April 19, 2024, 01:11:34 AM

News:

66 Iron Head

Started by WhipLash96, April 14, 2014, 06:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1966 XLCH. I know next to nothing about this bike. From what I am told, and from a person that I trust very much, this bike is in very good shape.  But still, what are some of the things to look for both good and bad on these bikes? Thanks.
Thanks,
Whip

Brrrap

Whiplash, the early CH's can be honey's one day, and a F**(mumble Mumble)kin pain deep in the (Mumble Mumble) the very same day. Please, be honest to yourself and ask: How are my knees? They can be "Kickfest" promoters. Also don't be surprised without warning sometimes the kickers disengage.  If you are not savvy to this, A hyper extended knee from the kicker falling freely is seriously painful, you'll limp for days. I rode my 59CH for nearly a decade, had a riot with it and wouldn't change a thing I learned from it. Lying on the ground holding your knee isn't fun though. I watched my brothers 66CH kick back one day and sent his knee into the carb, ripping it and its intake off the motor. But Hell, if the price is right, Grab it! I would!
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

WhipLash96

Quote from: Brrrap on April 14, 2014, 09:30:48 PM
Whiplash, the early CH's can be honey's one day, and a F**(mumble Mumble)kin pain deep in the (Mumble Mumble) the very same day. Please, be honest to yourself and ask: How are my knees? They can be "Kickfest" promoters. Also don't be surprised without warning sometimes the kickers disengage.  If you are not savvy to this, A hyper extended knee from the kicker falling freely is seriously painful, you'll limp for days. I rode my 59CH for nearly a decade, had a riot with it and wouldn't change a thing I learned from it. Lying on the ground holding your knee isn't fun though. I watched my brothers 66CH kick back one day and sent his knee into the carb, ripping it and its intake off the motor. But Hell, if the price is right, Grab it! I would!
As of now the price is at $3300. I will be getting some pictures and hopefully a video of it running.

Can you be more specific about the finicky attitudes of these bikes?

My knees are good so I will give it a shot.
Thanks,
Whip

Brrrap

Whiplash, I'll chime in again with more after I see the pics. But, my initial reaction is "Thirty Three hundred?" for a rider? uh I'll pass. But truthfully the bike may very well be worth it at that price. Initial learning curve of riding "Goofy foot" (Shifter is on the right,rear brake on the left) comes with many of these:  :doh: :doh: :doh: at first. My unreliable memory would have me inspecting the engine cases on the lower right side at the transmission output shaft area for case repairs. As I poorly remember, I have seen many with repairs there due to that being a weak area? It's a magneto bike right? Hopefully the bushings in it are tight. Your points gap will be all over the map if not. A good magneto, properly adjusted, will lend itself to a good starting "CH" as will the right carburetor. I always had great results with my Keihin. I've been around Mikuni's and S&S E's on CH's that did the job beautifully too. The rubbers at the intake, and the gasket at the carb, I cant stress enough how important it is to not have any leaks. Simple "Blowdown" plates are easy to fabricate and with a little soapy water reveal 1 aspect of starting problems. A little backfire between gears every now and then? Look for a leak at intake -and- exhaust. Looking forward to seeing the pics.   
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

WhipLash96

Actually the price is $3500. I just talked to the owner and th the bike is a numbers matching bike with a zenith carb. The one change from original is that it has a Bates solo seat. With the bike comes the original factory service and parts manual. From what I am being told, the engine and tranny has been gone through. Yes, this is opposite side shift.  The magneto was said to cost $1000? I was also told that this bike has an external oil filter as well.

I will have pictures from the owner sometime today.

What else should I be looking for?
Thanks,
Whip

Brrrap

Quote: "What else should I be looking for?"
  IMHO Answer: Him to come down off that price. (I maintain I'm not a definitive know all) First, replacement magneto's are a bit pricy,, true, But that bike came with one, not an added cost add on to up the value. Second, I don't think there is such a thing as a numbers matching bike in XLCH's of 1966. Have him show you the numbers that are stamped on the left case below the two cylinders (Example: 66XLCH3659) the 66 is the year,XLCH is the model,4 digits after are production numbers) some say that XL (of course) stands for sportster and the CH stands for "Competition Hot"
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEVvDFX01TlBgA6FIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMG04Z2o2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?qid=20070914075644AAoq6Rd
Anyway have him show you on the frame where its marked: (Example: 66XLCH3659) I don't believe he'll be able to do that as frame stampings came later. (Once again,I believe) So quickly, we have two examples on this particular bike that are misleading, if I dare say?
Motor is "Gone through? Oh boy here we go again,,,,, Request documentation, parts receipts. If that request comes up zippo, Whiplash, do yourself a favor, lowball a price offer with cash -n- walk away. See if he calls ya back.

WhipLash96

I posted a picture in a separate thread because I don't know how to post one in an existing thread using Tapatalk.  Enjoy.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

I figured out how to post the picture the correct way.  Check it out.
Thanks,
Whip

Brrrap

Yes, It looks to be very nice,,,,other side please?

WhipLash96

Ok, here is the other side.

Pretty nice huh?
Thanks,
Whip

garyajaz

very nice unmolested bike.
price would be right if everything internal is good.
personally I got turned off on mag sporties.
my 1974 is hard enough to start.
so yes, if your young and leg/knee/ankle is in good shape (for now)'
go for it.  keeping the old iron alive is a commitment.

oh, it very badly needs a chain guard.
not only for safety if chain goes.  but to keep slung oil off ya.

Brrrap

:agree: My Gawd Gary it's about time you piped in! Whiplash, It looks to be a nice bike, But you now hopefully understand they are tempermental! Good luck man!

WhipLash96

Quote from: garyajaz on April 16, 2014, 08:47:10 AM
very nice unmolested bike.
price would be right if everything internal is good.
personally I got turned off on mag sporties.
my 1974 is hard enough to start.
so yes, if your young and leg/knee/ankle is in good shape (for now)'
go for it.  keeping the old iron alive is a commitment.

oh, it very badly needs a chain guard.
not only for safety if chain goes.  but to keep slung oil off ya.
Yes it does and I believe that he still has it. I was having issues with the Mrs. On this one but I may have her in my camp. I will have to sacrifice a few things but for this bike. No problem.
Thanks,
Whip

garyajaz

good luck.  prior to buying get the "secrete" start procedure from owner.
you start it COLD and see if want to handle it.
I really like the way its set up.
have fun.

nibroc

go get the bike--no better time to learn--people here will help ya--kinda looks like my 68 and I got way more than that in mine

Speeding Big Twin

WhipLash96, the term numbers matching can mean different things to different people at different times. If the seller means the frame number matches the engine number then that would not be original for a 66 Sportster because Sportsters didn't originally have a frame number until 1970 models. But these days on early frames you'll sometimes find a state-assigned number for licensing purposes.

What you may find stamped on the frame is an additional original component identifying number consisting of a capital letter followed by some numbers—for example, D1234. This form of ID by H-D began with 1962 models. For Sportsters it may be on the left side of the steering head but if nothing there then check the right-hand side. Look closely because the characters are only about 1/8" in size. We don't need to know the three or four numbers but the letter may help indicate the model year of the frame. And check the lower triple clamp for similar ID although it probably won't completely match the frame ID. Also check the right-hand side of the frame on the boss just to the rear of the gas tank rear mount and you may find a date code consisting of one letter and one number. Please let us know if you find anything there.

If it is a 1966 model engine then it may be that when the seller said it was a numbers-matching bike that he meant the belly numbers (BNs) match each other. BNs should be stamped on the underside of each crankcase half near the outer edges and somewhat toward the front. They should be formatted similar to the following example: 766-1234. 

The engine serial number (SN) should comply with the 1960–69 even-odd code. For a 1966 model that means that if there are only four sequence characters then the first sequence character should be an even number—for example, 2345. If there are five sequence characters then the first two characters, when read as one number, should constitute an even number—for example, 10234.

But not all SNs are factory-stamped. If you post a clear photo then we may be able to give you an opinion on whether or not that SN is. But for security reasons and because you don't own the bike yet you may want to cover a few of the sequence characters—for example, you could post a photo showing 66XLCH2+++.
Eric

WhipLash96

Thanks for the very in depth reply. Yes I have pictures of the engine number's.  :-X
Thanks,
Whip

klammer76

Hey Whiplash, I tried to PM you about another topic but your PM box is full, I have a question for you re a carb mod.

Klammer

Brrrap

WhipLash96

Quote from: klammer76 on April 18, 2014, 06:12:21 AM
Hey Whiplash, I tried to PM you about another topic but your PM box is full, I have a question for you re a carb mod.

sorry about that. My PM box is cleared now for you.

Klammer
Thanks,
Whip

kik

Did all 66's come with Left side chrome and right side natural?

CW#

Man... does that take me back. The price wouldn't scare me... at my age, however, the kickback might! <grin>

I went from a Triumph to a 67 Sporty... the shift lever on the right made perfect sense to me! <grin>

That bike certainly looks righteous... if the engine, tranny, mag, and carb are good and the frame is straight I would jump on it.

Bronson (on Then Came Bronson) rode his into a lake and then rebuilt it on the side of the road with his toolbag tools. Men were real men back in those days, though...  :hyst:

C#
Whut Me Wurry?

garyajaz

don't forget the Bronson Rock

Speeding Big Twin

Quote from: kik on April 18, 2014, 03:41:29 PM
Did all 66's come with Left side chrome and right side natural?

I do not know if all 1966 CHs originally had a chrome primary cover but perhaps at least some did. The picture below is from The Legend Begins and the bike is said to be a 66CH. It appears to have a chrome primary cover:

Legend has no picture of the right-hand side of the 66CH but it does have pictures of the right-hand side of the CH for 65 and 67, both of which appear to show natural finish on the gear case cover and transmission sprocket cover.

Notice the primary cover in the Legend picture is a different style to the cover on the bike for sale. I do not know if the latter cover is H-D or aftermarket.

On the bike that is for sale, apart from the seat and oil filter, some other things that are not original for a 66 Sportster are the handlebars, throttle (originally internal), regulator (originally mechanical), exhaust pipes, oil cooler (automobile transmission cooler? or maybe Andrews?), petrol tap, starter pedal, starter crank and numberplate bracket. Shock absorbers may be 1967 or later if H-D or they could be aftermarket. Lower fork legs appear to be 1970 or later. Front mudguard appears to be 1970 or later style, and if it's H-D then it's been shortened at both ends. Taillight and rear mudguard may be mid-73 or later if H-D or they could be aftermarket. Transmission sprocket cover appears to be 1968 or later style. Also, I think a speedo and tacho would have been fitted as original for 1966 models but I do not see them on the bike.
Eric

Hillside Motorcycle

I believe I have the correct seat for that bike......FWIW.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

WhipLash96

The owner has the original.  Thanks Scott.
Thanks,
Whip

jack6hd

Looking at the pictures made my right knee ache. I had lots of fun with my 66. Good luck.
2015 FXDL

WhipLash96

Thank you for all of your help. It ended up that I had to let the bike go. The wife put her foot down on this one and said she really didn't want another bike in the garage.  Oh well. There will be others in the future.
Thanks,
Whip

kik

Quote from: WhipLash96 on April 30, 2014, 12:25:49 PM
Thank you for all of your help. It ended up that I had to let the bike go. The wife put her foot down on this one and said she really didn't want another bike in the garage.  Oh well. There will be others in the future.

Is that before or after you get rid of the wife  :potstir:

Brrrap

May 01, 2014, 10:53:32 AM #29 Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:50:54 PM by Brrrap
Mine has shot down  1- VL, 1 Flattie servicar, 3- Panheads,  2- Shovels and 2-Sportsters in the 35 years we've been together. I have a Pan, a Shovel and a TC in the garage and I'm happy with who she is. They'll always be good stuff coming, but some will admit , it's the things we had, that we let go, we wish we still had.  (oh if only I still owned some of the cars I used to have,,,,,,,,)   

WhipLash96

Quote from: kik on May 01, 2014, 09:33:14 AM

Is that before or after you get rid of the wife  :potstir:

Nah, I like my wife.
Thanks,
Whip