I run a SU I took off an old trimuph TR6 and the other sporty has a S&S GAL on it. just about anything will work on those old ironheads :chop:

chopper

just about anything will work on those old ironheads

Yup. CV's are getting pricey lately. Bendix/Zenith works fine.
I ran a 36mm Mikuni roundslide for years. Damn simple carb! Bullet proof. (cheap, too)
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

panic

Before you spend any money, make sure it's legal.
The early cases (1957-66) have no "bulge" for the starter drive and solenoid, so if it's not smooth on top of the clutch it's a fake.

garyajaz

hey rafter.  welcome.
post some pix.
yeah, these ol ironheads have been carbed with everything.
even dual webers off cars.
try rebuilding yours prior to buying.

does it run? best to start with basics. points, timing, compression, all fluids.
new batt. go to gym to get that leg pumped up.
keep us up on whats happening

saltcaveminer

welcome to ironhead central.Ask anything you need, it can be answered here.PS new legs can be bought on ebay.Salty

Hobeau

Them repop legz aint worth a "Potty mouth"

Dixond78

Need some help just got my first Harley it a 1980 ironhead but have had some issues with it but have worked most of them out until the other day. I was driving down the road when all the sudden the motorcycle stop I coasted to a stop.I hit my starter button and nothing happened.after getting it home and doing some testing on it I found that I had power to my starter button if the harness in the headlight was unhooked when it was hooked up I had no power to my starter button.would this be the starter relay or if anybody has any input it would be a big help thank you.