September 21, 2024, 12:55:12 AM

News:

valve train upgrades

Started by HotRodShovel, April 10, 2014, 06:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodShovel

Monty, thanks again for the reply.  I know exactly what you mean about the "experts".  Thats everywhere, man.  There are the "ol' reliable" guys here who really know their stuff. We know who they are.  Kirby (prodrag1320) is one of them and he's done a lot for me.  He's helped me in many ways, very good man.   He's the only one I worked with but as I said, there are others here who do lots of work for guys and are no less credible.  But yeah..the "experts"  I know...
Anyhow, there is so much information out there its sometimes difficult to weed through all the opinions.  Thats the beauty of this.  There are a sh*t load of ways to skin this cat. Some work better than others. 
Your bike is almost a dead on build as mine except for the jug height. I have the paperwork filed away from T&O.  I gotta dig it out.  I remember verifying it so its accurate. 
My bro Shovelbill (also a fountain of good info) is pals with M.S.  His stuff is more than nice but I'm in the same boat...his stuff is quality and it ain't cheap.   I'll hook up with Kirby and have my stock heads brought up to snuff.
I appreciate the time, you have been very helpful Monty.  More than you know.   :up:

Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

HotRodShovel

Kirby, stand by for a call.....Bill, there we go.
John

HotRodShovel

Here is an update on my valve train upgrade.  These conclusions drawn after several conversations, much advice and a lot of research. 
First I've decided to keep my Shovel a shovel.  Don't get me wrong, the EVO upgrade is probably the correct technology but I'm a sentimental fool.
So I'll keep my stock rocker arms and top end oiling.
I'll also keep Shovel lifter blocks and dump the solid lifters and go hydraulic.
Here remains the question.  If I can find a set of Velva Touch Shovelhead lifters without giving up any organs I'll do it.  If not, my options are limited.  Jims, Vulcan etc.   
I short listed cams and decided on an Andrews 7.
That's right Mark.  But you know I had to do the work.  There is more than just taking advise.  I know more about the valve train now than I ever did.  The big mystery for me was the cam choices. So I'm keeping the lift at a modest .510.  It will suit my motor and riding style. 
I will have my heads worked a bit including 10mm compression releases and " d" them. 
New triple valve springs and that's a wrap. 
If I can just find my lifters I'll be happy. Heads can wait a month or so. 

John

shovelbill

Quote from: hotrodshovel on April 23, 2014, 08:51:09 PM
Here is an update on my valve train upgrade.  These conclusions drawn after several conversations, much advice and a lot of research. 
First I've decided to keep my Shovel a shovel.  Don't get me wrong, the EVO upgrade is probably the correct technology but I'm a sentimental fool.
So I'll keep my stock rocker arms and top end oiling.
I'll also keep Shovel lifter blocks and dump the solid lifters and go hydraulic.
Here remains the question.  If I can find a set of Velva Touch Shovelhead lifters without giving up any organs I'll do it.  If not, my options are limited.  Jims, Vulcan etc.   
I short listed cams and decided on an Andrews 7.
That's right Mark.  But you know I had to do the work.  There is more than just taking advise.  I know more about the valve train now than I ever did.  The big mystery for me was the cam choices. So I'm keeping the lift at a modest .510.  It will suit my motor and riding style. 
I will have my heads worked a bit including 10mm compression releases and " d" them. 
New triple valve springs and that's a wrap. 
If I can just find my lifters I'll be happy. Heads can wait a month or so.

i'll call Dave tomorrow.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

shovelbill

i'd also ask Kirby to set them up for a L51.......ya never know  :wink:

think about the different valve spring pressure......gotta run the proper seat pressure for the 7 grind.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

HotRodShovel

Yeah Bill, the L51 was a big consideration for me but it's a well known hard cam.  Honestly for what I want to get out f my bike it's maybe a bit too harsh. 
John

Ohio HD

Only thing I would do different for myself, I would forgo the triple springs, and use Leineweber double springs. Unless you need the extreme high RPM protection of triple springs, they just over tax the Shovel hydraulics.

76shuvlinoff

:up:
Can't wait to hear how this comes out for you.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

Thanks Ohio.  I currently have S&S double which give me .550.  They are 16 years old and need to be replaced. I agree the triple springs are over kill.  Will replace double.  Enough lift. 
Thanks Mark.  Me too. 
John

monty101

Here are 11 evo cams that are not for that drag strip. I am sure some are run with 6 speed overdrive tranny. None but the ev72  have duration that exceed 256.

a shovel cam like the 7 has a more overlap/duration than a b cam. My b cam did not have enough
power to get into 6th without lugging down unless I was running at least 90 mph.  Maybe the
addition lift will provide you the power you need for the 6th gear .85 to 1 gearing. I honestly don't know. I do think the fast ramps cause the l51 to have the 6th speed power I needed. I looked at :

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/images/2014-Catalog/2014-page13.pdf

at evo cams that run 6 speeds. I suspect the the ev51 would pull a 6 speed in a shovel and if you called andrews they could tell you. It's duration is 252. Like I said I may switch one day and I will probably go with a Woods6 or maybe another cam similar to the ev51.

If I decide the cam is too hard on my motor I will change to another cam but that day has not arrived yet. I'll do some checking when I do change but why change except for the noise the l51 is perfect for my scooter. The Woods6 has the low duration and will have the low end power like a l3s but a lift and high end horsepower comparable to what you will have with the andrews 7 cam.

Problem is the .85 to 1 duration tranny and no comparable cams sold that were designed for that configuration at road speeds except of course the evo. All those evo cams have the reputation of not being hard on the lifters and rocker arms. The shovel cams aren't designed for that configuration.

If it does not have the power to pull 6th I guess you can always change you sprockets.

I've done my best to explain what I know so I am out of here. Good luck whatever you decide.

HotRodShovel

Monty, your input is invaluable to me cause you are running a very similar rig.  You know how it goes with cams. I don't think anyone has ever just plunked one in, with all the research done, and been satisfied.  I'm not ruling out that L51.  There is always the possibility that the Andrews 7 just does not cut it for me. 
I'm just going to keep it Shovel in the valve train.

Having your input gives me a real world application to compare all this to.  I mean its not just "I think....because...."   

So don't go too far, brother.   :up:
John