May 08, 2024, 11:59:03 PM

News:

Burns Stainless Exhaust Headers

Started by vincer77, March 18, 2014, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

build it

March 19, 2014, 04:20:56 AM #25 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:27:44 AM by build it
Thanks for posting Vince. There is an absolutely untapped market in the fxr, although, the big power bagger is here to stay; many in the fxr market are part of the power contingent, that's a win for you. The dyna market is open too. You'd probably want a removable baffle for whatever you design, a lot of guys think they won't mind loud, but they will.

What would be sweet is a quick disconnect collector, meg, and reverse cone, v-band em. It would look awesome too.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

No Cents

unless they are willing to change their design...the baffle is welded to the muffler housing and is not removable...unless the welds are ground off.
Their reverse megaphone muffler/baffle set up is truly a work of art.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

FXDRYDR

Hey Vince,

Good to see you here.  Bought the bends, collector and muffler from you a couple years ago and built a pipe similar to Rays a couple years ago.  Considering another you designed for me last year,as engine has grown.  I think your expertise and materials are top notch.  IMHO, there would be a lot of interest in anything you bring to market and you'll get a lot of good input from the knowledgeable folks here. 

Jaycee1964

2-1-2 and 2-1 pipe that performs awesome and is not LAF would be the winner above all other manufacturers.  Loud pipes are fun but only for a while.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

Durwood

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on March 19, 2014, 06:44:18 AM
2-1-2 and 2-1 pipe that performs awesome and is not LAF would be the winner above all other manufacturers.  Loud pipes are fun but only for a while.
I agree, I guess i'm getting old or something, I been having thoughts of putting my stock mufflers back on :hyst:

saddle tramp

Quote from: No Cents on March 19, 2014, 04:46:45 AM
unless they are willing to change their design...the baffle is welded to the muffler housing and is not removable...unless the welds are ground off.

No cents, How loud is your new pipe on your 124 ? could you compare it to another pipe. I know sound is relevant but would like an idea if it's to loud for touring where you have to listen to it all day.
thanks

No Cents

in my 124 thread...there is a video of the Burns pipe on my 124 on page 36.
The Burns pipe is quieter than my Zilla was...and has a deeper tone to it. It is way more tolerable than the Zilla. It has a nice crisp sound when you twist on it.

03NhHarley

March 20, 2014, 03:07:18 PM #32 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:10:06 PM by 03NhHarley
If it priced similar to a Zilla i would be in the market for one. As my Thunderheader is on the small side for my 117. But thats if your deisgn will fit an 03 Electra Glide. Also i wouldnt worry much about bike under 107 as i think your pipe will be more for performance oriented riders and it doesnt take us long to do some motor work. :bike:  But i wouldnt be in the market till atleast next winter as i blew all my money building my 117.

Merc63

Quote from: build it on March 19, 2014, 04:20:56 AM
Thanks for posting Vince. There is an absolutely untapped market in the fxr, although, the big power bagger is here to stay; many in the fxr market are part of the power contingent, that's a win for you. The dyna market is open too. You'd probably want a removable baffle for whatever you design, a lot of guys think they won't mind loud, but they will.

What would be sweet is a quick disconnect collector, meg, and reverse cone, v-band em. It would look awesome too.

A megaphone without a baffle is unbearable.  It is so loud you can hear it for miles away.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

No Cents

Merc...did you try a Burns baffle in the open megaphone you had?
Mine with the baffle is surprising quieter than I thought it was going to be. I expected it to be a lot louder.
It is much louder than a stock exhaust...but quieter than my Zilla and the V&H pro pipe I had.
I personally thing the Burns reverse megaphone muffler with their baffle...has the best sound quality I've heard on any 2 into 1 exhaust system.
It's got a nice deep throaty tone at idle...and a crisp bark when you twist the wick on it. No raspy tinny sound when running it up thru the gears like the Zilla had.
At highway cruising speed I don't have to have my radio cranked up like I did with the Zilla...and I like that a lot better too.

vincer77

Quote from: No Cents on March 19, 2014, 04:46:45 AM

We will have some flexibility here depending on what people want.  Keep the ideas rolling!

How important is the pipes exiting behind the bags?

No Cents

I think most will say they want it at the end of the bag...or just extending beyond it a touch.

Merc63

I would have liked to use the burns baffled megaphone, but at the time, I had a nasty torque dip and I wasnt sure if I was going to need the tunability of the supertrapp muffler, also the supertrapp was a bit cheaper as it didn't come with the collector.

I didn't want to buy the megaphone and it didn't solve my reversion issue, is what it came down to.

I inquired for a baffle, because I have a TIG, but they wouldn't sell me one, or I would have probably went that route.  Overall Im happy with the build and pipe, everything is working great together. 
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

BVHOG

A few things to consider, first off the quest for quiet power is always important and will be even more so as the average CI of the bikes increases while the tolerance from the law diminishes.
If it is to be the go to pipe it has to first off have top notch quality with a realistic price. 
I find that most are willing to pull out the stop$ for a good exhaust because of the looks and put performance secondary, no reason you cant have both, heat shields are a must for the street.
Also consider some of these guys like to see how much they can make their new 120 inch 900 lb bike act like a crotch rocket in the turns, ground clearance is a must as well.
Fitment, it has to be a pipe that will fit the bike without the installer wanting to launch his tools across the shop after wrestling with it.
Also keeping the heat off the riders can be a big deal with a bigger cubic inch bike as well.
As a dyno owner I have seen where even some very small changes can take a setup to the sweet spot and turn a good build into a great build. Some adjust ability in the baffle, and better yet on the 2-1 system some adjust ability in the final primary length would be awesome.  And yes, getting past the bags is important.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

joe_lyons

For a dyna I like the look and feel of a pipe that stops somewhere between the swingarm axle and the rear axle.  Good o2 sensor location on both 18mm and 12mm and possibly using the same type of angled bung plates that stock uses which work pretty well for good signal.  I think heat shields being optional is good since I do not run one as it is and i love the look of stainless.  Don't forget to put your stamp on it.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

build it

If a multitude of pipes were going to be made, then start with the 103-107 builds with stock heads; compression is anywhere from 9.5-11.2 on these, generally. Then move to 117-124" with stock heads, compression runs from 9.5-12.5 here. If you're looking to encroach further into the lunatic fringe, 124-131 motors with B2 heads, compression ranging from 10.8-12.5.

Personally I'd rather have a removable meg than a removable baffle, for the times I want hero numbers.

Offer the pipes in black, silver, and grey ceramic. A brushed pipe with the interior ceramic coated would be awesome.

From a sales perspective, very few want to spin their motors past 6500, usually less.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

C-Cat

Quote from: hd king on March 18, 2014, 05:18:45 PM
How about a 2:1 Dyna pipe as well?
I'd be in for that. Dynas and baggers are getting most of the highend build treatment.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

strokerjlk

2-1-2 for early baggers . Bolt on .
design it to work with the stock oil pan , and it will sell like hotcakes .
Currently that is the best setup for a bagger . Unfortunately no one cares about the older baggers.  The scavenging of a 2-1 , with the volume of duals. Best of both worlds .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

q1svt

March 21, 2014, 08:28:53 AM #43 Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:36:24 AM by q1svt
Someone mentioned earlier that a bagger "2-1-2 system.....do not build one anything like what everyone is building"...

I run the PowerDuals from V&H and have been looking to use the rear pipe from either a Dyna pipe or the Bassani bagger road rage to modify the PD's rear pipe... Thought is to get the rear cylinder to pull it fair share of the work, 180* scavenge, longer primaries for street 32-34"'s, was the goal.  Have spent a lot of time looking at the clearances and floor boards, just haven't found a good priced pipe to cut-up yet. This should be more of a Stage I pipe due to the length of the primaries.  Yes the pipes need to end after the bags.

I think the Harley's (very old) timing cover that still includes the bump for the points is stopping companies from making a leap in design.  So, RSD timing cover opens that door to allow a bagger to make a big change in design/PERFORMANCE... 

Since pictures are worth a 1,000 words here are two examples of the concept...

http://www.rolandsands.com/wp/2012/06/15/ryan-shecklers-bike

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150182250473591&set=a.10150182244358591.309229.81902883590&type=1&theater

jm2c
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

Merc63

Has anyone built a pipe with an x pipe in it then going straight out? Like a 2x2
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

q1svt

Mike Roland for Dyna's and softail's.  The X-pipe is based on the V&H power Duals.  Someone mentioned that they talked w/Mike and it's a little softer on the lower rpm's.  My guess it's the extra bends going to the left side in the bagger 2-1-2 that helps it perform better in the low-end TQ.
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

Merc63

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 21, 2014, 09:22:22 AM
Quote from: Merc63 on March 21, 2014, 08:52:49 AM
Has anyone built a pipe with an x pipe in it then going straight out? Like a 2x2

http://wegnerautomotive.com/BikeExhaust/bikeexhaust_dyna.htm

Anyone run that??

Wonder how it would work without the mufflers, straight out from the X...
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

TorQuePimp

I think if you intend to compete with the other touring 2-1 pipes on the market.....the base system would need to extend to the end of or past the bags.

jam65

Maybe a 90 degree oval side exhaust like Spin Tech for the baggers. Keeps the operational length short and a different look to the exhaust. Thinking side pipes?