May 04, 2024, 12:06:13 AM

News:

Head Work

Started by Poppy, November 07, 2008, 12:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppy

I have my build planned except for where to get the head flowed.

09 Road Glide
103 in
54H cam
SE Flat tops
SERT
2 into 1 Thunderheader.

Where to get the heads done is the question?

Thanks for your help.  
Poppy...Ride it like ya stole it!

Valley

WFO Larry Motorcycle & machine shop 708-598-3050
And a good tune!!

GoFast.....

Quote from: Poppy on November 07, 2008, 12:42:08 PM
I have my build planned except for where to get the head flowed.

09 Road Glide
103 in
54H cam
SE Flat tops
SERT
2 into 1 Thunderheader.

Where to get the heads done is the question?

This post needs to be moved to the twin cams section not the dyno section

Thanks for your help.  
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

maineultraclassic

Everyone is going to have an opinion on who to go with.

Here is a list to check out - http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=15.0

I'll throw my opinion out there...............www.bigboyzheadporting.com

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

skyhook

I would recommend the guy who ported the heads on my wife's '07 dyna...we opted for the "blueprint plus" style of porting with stock valves...it's what most folks call street porting...they turned out really well...he only charged me $400...it is a 96" motor with 9.8 compression, fatcat exhaust, andrews 37 cams, power commander, big sucker air cleaner...with a basic tune at a rally, it pulled 94hp/97tq sae on a dj250i on pump gas...send me an e-mail if you're interested
always seem to get their azz wet?

Faast Ed

November 07, 2008, 03:14:40 PM #5 Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:18:19 PM by Faast Ed

WFO Larry Motorcycle & machine shop 708-598-3050
And a good tune!!

I have almost an identical build to what you are building.
Larry did my heads and I could not be happier.

08 Heritage
103 in
54H cam
SE Flat tops
SERT
2 into 1 Fatcat.

Just do it!
≡Faast Ed>

Ohio Phil

FAAST
What is your HP and TQ ?
C-YA Ohio Phil

Faast Ed

November 08, 2008, 06:36:35 AM #7 Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:40:49 AM by Faast Ed

FAAST
What is your HP and TQ ?

DJ250i
≡Faast Ed>

marc

Branch Flowmetrics...Jerry Branch is probably the most respected H-D head designer...I have several friends with Branch Heads...You can send them your current heads on a trade in or call them and discuss your own specs...My friends went with trade in...Was about $800.00 I think...Good Luck...

http://home.ama-cycle.org/forms/museum/biopage1.asp?id=378

FXDBI

http://www.head-quarters.com/ awesome head work and awesome kits. Follow there recipe with there kits and you will get a hard running dependable bike. Looking at there 120ST myself.........Bob

marc

bob2002

I switched from the GMR heads in my 107 kit to to  Baisley Super Stock Heads,9.45 CR  what a difference.
2012 Ultra Limited,Cobra Power Port Header,SE Mufflers,Wood 222 Cams,TTS

KingofCubes

www.rrcycles.com is where I get mine done, besides cnc porting the stock heads, they make their own and work on over 2,000 bikes there a year so they have the empirical knowledge and fixes for about anything.

ejk_dyna

there are many good head porters.  lot's of bad one's too.

most named here are good.

your cam selection should be made after your selection of head porter.  the head porter and headwork you choose should be based on your driving style

Ohio Phil

C-YA Ohio Phil

Ratfade

Anyone have any work done by Big Boyz? I've been considering using them this winter.

Cavesdiving

IMO The best overall Builder is Cycle Rama http://www.cycle-rama.com in St. Petersburg FL
You don't get to be #1 without reason!
Keep the Shiny side up and the Dirty side down

KingofCubes

This is a stage 4 weld and cnc port by R&R that I did on my 01 dyna shop bike with JE 98" pistons, Road Rage 2:1's, and the new R&R manufactured Big Air Carb. Very quick revving.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

NETacomaFatboy

^   +1

Dewey's (aka Don)

sage1

this was the one of the hard desisions for me  I found that most of the forums had a favorite porter and the others get badmouthed sometimes. I called everyone then picked who I wanted

03deuce

Ratfade,
Look at reply #3.

djl

November 10, 2008, 02:21:03 PM #22 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:24:41 PM by djl
Have BigBoyz and Dewey's (AKA Don).  BigBoyz thing is the "Cheap Thrill" street porting; good value for the service.  Second go, I called Don and have a set of Dewey's Pro Street ported heads on a 107" Axtell build.  Still breaking in, so no dyno yet but it is strong.  One of the benefits of working with Don (others might assist in the same way, don't know) is the level of technical support he is willing to provide via email or telephone.  You might not need that but there is a level of comfort knowing that Don is a resource that you an fall back on if you aren't sure about something from shimming rockers to DTT settings to carb jetting, to exhaust, etc.   :wink:

Ratfade

Faast Ed

I called everyone then picked who I wanted

Good advice.  Make yourself a list of questions, then call several porters.

I can't help but put in a plug for the forum member that helped me with my build and did my heads. He will talk to you on the phone or email (as many of the others also will do) and I believe you will be comfortable after he answers all of your questions. Good prices and not reluctant to spend a lot of phone time with you. He also has a flow machine (two I think) and will give you precise flow numbers at all the different lifts. www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com  PH: 708-598-3050 He's been porting for a very many years (good question to ask all the porters).

call him, call the others   -   THEN decide 
Personally, I'll be going back to him for my next build. No need for me to try anyone else, I liked his work and prices too.
≡Faast Ed>

aquaman

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

sacbluescat

Deweys Heads, on my 95" with stock headpipe and stock throttle body  netted 113 torque and 108 Horsepower. I posted my dynos on the old forum.  The only other heads makin them numbers on a 95 incher, I think is the WildThings package, and your talkin double the money I spent on my build, sacbluescat

KingofCubes

Are you sure about that?
:pop:

sacbluescat

King , I could be mistaken, but I don't see any builds in the Dyno forum  with  anyone elses heads makin these numbers on a 95" bagger

mayor

November 11, 2008, 12:52:18 PM #29 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:59:19 PM by wannabmayor
Quote from: sacbluescat on November 11, 2008, 10:17:22 AM
King , I could be mistaken, but I don't see any builds in the Dyno forum  with  anyone elses heads makin these numbers on a 95" bagger

Sac, If I remember correctly wasn't your numbers in std format?  Do you have the results in SAE?  By the way, Nightrider has quite a few 95" bike's listed with John Sach's heads that were up there as well.  Plus Baisley, CycleRama, SE, Bill Bishop, BC Gerolomy, Edelbrook, etc....
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hplist_twin_cam.htm
Valley Racing posted a dyno on our "in between" site that exceeded 150/150 SAE out of a 95" with WFOLarry heads (it had a little shot of happy).  I believe that bike was a bagger too.   :teeth:  I also remember seeing some 95" builds from Hillside that was in that territory.  There's plenty of good porters that can deliver big numbers if the engine is set up to match the components.  Putting up big numbers at the top of the chart is one thing, but I've only seen one 95" hit 100ft-lb of torque at 2,500 and that was ported by RPH.  It's all in where you want your power. 

warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Faast Ed

≡Faast Ed>

Don D

Fast rev times and a lot of torque under the curve is what makes guys happy. Many head porters can hand a product to a customer that has the potential to obtain that, MANY. Problem comes when the customer doesn't follow the recipe suggested by the head porter, tuner, or builder. On the late models I can't overemphasize this enough, when it comes to pipes and when the big numbers and torque under the curve are both desired the TB often times needs to be changed too. SAE, STD big deal, just derate by doing the math. Shape of the curve and how much total torque in the riding envelope, priceless.

hotbo

deweys heads.

and im a pretty big fan of scott at
HILLSIDE cycle in upstate new york. :up:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

mayor

Quote from: Deweysheads on November 11, 2008, 01:28:57 PM
Fast rev times and a lot of torque under the curve is what makes guys happy. Many head porters can hand a product to a customer that has the potential to obtain that, MANY. Problem comes when the customer doesn't follow the recipe suggested by the head porter, tuner, or builder. On the late models I can't overemphasize this enough, when it comes to pipes and when the big numbers and torque under the curve are both desired the TB often times needs to be changed too. SAE, STD big deal, just derate by doing the math. Shape of the curve and how much total torque in the riding envelope, priceless.

you know I agree Don.  I was just bustin on your boy  :teeth:. I only made reference to the STD v SAE so that Ed doesn't get out his ruler again.   :smilep:

Faast Ed

November 11, 2008, 02:15:05 PM #34 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:17:24 PM by Faast Ed
QuoteI only made reference to the STD v SAE so that Ed doesn't get out his ruler again.   

LMAO!!!    Now how in the heck did you know that I was listenin'? Bwahahahaa!

I actually agree with Don here, but (always a but) but but but when a guy throws huge numbers out there, he ought to state if the ruler was metric or english so's we can put it in proper perspective, (derate by doing the math).

≡Faast Ed>

mayor

wfolarry

It's that 'only' word that gets you in trouble. The 'only' ones I seen were in the 'only' place I looked! :teeth:

Reddog74usa

November 11, 2008, 03:53:12 PM #37 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:21:04 PM by Reddog74usa
One thing to consider when choosing a head porter is where you want the power band. Low end mid or mid high end as each porter is ussually known for getting results in a certain power band. I have seen a lot of nice results from Hillside for power where you use it the most and John Sachs is also a very good choice for power where you want it.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Clintster

Don't forget T-Man Performance.  My choice would be determined by budget.  High end stuff I would go either order Baisley, Sachs or T-Man. I went T-man partly because I wasn't aware of the TC programs for the street by Sachs and Baisley. For budget builds I would go Larry or Dewey's. I would be calling and talking to folks.  When I was doing mine, several were disqualified by lack of response or availability.
Drive fast, take chances

mayor

Quote from: Clintster on November 11, 2008, 07:02:55 PM
Don't forget T-Man Performance.  My choice would be determined by budget.  High end stuff I would go either order Baisley, Sachs or T-Man. I went T-man partly because I wasn't aware of the TC programs for the street by Sachs and Baisley. For budget builds I would go Larry or Dewey's. I would be calling and talking to folks.  When I was doing mine, several were disqualified by lack of response or availability.

..be carefull calling anything from Larry or Don budget.   :wink: I wouldn't want anyone to think these guys can't get it done.  "Affordable performance" is probably closer to being accurate.  To me budget is BigBoyz and AMS streetports. 

Faast Ed

Well said, Gov!

Budget = Bigboyz

Larry and Don have more going for them than "Budget".  A lot more.
I've read people who yanked their Bigboyz heads off when they got more serious about their builds.
I haven't heard of anyone doing that with Larry or Dewey Heads.
≡Faast Ed>

mayor

Clintster

November 12, 2008, 03:38:28 PM #42 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:48:24 PM by Clintster
I did not mean any disrespect, that is to be sure.  Those fellas produce numbers and are affordable, they do offer a basic street port, don't they.   It seems to me most porters offer the basic street port. Those guys get good numbers and contribute quite a bit of information to this board.  Larry and Don, would be my choice before either AMS or Big Boyz, was my point.  
Drive fast, take chances