May 02, 2024, 07:15:14 PM

News:

1340 evo upgrades/ top end

Started by 99fxsts, November 07, 2008, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

99fxsts

Hi new to the forum. Looking for info on heads/cam/pistons for my 99 fxsts. The motor has almost 100k on it. I have never had any problems. I know it  is due for a top end and I was thinking of upping the power. What power levels are reliable? Should I worry about the lower end? I was thinking overbore only as needed, good flowing heads and a good cam. The motor in stock. Any info or comment are apprieciated. John   

stroker800

Head flow will unleash power, I would talk to the guys at Headquarters,, they will flow your stock heads better than HD SE stuff and have a cam custom ground to your style of riding. I would only bore what is needed, a valve job and maybe some roller rockers too. You can make 80 hp otta an EVO and not effect reliability at all and lets face it,,,how many people do use the BIG hp numbers...It sounds impressve on the bar stool,,,big cubes don't mean big balls..Check out the bottom end first,,,no sense in invest into top if theres no bottom.
Dave

lionsm13

I plan on sendin' mine to Bean, He's been doin' this for a bit I'm thinkin'. how bout you Larry?

Trip

I can make 80 hp without even touching the heads...

Buddy WMC

I installed an 85" kit from Revolution Performance with a set of SE heads ported by Larry on my 1993 FXLR. Revolution supplied the CP pistons/ rings to set the compression ratio at 10.5 to 1 with the 72cc SE heads. I also installed a single fire Dyna 2000 ignition, SE adjustable pushrods, SE chrome lifter blocks, V-Thunder lifters and a V-Thunder EVL-5015NG cam recommended by both Larry and V-Thunder. The bike already was equipped with an S&S carb and Samson F-109 staggered duals.

I also had Larry replace the stock SE valve springs with B-Hives from V-Thunder and install Viton valve seals as well. I had the biked Dynoed a little longer than a week ago, 96.8HP and 95.3 ft lbs of torque and she is a rocket ship. I could easily gain more power down low by changing the exhaust system to a Thunderheader (I don't like the look), or possibly with a cam change to something with a little less duration. Other than clearancing the right side case for the cam lobe clearance, this was a bolt together project. I am very pleased with the results, the bike is a blast to ride and is reliable.

At the present time I'm going leave well enough alone and to run her as she is. I was very pleased with Larry's work and communication. I have referred some members to him for head and cylinder work and they have been pleased as well. This is not to say that there are not other members out there that know what they are doing. When my heads need freshening, you can bet they will go back to Larry in a heartbeat :teeth:.

wfolarry

Quote from: lionsm13 on November 07, 2008, 04:19:05 PM
I plan on sendin' mine to Bean, He's been doin' this for a bit I'm thinkin'. how bout you Larry?

I rebuilt my 1st Harley motor when I was 19. A '62 Panhead. He still has the bike & I'm 52 & still building motors.

Hillside Motorcycle

We have witnessed fantastic results with something as simple as a good valve job, head re-surface, and a Wood 6 or Andrews 27 cams.
Smooth power, with increased fuel economy.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Trip

Wfolarry....what state dost thou reside???

99fxsts

Are there any shops around Atlanta that are recomended?

Trip

Tattoo

you should get yours done Trip.. :up:
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

nubs77

Trip,

80hp with out touching the heads,you must share.

Nubs
F**K IT

Reddog74usa

That set up Hillside sugested is the best bang for the buck and well proven combination I have come across.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Flat Dog

How 'bout nitrous? I'm getting really bored with my twinkie, and miss two wheeled suicidal shovel/evo tendencies...

96dynabagger

How'd you get that far???

27K and I had about 1/16" slop in the valve guides.

Did headwork while it was off and love it!   :up:

99fxsts

I'm thinking basic head port from one of the shops listed on the forum, SE high comp. cast pistons, and either an Andrews 27 or woods cam. What about SE cams are they any good?

Don D

I give a bingo to Hillside
I have just done good valve work fixed the squish and milled the heads to get the compression right with amazing results. Either an EV27 or Woods 6. Thunderheader makes a good pipe.

baldoldfxr

You could look at four valve heads the rivera ones are very good ,with a low lift longish duration cam you get loads of torque from tickover  & up ,they do need carefull setting up but once properly fitted the results are excellent.

Flat Dog

Is that the set on Ebay right now for $10,000?  :crook:

baldoldfxr

Photo John - I guess you're joking about that.

Flat Dog

Kind of, but there was a one off set of 4 valve per cylinder evo heads on Ebay, with a buy it now of $10k.

baldoldfxr

10 k bet they were swamped with offers , Out of interest what do the Rivera 4valve heads go for in the states?, there is a set in germany at the moment  for about £ 1200 (dont know what that is in $).

4DogsanaHog

I can make 80 hp without even touching the heads...

Trip, I am curious, how would you do that?
You can't get rid of a bad temper by losing it!

Flat Dog

ultraclassicdave97

I have 75 HP and 80 Ft LBS with no head work, EV27 cam, Air cleaner, and stock headpipes with se slip ons.
It's EFI with a power commander. I can see 80 HP with the right Exhaust, Better ignition, and tweeking the tune just right.

Dave

Hillside Motorcycle

Just about 80 hp and 90 ft/lbs over a very broad band, with either an EV-27, EV-3, or Wood 6. (Saw 85/94 once, with 42 Mik, T/header, Crane ignition, our heads, E pipe, Wood 6.)
Client still has it, just changed his lifters out last summer.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"