May 06, 2024, 08:03:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ot. bait and switch sales

Started by guitar sam, March 05, 2009, 03:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdkkart

I had pretty much the opposite happen to me. A local had a ZTR mower on Craig'slist for $2700 or so, then he put it on Ebay with a $2000 starting bid, $2500 reserve, and a $2800BIN. The mower was just 2 years old, over $4000 new, and had less than 50hrs on it, but he was listing it in September, nobody in Iowa needs a mower in September, except me.

I emailed him and asked to go look at it.
"No problem, come on over anytime this weekend".

I called Sunday morning and headed over to his house.(auction ends Monday evening) Got there, looked it over, all looks good, asked what he had to have for it.

Him: "My reserve is $2500".

Me: "Alright, I'll be putting in a bid tomorrow, we'll see what happens."

Him:"what're you gonna bid??"

Me:"I'm starting at $2000, we'll see what happens"

Him:"If you take it today, I'll pull the listing and sell it for $2000"(he had "for sale locally" in the listing)

Hmmm?? This guy wants to sell this thing NOW........Hmmmm???

Me: "Ah, I'll just bid and we'll see what happens, maybe I'll be back to pick it up, IF I win I'll be back with my trailer to pick it up."
I start walking down the drive now......

Him, following me down the drive...."$1900 today"

I keep walking.......

Him:"$1800, and I'll deliver it today."

That was easy,.....Sold...........

The guy had his wife with a brand new baby in the near brand new house, she was off on 6 weeks maternity leave and the first of the month was coming up, I suspect he needed a house payment??