A review of a new to USA muffler packing material

Started by bogiediver, April 22, 2014, 10:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Templar2

Durability?  Have used the mulitwrap SS and it shows no sign of wear after 5K!  Sound is good, but still a bit loud (so what, right?) but this stuff looks interesting if it lasts.

bogiediver

Quote from: Ancient on May 26, 2016, 05:04:27 AM
A question sir, did you purchase the material or was it provided to you?

The original blanket product was provided, the 'boa' was purchased.

Though, not sure how that matters with regard to the review and my opinion of the performance.

bogiediver

Quote from: Templar2 on May 26, 2016, 06:56:58 AM
Durability?  Have used the mulitwrap SS and it shows no sign of wear after 5K!  Sound is good, but still a bit loud (so what, right?) but this stuff looks interesting if it lasts.

A little early to tell on the 'Boa' style...  had it installed for about 2k this year...

The blanket product I had in for over 25k ('14 & '15 riding seasons here), with no noticeable degradation (i.e. sound level didn't noticeably change from the initial installation and there was no threads being expelled).  But, in the interest of full disclosure, I did not pull the baffles from the old V&H to look.  Sold them to another who is still using them.

I would expect the same from the boa since it's made from the same type of glass material; but, only time will tell.

GunShyKennedy

May 29, 2016, 10:43:58 PM #28 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:50:28 PM by GunShyKennedy
I've found some of the blanket stuff, the original review type material on ebay and have bought some.
That's ebay in Australia.
Here's the item number for the 300mm wide stuff.  331057174335

Listed Description:
ACOUSTAFIL PTX SILENCER MUFFLER PACKING 300mm Wide x 1 Metre.

No more expensive here online than most of the fibreglass product it replaces.
cheers,
richo

Thumper Buttercup

I ordered two packs of the Boa packing for our Supertrapp SuperMeg
pipe today.

We were getting some noise from the old Supertrapp packing and hopefully
this will fix her up.  I'll post up some photos when we get the package
and repack ours.
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

Ancient

Quote from: bogiediver on May 26, 2016, 07:21:39 AM

Though, not sure how that matters with regard to the review and my opinion of the performance.

I didn't imply it weighted your opinion of the product, although the fact a company gave you the product does give that impression. I doubt if any random person called a company and said they would like to try a product free of charge they would have much success. I would assume you mentioned your site and that you review motorcycle products and then link your review on popular motorcycle forums. 

Seems to me if someone accepts something gratis that they plan on testing and reviewing for their own website, that would constitute an affiliation with the company, that gifted you the product, would it not? Is my thinking all wrong here?

Greg

Kansas

As many of the loyal HD owners age, the thrill of a loud exhaust has morphed into an annoyance. There is nothing cool about listening to the incessant noise as you ride up a mountain, or need a mega watt stereo to hear the weather forecast. Glad to read this thread.

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: Ancient on May 31, 2016, 03:04:07 PM
Quote from: bogiediver on May 26, 2016, 07:21:39 AM

I didn't imply it weighted your opinion of the product, although the fact a company gave you the product does give that impression. I doubt if any random person called a company and said they would like to try a product free of charge they would have much success. I would assume you mentioned your site and that you review motorcycle products and then link your review on popular motorcycle forums. 

Seems to me if someone accepts something gratis that they plan on testing and reviewing for their own website, that would constitute an affiliation with the company, that gifted you the product, would it not? Is my thinking all wrong here?

When I e-mailed them today I had referenced that I had read a review on their product
on a Harley site.  The guy who I worked with even requested a link to our site and the
link for the review.

The guy I talked to today was a Product Design Engineer and seemed a pretty good guy.

I'm paying for two of the 400g bags and shipping.

One thing that always impressed the reviews from bogiedirver is how well articulated
and factual they are.  I'm running the Truck-Lite head and spot lights also from his review.

Thumper Buttercup

OK,

We pulled our baffle and packing out the other day, the packing was very brittle and broke up easy,  the end was burnt to a crisp with pieces falling out when the packing came out, infact the baffle pulled out and the packing stayed in the bike.  Looking at the baffle when we installed it the last few inches to the front were not covered by the packing when it got installed on the bike.

Here is the package tops of the new boa baffle material.

We ordered the packing and two packs came to $57 with shipping.  Each pack comes with with 6 32" lengths of the packing material.

Here is a shot of the material close up.

At first I installed 4 pieces of the boa material, here is a shot of it before I attempted to install it.

It was too tight in the front to install this way so I pulled off the last piece and reinstalled the last strip extending it to the end.  The fit was really tight and I ended up using a rubber mallet to get the last couple inches into the muffler.

We buttoned up the bike and I started her up, the exhaust has a very deeper note now and does not sound like it's leaking through the packing like it was before.  It will be interesting to see how it behaves once we get the exhaust really hot and the packing material expands out to it's fullest.

With our Supertrapp SuperMeg we could have gotten away with one package but we are good if we need it again for any reason.

I'll post back up when we have a few more miles on it.

GunShyKennedy

I spoke with a fellow at the factory in the UK who sent me an XL file which formulates (calculates the parameters) for filling the baffles with the correct amount of material, depending on the attenuation desired from minimum to maximum.
This formula is used by Akrapovic, who use Acousta-fil in their mufflers.
Dunno how to attach such a file here. FSG, I say, Gary, maate  :smile:

================================

Arrived an hour ago with the post.
Cut to the appropriate length, wrapped around baffle firmly, taped with green masking tape.
Easy to work with, cuts with scissors, no messy itchy fibres.
A neat fit. started and ran engine for 10 minutes.
Obviously quieter, will be more so when the stitching melts at operating temperatures. Cadence sounds more even.

Biggest rain here in 100 years according to the weather bureau.

Will report when I've had a 30 minute run.
Modify message

=================================

After a decent ride, the idle is a little quieter, softer to my ear.
Highway speeds have quietened significantly to an extent where the exhaust is barely audible on cruise.
Accelerating still gives a pleasant bark.

Well pleased with the result and the economical cost of the product.

cheers,
richo

FSG

Quote from: GunShyKennedy on June 04, 2016, 08:47:30 PM
I spoke with a fellow at the factory in the UK who sent me an XL file which formulates (calculates the parameters) for filling the baffles with the correct amount of material, depending on the attenuation desired from minimum to maximum.
This formula is used by Akrapovic, who use Acousta-fil in their mufflers.
Dunno how to attach such a file here. FSG, I say, Gary, maate  :smile:

Send me the XL file via email.   : :teeth:

See the attached AAA_INFILL_CALC_Fabric.xls File, it's actually a xlsx file, so when saving add the x to the extension then open with Excel.

IronMike113

Is this the same that is in Eau Clair Wi, (Culimete-Saveguard LLC)
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on June 08, 2016, 03:02:36 PM
Is this the same that is in Eau Clair Wi, (Culimete-Saveguard LLC)

Yep they sell the Boa stuff, with the trans fee we were about $58 for two bags.

GunShyKennedy

Here's a link for anyone in Australia interested in purchasing the product.
Helpful folk.

http://www.thermalvelocity.com.au/default.asp?
cheers,
richo

dynamagic

Great review Gary & cheers Richo for the link ... save me some homework mate  :up:

camel

How do you repack a 2 into 1 Thunder headers?