April 27, 2024, 12:01:11 PM

News:

127000 miles on inner cam bearings

Started by crackerjack, December 20, 2015, 05:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerjack

i have a 2000 wideglide with 127000 miles on it. the inner cam bearings have never been changed. i got the cam chest open to change the cam tensioner shoes out for the second time. did not know about checking the shoes til i had 76000 miles on the  the original shoes . the o/s shoe had a little wear but i/s shoe was about gone. now at present to change shoes again at 127000 miles. my question is should i change the inner cam bearings which is the ina bearings 148 or consider them fine. by looking and feeling of them i see no problem .  i would need to buy the tool to  change them out. thanks for any help

eglideic

It's always better to replace a bearing, than to later "wish you had changed it". I think Auto Zone has blind bearing pullers and bearing drivers in their loaner tools. Or I'm sure Georges Garage has them for rent. Also be sure to use the bearings Georges is selling.

04 SE Deuce

127K on the original inner cam bearings,  I think you got your $ worth.  You'd be crazy not to change them. 

I went 80k on the original inner bearings and tensioners on my Deuce...that's pushing it.  -Rick

strokerjlk

Quote from: crackerjack on December 20, 2015, 05:35:07 PM
i have a 2000 wideglide with 127000 miles on it. the inner cam bearings have never been changed. i got the cam chest open to change the cam tensioner shoes out for the second time. did not know about checking the shoes til i had 76000 miles on the  the original shoes . the o/s shoe had a little wear but i/s shoe was about gone. now at present to change shoes again at 127000 miles. my question is should i change the inner cam bearings which is the ina bearings 148 or consider them fine. by looking and feeling of them i see no problem .  i would need to buy the tool to  change them out. thanks for any help
I would replace them with   Koyo Torrington  B-148 bearings
Harbor freight sells a good blind hole puller that works great. use your old bearing to tap the new bearings in. no need for fancy pullers and installing tools.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

crackerjack

thanks for the input am convinced i plan to change the inner bearings. i was thinking if it was not broke why change it. and sometimes i create more problems than i start with. i realize that if they did go bad i would have a lot more trouble. this way i can have a peace of mind while riding. thanks also for the tips on the tools .

jayjaywideglide

I have a 99 WG and my inner cam bearings went out at 122,800 miles.  Had to replace many parts.  Change them!

Tynker

Quote from: crackerjack on December 21, 2015, 04:42:13 AM
thanks for the input am convinced i plan to change the inner bearings. i was thinking if it was not broke why change it. and sometimes i create more problems than i start with. i realize that if they did go bad i would have a lot more trouble. this way i can have a peace of mind while riding. thanks also for the tips on the tools .
Be sure to install the new bearings with the letters facing out.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

jmorton10

Quote from: strokerjlk on December 20, 2015, 09:56:27 PM

Harbor freight sells a good blind hole puller that works great. use your old bearing to tap the new bearings in. no need for fancy pullers and installing tools.

I use that HF puller also, has worked great for me for years.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

BUBBIE

Running my finger in a INA, cut the hell out of it as one roller was Sharp n like a Wire....

Change mine EVERY time into the cam chest after at least 20/30,000 miles (KOYO full complements Now)... Check if I have it apart earlier... Seen to many NOT change out the INA's and have problems costing Bunches of $$$$ later... I Was Lucky on my 09 King, thinking the larger INA was Good as Gold...18,000 miles NOT :hyst:
(cut my finger checking that rear INA)

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

prodrag1320

you got very lucky with the bearings & ide like to see what your oil pump looks like after 127K with the factory HD tensioner shoes