April 27, 2024, 12:41:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S 4.125 cylinders on a wet head?

Started by BVHOG, December 23, 2015, 02:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVHOG

Anyone done this, I could see some problems with sealing the water jacket area between the head and cylinder.
First pic here is a 4.060 harley bigger bore cylinder, you can clearly see the extra machined surface area where the raised oval portion of the gasket is made to seal against the cylinder.

Next a pic of the S&S cylinder with the gasket next to the dowel

Finally the S&S gasket on the dowel pins, you can clearly see the raised oval portion will not have a machined surface to seal against

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

BVHOG

Quote from: joe_lyons on December 23, 2015, 03:43:46 PM
Seems like that was done on purpose
I looked back at an old pic of an S&S 106 cylinder years before the wetheads came out and it has exactly the same shape machined area.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: BVHOG on December 23, 2015, 04:01:52 PM
Quote from: joe_lyons on December 23, 2015, 03:43:46 PM
Seems like that was done on purpose
I looked back at an old pic of an S&S 106 cylinder years before the wetheads came out and it has exactly the same shape machined area.

Does the bottom of the head had a slot or hole in the casting for coolant where that embossed area is on the headgasket? If so you are screwed.

strokerjlk

what cylinder is cometic making this gasket for ?    C10088-030 .... 4.250", .030"MLS, Twin Cooled 2014
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Don D

Or you could bore Harleys cylinders to 4.125
Plan B have stockers sleeved