September 20, 2024, 06:26:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

You might be riding a Shovelhead if......

Started by Old Crow, March 29, 2014, 03:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crow

(This might belong in Earl's, I couldn't really decide).
Stolen from Kickstart's post on Facebook.

If you carry more tools than clothes on a 2 week road trip....
If your driveway looks like a dalmation...
You might ride a Shovelhead.
You only replace 1 piston... because the other one was fine..

if you get tired of hearing every one talk about all the new Bikes ....
and you find up to date Harley talk boring ......
if you know what a true King queen seat is....
if you run 6 cyl. chevy points and big block chevy plugs....
If you don't have to make any excuses....
if the old lady wears chaps just to keep the oil off her pants..........
You Definitly Ride a Shovel if you buy JB weld in bulk....
You Definitly Ride a Shovel If have have two fire extinguishers....
Your wife files for divorce and names the scoot as the "other women" and claims alienation of affection ....
the DMV worker asks if you want 'antique' plates for that.....
a new city noise ordinance doesn't include your old bike (with shorty drag pipes) because there just aren't enough of them to make an impact.
you buy oil by the case. a couple times a year.
the kids on the block ask if a shovelhead is better than a Harley?
you think 1/4" tolerance between parts is pretty darn good!

If you talk about your Bike like a person...
If you think HD quit making engines in 84
If you not only know all the part numbers for wear items, but when the dealer's parts guy sees you coming, he goes in the back to get you the Shovelhead Parts Book
If you enjoy watching rubs back out of the way when you flip out the kicker
If you think Dynaglides are the MoCo's way of covering a stupid mistake: getting rid of the original fourspeed frame
If you think there are only three ways to ride a Shovelhead: rigid frame, apehangers, and kick only
If you know that you cannot run your bike on the street with less than 3 wires, but you wish you could..
If you got rid of all the extra complicated electrical components on your ride like the electric starter, turn signals, and horn.
If part of your twelve-year-old son's most important "education" includes being able to pick out a Pan, Knuck, or SHOVEL at twenty paces...
If you have ever hopped around the yard on one leg praying that you won't be crippled for life.

If you have to save up for an oil change - and you do it yourself.
If your living room is covered in parts because you don't have a shed but you're hell-bent on rebuilding the damn thing.
If your shift lever says "Vise-Grip"
If your oil pressure gauge reads zero after warm up.....
- parts fall off yer bike before you even get out of the driveway.
- you're bike has the same effect on your wife as her washing machine on spin cycle.
If you find a wet spot on the passenger seat after you take that hottie for a ride....
or if you find a wet spot on the floor after every ride!
If.....
-Your bike's condition actually improves the longer you own it and the more you ride it...
-You think winter is God's way of telling you it's OK to take your bike off the road and tear it down...
-You own a HD, but have never set foot in a dealership....
-You have no interest in new bikes or $100,000 theme bikes, but think Lugnut's VLD is THE TITS.....
-You don't give a crap what Mother Harley does....

-No one but you has ever turned a wrench on your bike...
-You don't give a crap what anybody else thinks of your scoot, but you know it's the perfect ride for you....
-You think JockeyShifter is "Potty mouth"king hilarious..........

if you pray for the day that there is still oil in the tank when it comes around for a service and oil change!!
If you find yourself going over a preflight checklist before you fire up the beast.
If you decorate your garage walls with broken or worn out parts......
You might be riding a shovel.

If you have no Harley-Davidson emblems on your Harley-Davidson tanks....
If 2 Shovel riders happen upon the same bar, and stand in the parking lot talking "Shovel" for a 1/2 hour before getting a beer....
If ya can't even type out the word "EVO"....
..if you even know what a kick starter is
..when your ass is numb and your kidneys are killing you, you still have a smile on your face.
..if you stop to help a broke down bike (even a twinky)
..when your bike catchs fire and can still be made to run.
..if you actually like working on your bike yourself.
..when duct tape and bailing wire are in your tool kit.
..if you buy loctite in the Big bottle.
..if folks think your scoot is painted loc-tite blue!
It must be a Shovel

If your in the market for a second bike and the letters A ,M ,F don't matter to you...
if you just road through a summer rain storm and washed your bike at the same time
If you see your "electric leg" as backup for your kicker......then you probably ride a Shovel!
when you break welds almost as often as you break traction
when you pull over to help a broken down bike no matter the make, because you've been there, and are on you way there now.
Women are fighting to be next on the "MILWAUKEE VIBRATOR"

If you go to the auto parts store for your parts
if you use a feeler gage for a starter button
if you have 1/32" between clutch disengaged and YEEHAAAA!!!!
if you know what a kickstarter is for!
If the first thing you hear outta everyone is "What year is that?"
if you test ride a new harley and feel like it is missing something.... you might ride a shovelhead
If you put on your new windshild and swear something is wrong because you never heard all those noises before!
If a RUB says to you "That would be a nice bike if it was a Harley"
You MUST be riding a Shovelhead.

If you have two beautiful mirrors on your bike, can't see a thing out of them at highway speeds.
if the RUBS think the "twinky" you were talking about is made by Hostess
if everytime you ride you have a chase vehicle to pick up your parts
If parts keep falling off.........
If something on your bike is broken, but you can fix it yourself not take it to the dealer
If you have to brush the soot from yer clothes,and wash yer scoot with SOS pads.......
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

jerite

Less is more....let's keep it simple!

Snuff™

Most of those are soooo true, "Been there, Done that!"

How about the the fine oil mist up the back left shoulder?
Didn't know is was ever there until I wore a gray shirt once.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

SideWalker

March 29, 2014, 05:15:39 AM #3 Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:51:00 AM by SideWalker
Are you riding a shovel if your motor is built by someone other than HD :potstir:
Sometimes I Think Then Do, Most Times I Do Then Think

easyricer

My ol Lady is sitting over there wondering why I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying! YUP All true!
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Tobias

If people under their mid 40s have no idea what you are riding

HotRodShovel

Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Hillside Motorcycle

...........and when the new T/C rider that just got waxed by your 103"er catches up at the next light............and never even looks over at you...............you might just ride a Shovelhead............ :hyst:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

fbn ent

When your bike idles with that sweet sound naturally......

When you know every part by name and they all start with F.............

You probably are riding a Shovel.

:up:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

HotRodShovel

...you had to pull off to the shoulder and walk back to grab a part from the highway.....
John

96flhpi

Quote from: hotrodshovel on March 31, 2014, 07:42:10 AM
...you had to pull off to the shoulder and walk back to grab a part from the highway.....

For me this goes hand in hand with "your shifter says vise grip."  Damn, I know I had that shifter at the last light!

rigidthumper

"If you have ever hopped around the yard on one leg praying that you won't be crippled for life."
BTDT- limp as a direct result ;)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

easyricer

I still haven't found a horn that will stay put. Hell I quit pulling over to pick them up years ago.
EASY

HotRodShovel

96..it happened on my first shakedown ride after I built it in 1998.   I84 in Orange Cty NY.    I went to down shift and got nothing but air.  My shifter ended up in the middle lane about a quarter mile back.  I got it but without the bolt...... Vice Grips got me home.

Easy, usually after it bounces around the blacktop and gets hit by a few vehicles, its all pretty much useless.  I've left quite a bit behind too.
John

76shuvlinoff

It was the chain......   :banghead:
I keep the horn in the nacelle where it belongs.  :wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Snuff™

I was lucky, air cleaner cover fell against my right calf.  Was able to keep it against the bike until I pulled over.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Tireman

....if you gap your points with a match pack.
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

motorplex88

....if you have ever thrown a chrome coil cover in the ditch overhand. [for those that have been there, no explenation needed.]

76shuvlinoff

^^^ did that but I snuck back to get it .
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hogman

Hogman

SideWalker

April 02, 2014, 06:58:21 AM #20 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:32:17 AM by SideWalker
When you come out of the bar and there's a group of people staring and pointing at it like it's a alien spaceship.

Trouble

I enjoy watching the rubs back out of the way when I flip out the kicker.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

Old Crow

Quote from: SideWalker on April 02, 2014, 06:58:21 AM
When you come out of the bar and there's a group of people staring and pointing at it like it's a alien spaceship.

Had someone look at my FLT one time and say, "I didn't know Harley made a Goldwing".  I didn't bother.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

HotRodShovel

I went to a bike wash at a local dealer upstate NY several years ago.  My Shovel was still on the rigid frame, kick only.  I was the only non-Evo in a lot filled with Evo's.   Walked around, had a beer watched the girls wash a couple of bikes and decided to leave.  When I got back to my bike a few guys were standing around  looking at it.  One guy said to me, "Thats a Knucklehead Sportster right?"   My reply, "There's only one Knucklehead in this lot "
He asked me where it was and then actually said to me that his wife thinks he's going through a mid-life crisis.  Strike me dead.

I flipped the kick pedal and as I'm getting ready to jump on it, other guy said "you gotta do that every time you start it?" 

Two RUBS in all their glory.
John

easyricer

LMAO... We sold the '50 yesterday morning to a friend of ours and one of his buddies who was there actually asked us "when did they make sportsters with big fenders?".... I gave my buddy the run down on how to start the old girl, and the other cat "why not just use the electric start?" After a few minutes of running he asks "Are you gonna fix that leak?" I was having a hard time keeping my mouth shut when my buddy spoke up and said "If it ain't leaking from there, you ran out of oil!"
EASY

jerite

April 04, 2014, 05:18:29 PM #26 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:27:15 PM by jerite
...... when going on a run one saddlebag is full of tools and oil......jer

SideWalker

When your never 100% sure what time your leaving the bar.

ARBY

Quote from: Old Crow on March 29, 2014, 03:00:46 AM

If you carry more tools than clothes on a 2 week road trip....
.....You might ride a Shovelhead.

Yes I Do !
"Bring the boys back home."
http://chopperville1.tripod.com

fbn ent

If you carry enough tools & parts to change out a head gasket....

If your bike decides where you will stop and have a beer...

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

One4Tone

..you might be riding a shovel when the old lady shows up to pick you up in the pickup...and the hound dog in the back is the only one happy to see you...  :idunno:

jerite

Brrrap

Your wallet chain finds the battery terminal. (Don't ask :oops:)
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Brrrap

Quote from: Brrrap on April 13, 2014, 02:24:20 PM
Everyone thought that was f**king hilarious 'cept me
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Brrrap on April 13, 2014, 02:27:59 PM
Quote from: Brrrap on April 13, 2014, 02:24:20 PM
Everyone thought that was f**king hilarious 'cept me

I had some 0000 fine steel wool soaked with polish go up like flash paper... I landed on my pockets getting away from it.
And then there was there time I got my wedding ring stuck between the rear rocker and the + post on the FLH tractor battery.  I invented a 17 syllable word.

- Ernest Hemingway

96flhpi

Did the steel wool thing cleaning some burnt on oil, and mine was screwdriver from battery post to rocker to wedding ring.  I speak that fancy language too!!

Ohio HD

Yer ridin a rigid frame chopper, it's pouring down raining, and every time you have to stop at a light, the round custom twin terminal coil gets brushed every time your feet go to the ground, by your soaking wet jeans.    :cry:

easyricer

And then there was there time I got my wedding ring stuck between the rear rocker and the + post on the FLH tractor battery.  I invented a 17 syllable word.

I learned that while in training when I was in the Army. They said "If you wear your ring while working with electricity, it could become a permanent part of your body"  For that reason I never did wear my wedding ring while married to the first wife. (not to mention buyers remorse) Then sure enough, get married again, actually wear the ring, and short it out between the breaker and the rear rocker box! Yup, the old Drill Instructor was right! It's absolutely amazing how hot a gold band gets connected to a 350CCA battery! If I move my ring, I can read what the engraving says on my finger!
EASY

SideWalker

When you not going fast and you couldn't go fast if you wanted to and you don't care.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: hotrodshovel on April 04, 2014, 05:22:17 AM
I went to a bike wash at a local dealer upstate NY several years ago.  My Shovel was still on the rigid frame, kick only.  I was the only non-Evo in a lot filled with Evo's.   Walked around, had a beer watched the girls wash a couple of bikes and decided to leave.  When I got back to my bike a few guys were standing around  looking at it.  One guy said to me, "Thats a Knucklehead Sportster right?"   My reply, "There's only one Knucklehead in this lot "
He asked me where it was and then actually said to me that his wife thinks he's going through a mid-life crisis.  Strike me dead.

I flipped the kick pedal and as I'm getting ready to jump on it, other guy said "you gotta do that every time you start it?" 

Two RUBS in all their glory.

................shoulda' replied.........."no, every 3rd time"........ :hyst:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

One4Tone

...you know you're riding a shovel and after a cold , wet 10 hour ride and you stop for fuel and a burger in some greasy spoon hangout, and the sweetie behind the counter asks " would you like anything else with your cheesebuck?"...all that seems to come out as you check out her pineapples,,,"pa-ta to..... pa ta toe....ta ta toe... :smiled:

Older-twin

You might be riding a shovelhead if you have another shovelhead back in the garage waiting her turn to be ridden.

HotRodShovel

Scott, I wish I would have come up with that one. Perfect. ha
John

One4Tone

...you know you're riding a shovel if in the middle of the night  while in bed you kick the old lady..... thinking it time to get her started... :doh:

Hogman

Quote from: One4Tone on April 15, 2014, 05:41:01 AM
...you know you're riding a shovel if in the middle of the night  while in bed you kick the old lady..... thinking it time to get her started...[/b] :doh:

:hyst:  :hyst:  :hyst:
LOVE IT!!  LOLOLOL
Hogman

One4Tone

...ya might be riding a shovel if you got a 530 masterlink on your boot buckle, a cigar box and a sleeping bag in the nap sack while riding down the road...after the O'L kickstarted

easyricer

Back when I used hardware store chain on my bikes, I carried at least 5 masterlinks on me at all times. I had 2 on my vest, 2 on my clutch cable and one in my pocket.
Today, when I replace a chain I buy the best that I can get. I have at least 30k on my current chain and it is just now showing a little wear.
When I show a new old bike owner how to service his ride, I still remove the chain, clean it off in gasoline, then drop it in the oil drain pan while the oil is draining. (unless he has a very high quality chain like I have with a pressed on master link.)
As a matter of fact, I'll be giving a block of instruction today for the new owner of my '50 Pan/Shovel. He wants to go back to tank shift/foot clutch. So we'll replace the points and condenser, change the oil, adjust the primary chain, adjust the brakes, clean the commutator ring on the generator and check the brushes, clean and adjust the clutch, install and adjust the foot clutch, and so on. 
EASY

SideWalker

April 18, 2014, 07:06:41 AM #47 Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:12:30 AM by SideWalker
Pressed on master link
With the clip opening pointed in the opposite direction of rotation

jerite

....when you read that when someone is looking for a part in the shovel swap meet section your first thought is "I think I got one on them laying on the shelf or in a crate out in the shed".... :wink:...Jer

P.S. And then of course you offer it to a fellow shovel-lover at a very fair price since someone sent one to you for next to nothing to help you keep your old iron on the road!!!  :teeth:

hogman91

I pulled to the side walked back and forth up and down the Highway found the bolt when I got back to my scoot the o'lady said I saw the nut it was walking up and down the highway lookin in the ditch,she had the duct tape and bailing wire already  out and said here you NUT I love my Shovel thanks honey :bike: