Not a Backfire thru carb, but engine misses at cruising speeds?

Started by DJ Baar, April 18, 2014, 01:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Baar

Just placed the order for new with DynaTek, basically buying new one at their cost.

I talked some about timing with the Dyna Tech Rep and my confusion per another email from when I had S&S flywheels.  Basically he told me to time ignition at TDC and rotate flywheel to edge of window because ignition has 35° built-in advance.  I had been riding the bike with the advance line retarded (forward in inspection window) not TDC dot.  When I use TDC (use a plastic straw to confirm TDC after intake valve closes) I can barely get the ignition plate to screw down because adjustment windows are maxed or have to have to keep dot in center of window.  BUT if I use the advance line on flywheel and retard timing the ignition plate has screws centered in adjustment windows!  Understand my confusion?  Throw-in that I had an S&S flywheel before (radical 5" stroke with stroker plates - not my doing - de-stroked some now) and now have a 1980 80" Harley flywheels with 80" jugs bored .010 over and bike APPEARED to be running well with using advance line as discussed!  TDC now is dot and line is advance.  :banghead:

Well, got to first get and wire new ignition module.
* Bring on the Ol'Skool Hot Rod Harleys!

Hogman

Hogman

dusty1

Ignition problem? Im not sure how to time a dual plugged,single fire bike as i run points. Do you have a mechanical advance with your electronic ign?

76shuvlinoff

Running dual plugged single fire and with the high cyl pressures I used to run I actually turned the standoffs for the points cover down a bit to get the 2ki module retarded enough to stop the ping. Maybe I should'a could'a spent more time trying to figure out the voes instead of taking it off and stomping on it.  :hyst:

One thing you can do with in-the-cone modules is slip a washer or two under the "points" cover to allow a bit of air to circulate through the area.  Of course this might allow a bit of water in there too but with a sealed ignition unit and a drain hole around the wiring I doubt that is much of an issue.

You could also drill the cover full of speed holes for faster track times....  :teeth:

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

DJ Baar

One thing that occurred to me was detonation, cause with all the noise solid lifters make?  But engine appeared to have been running solid and then just started to miss (no ignition).  And that was using the advance mark (line) on this flywheel!  I'm going to double-check TDC and start from there (should be the lower dot?), retard as I was told if I can.  And bring the plug gaps down as recommended. 

Also have the fitting for VOES coming. just need to CAREFULLY drill-out the epoxy filled orifice in back of CV carb.  (Not sure why that was filled, could have just been capped?!)

First got to get this new ignition and take time to install it (again).

Debating replacing battery or just waiting on that as this old Big BOAR 350 checked good on two different battery checkers?

Hogman

DJ Sez....
Debating replacing battery or just waiting on that as this old Big BOAR 350 checked good on two different battery checkers?

For What my Opinion is worth, I'd Probably Wait until You find out What You got with it. The Issues Just MIGHT Be all done. IF after you install, and it Seems like You MIGHT be Having a Battery Issue, Then I'd Replace it.
I'd Bet a Coffee IF that was All the problem was, (a Defunct Ign.) the Battery SHOULD be a Mute Point. Just Sayin'......  :idunno:
Find it a Little Hard to Believe that 1/2 Volt you posted about, (Going off my VERY Poor Memory here....) is Going to make THAT kind of a Difference, Especially as You have been Using a Tender, or Something before You tried to Start it.
Just MY Opinion DJ.
Wish You All the Luck Brother.  :up:
After All is Up & Running, Then we would get to see You Doing This in Your Reply.....  :bike:  :chop:  :up:  :up:

Hogman

DJ Baar

Roger that Hogman. 

I will leave battery alone, but take advantage of sale at J&P this weekend to get a VOES switch.

DJ Baar

Got new DynaTek 2Ki ignition installed over weekend, timing with TDC dot at edge of inspection hole (to retard timing 3-4 degrees), plugs gapped to .026-.028, and my "JOker" (Harley '74 FXE Custom build) now runs again.  BUT as you hear towards end of short video, carb needs more adjustment for more gas. (Remember this is a Keihin 40MM CV Carb.)

I haven't connected VOES yet until after I get it running as before.  Note that before I used the wrong mark on flywheel, advance line.  I confirmed TDC dot with a plastic straw just after #1 intake valve opens and closes and piston comes back up from BDC.  (Also gold cup has smaller of two lengths forward as it is supposed to be.)

I am assuming that since I have timing now done correctly the need for more gas at idle?  I can give it gas and it revs back up. You can hear at end of short video what I am talking about but video was still too BIG for post.  Basically engine coughs thru carb like sucking for more gas.  I have more that I can adjust on enrichment needle, but may need to check the jetting too now. 

Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

turboprop

What low and high speed jets are in the carb right now?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

DJ Baar

Main jet I can easily read 200 on it and pilot jet I removed to see better, but can only see a star shape stamped in it.

turboprop

Quote from: DJ Baar on May 13, 2014, 07:09:41 PM
Main jet I can easily read 200 on it and pilot jet I removed to see better, but can only see a star shape stamped in it.

The first thing you should do is determine what jets are in there now. Otherwise you are just taking a random guess. Try taking a picture and then zooming in.

DJ Baar

OK, just like I said ... I took float bowl off (again) and took pictures of the main & pilot jets.  Main has 200 stamped in it a couple times and Pilot jet you cannot see well so I removed and have between my thumb and fore-finger, looks like TX or a star stamped in it to me --- LoL.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

turboprop

You are going to have to replace that low speed jet with one that has a known size. I recommend buying several of them in range where others have had success. Bottom line, you will have to get to a known point and adjust from there.

Hogman

DJ, except for that Star thing on the Low Spd. Jet, (Probably SUPPOSED to be a Kehein(sp?) Replica....??  :nix:) it LOOKS a LOT like some of the "Kits" I use to see Guys Putting in their Scoots, (With the Obligitory DRILLING!!) Then Bitching about how Poorly the Bike was running. I USED to have a Precision set of Drill Bits that I'd use to Check them, and IF I remember Correctly, No Two Were the Same Size. They were Bigger, Smaller etc. But I Found Quite a Few Not Marked At ALL! BUTT, VERY Inconsistent in the Sizing, is what I'm Getting at.
I Used to Have a Plastic Box with about a hundred Jets in it of varying Sizes, Including a Ton for the Early Kehien(sp?) that I Never got back from a Shop I Helped out in at Times, and they Folded & Ran. I Had No Proof for the Sherriff to Get them Back......  :emsad:  :down:
What I Would Do, IF I was You, (I Know, I'm Not!  :wink:) I Would try to get a selection of them from a REPUTABLE Company, and go from There. I Don't remember if I read that you had an adjustable Needle or not either, or for that Matter, WHICH one you had..... Sorry.
Anywho, that is Just MY Suggestion, and Being as I Type so damn slow, it's time for me to Get out of here. Will Check back when I get a Chance, as I've Enjoyed following This Thread, for SOME Reason!   :nix: LOL
Good Luck Brother.  :up:
Hogman

DJ Baar

I pulled-out the old paperwork came with HARLEY SHOVELHEAD CV40MM "PERFORMANCE TUNED" CARB and MAIN JET 200-.076> PILOT JET #50-.020>

Going to advance timing a couple degrees, adjust the solid lifter pushrods (haven't yet since fresh build, only a couple hundred miles on engine but TIGHT), put carb back, & go from there....

Thank you ALL for your feedback.  This has been the most frustrating Harley I have had!  LoL   :idunno:

DJ Baar

Got the part in for the carb today VOES nipple), and finished installing and wiring the new VOES switch.  (It is still turned-off while I fine tune carb.)  My Friends AJ & Marty were bye and helped with a couple extra hands to install the carb.  We started bike and it was leaking BIG TIME out (or thru) the accelerator pump!  Luckily I had a new James Gasket to put in.  The other, like the rest of the "premium" gasket kit I got from J&P failed me (see picture).  The crimped center piece actually came apart as you see in the picture, and the rubber gasket was literally flaking apart!!!  Got it back together with new gasket and ALL appears OK.  Need to fine tune it now, but later --- need some dinner.  Thanks to all my Friends that helped with some advice!!  ;-)

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Hogman

WOW! Haven't seen one do THAT Before. Replaced about 25 or 30 in the last couple of years, just because they went Rock Hard, or they Started a sort of Delamination thing....... Fingered it was The GREAT Fuel we have here........  :dgust: LOLOL
Good Luck my Friend! Yur Getting 'er.   :up:
Hogman

DJ Baar

second one this year - last one came with carb 4 years ago, this one came from a "premium" kit from J&P --- It now also has a JAMES gasket.  (Had to replace the bowl gasket cause it failed with the JAMES kit, but didn't think this one went bad until I had gas going everywhere leaking as I hit accelerator!)  Live and learn.

Hogman

second one this year - last one came with carb 4 years ago, this one came from a "premium" kit from J&P --- It now also has a JAMES gasket.  (Had to replace the bowl gasket cause it failed with the JAMES kit, but didn't think this one went bad until I had gas going everywhere leaking as I hit accelerator!)  Live and learn.

No Comment on the "Premium" Kit...... Don't want to get the Boot for saying something Negative. I Personally, have had GREAT Luck with ALL the JAMES Gaskets I've used, (LOTTTTS of 'em over the years....  :up:) But Some have apparently.
Yep, sure wished ya lived closer to me, I'd Love to Help Play with that Beast of Yours. I'm a HANDS-ON kind of guy, MUCH More than a SLOW Typing not able to EXPLAIN kind of Guy....... LOL
I Laugh, but it's True!
I KNOW You'll Get 'er Nailed Bro, I Have LOTS of Faith in ya! (AND The Brothers on here That CAN Explain, (and do Pics If Need be....) and Don't Mind Helping etc.) :up:  :up:
Hogman

DJ Baar

Thanks Hogman --- all helpful feedback was MOST APPRECIATED!  Think I almost got 'er - next a good ride or two to confirm all good   :chop:

Hogman

Hogman

Hogman

Quote from: DJ Baar on May 16, 2014, 06:53:35 PM
Thanks Hogman --- all helpful feedback was MOST APPRECIATED!  Think I almost got 'er - next a good ride or two to confirm all good   :chop:

How we making out DJ? Just curious. Got to thinking that I haven't seen any Posts from Ya Lately, ya MUST be  :bike:, or,  :chop: LOL
Let us Know Bro.
Hogman

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hogman

We Need One of these,  :smileo:  But With a Yawner........   :wink: LOLOL 
Hogman